Holy shit guys, we're 5 and 2!

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1320026177' post='1053861']
I still don't think we are really good or can compete with the Ravens or the Steelers of the world. I don't think we have played a good team yet. Still pleasantly surprised by how good we are but I would not be surprised if we lose a majority of the games we have left.
[/quote]

Seriously?? WE cant compete against the Ravens, a team that Jax beat and Arizona dominated for a half before blowing it. So Jax and Arizona can compete with them, but we cant? Thats just ridiculous.

I mean are we as good or better then them? Who knows at this point, but to say we cant compete with a team that lost to one of the worst teams in football last week, and almost lost to another terrible team is just stupid.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1320028246' post='1053890']
Holy shit do the Saints suck....they just got beaten by the RAMS! New Orleans will NEVER win a Super Bowl...mark it down!
[/quote]
St.Louis got a good win. Sure. I think this team will have their way with them though.

They have been pretty bad so far this year.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1320028409' post='1053896']

Seriously?? WE cant compete against the Ravens, a team that Jax beat and Arizona dominated for a half before blowing it. So Jax and Arizona can compete with them, but we cant? Thats just ridiculous.

I mean are we as good or better then them? Who knows at this point, but to say we cant compete with a team that lost to one of the worst teams in football last week, and almost lost to another terrible team is just stupid.
[/quote]

Time will tell. We have to beat Tennessee first...but how huge is being 6-2 going against the Steelers at PBS going to be in two weeks if that happens? It will be EPIC!

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1320028526' post='1053898']
St.Louis got a good win. Sure. I think this team will have their way with them though.

They have been pretty bad so far this year.
[/quote]

/sarcasm

The Saints had a bad day against a bad team.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1320028409' post='1053896']

[/quote]

We already know how to beat the Ravens - stifle their offense, make them respect the run, make some plays downfield, and don't make mistakes. Doing it is hard, but the recipe is well known. I don't see us missing anypiece that makes us unable to do that. We have all the tools.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1320028663' post='1053900']

Time will tell. We have to beat Tennessee first...but how huge is being 6-2 going against the Steelers at PBS going to be in two weeks if that happens? It will be EPIC!

/sarcasm

The Saints had a bad day against a bad team.
[/quote]

Karma for running up the score last week. Mark it down.

I tire of Joe Flacco and his apologists. He just isn't that great and never has been, Our front seven will rape then murder him, while keeping him alive long enough to get a message through to his Mommy that he loves her. We're nasty up front on defense, but we're also nice like that.

It is surprising and pretty awesome. Yes, they've had an easy schedule, but who cares?

I divide the rest of the season into 2 parts: 4 games against the Steelers and Ravens, and 5 games against other teams (Texans, at Titans, Browns, at Rams, Cardinals). If the Bengals go 4-1 against the "other teams" they only have to go 1-3 against the Steelers and Ravens to reach 10 wins. If they split against the Ravens and Steelers, they only need to go 3-2 against the "other teams" to reach 10 wins. 10 wins usually makes the playoffs, and there seems to be a very possible path to 10 wins.

[quote name='top6' timestamp='1320030302' post='1053931']
It is surprising and pretty awesome. Yes, they've had an easy schedule, but who cares?

I divide the rest of the season into 2 parts: 4 games against the Steelers and Ravens, and 5 games against other teams (Texans, at Titans, Browns, at Rams, Cardinals). If the Bengals go 4-1 against the "other teams" they only have to go 1-3 against the Steelers and Ravens to reach 10 wins. If they split against the Ravens and Steelers, they only need to go 3-2 against the "other teams" to reach 10 wins. 10 wins usually makes the playoffs, and there seems to be a very possible path to 10 wins.
[/quote]

That's a good way to think about it.

The crappy thing about the AFC this year though is that 2 of the divisions are so bad (West and South) that the North and East could both really rack up a lot of wins against them.

It's basically looking like there are 4 spots for 6 teams from the North and East. It's New England, Buffalo, NY Jets, Pitt, Balt. and Cincy. 2 division winners and 2 wild cards from that group.

It's almost definitely going to take at least 10 wins. So we're looking at needing to go 5-4 to have a realistic shot at it. If you assume that we handle our 3 "easy" games (Cleveland, Stl, and Zona), we'd only need 2-5 in the other games. That's why today and next week are so huge. Beat the Titans next week and handle the 3 "easy" ones and we're at 9 wins and could conceivably go 1-4 against Houston, Pitt and B'more and still make it...

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1320028023' post='1053884']
[b]BengalsOwn[/b], we don't allow sock accounts here. Its against the rules.
[/quote]

Oh c'mon, I'm enjoying the wins just as much as everyone else.

Nobody rational could have assumed we'd be in this position before the season started.

[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1320028371' post='1053895']
This is the most complete and surprising Bengals team I ever remember watching. They defy the odds, win on the west coast, beat teams they are statistically supposed to lose to. We are definitely playoff bound. Who-Dey!!!???
[/quote]

They were off everyone's radar then too. It took a while for the bandwagon to return, ...but it did later that year.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1320038837' post='1053980']

Nobody rational could have assumed we'd be in this position before the season started.
[/quote]

Fans aren't supposed to be rational. That's what makes them fans.

[quote name='dabengals12' timestamp='1320027797' post='1053878']Wtf? I have been watching ESPN news and SNF all night and not one highlight of the Bengals win. But I gave seen the Stoolers win 900 times? Operation media blackout is still in effect. I say good, let's fly under radar all year.[/quote]

Two weeks and we will see how much they talk about the stoolers..... thier ass is ours...... especially our favorite fags.... buttlisburger and whineyhiney... they ain't played this front seven on either side of the ball.... i'm going to love this

Even if we lose both Raven, and both Steeler games (which I think we pull 1 maybe 2 wins out of the 4) we will still have home games against Cleveland (win), Arizona (win), Houston (probably win), and road games against St. Louis (win), Tennessee (probably win)..

Ok so say we win 1 out of 4 with the Steelers, and Ravens.. And we win 2 out of the 3 home games against Houston, Cleveland, and Arizona... And we win 1 out of 2 against St.Louis, and Tennessee....

That would put us at 9-7... That's WORST CASE SCENARIO!

Now best case is probably 2 of 4 wins against Steelers/Ravens, and winning the 4 of the other 5 against the weak non division teams and Cleveland. That's 11-5. I would put it somewhere between best case and worst case which is 10-6.

[quote name='BengalBacker' timestamp='1320028365' post='1053894']

Logically, I have to agree, but I really think this is a team that should be measured by size of the fight in the dog, rather than the size of the dog in the fight. These puppies don't quit.
[/quote]

I give all the credit in the world to the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators coaching these guys.

The last play of the first half where they stuffed the Seagulps at the line and wasted enough time (few seconds) to not allow them to get up and spike and
run another play ... Peko even (illegally) slapped the ball away in the end zone... very smart heads up football. Showed that not only are they REALLY well
coached but their heads were in the game.

[/quote]
Oh c'mon....I'm just messing around man.

[/quote]

Oh I beg to differ. I provided plenty of reason and logic. You and a lot of others here
just chose to ignore it. But that's alright. Not like I'm going to dig up an old thread to
prove my point or anything.

[size=6][b]Bengals 5-2 Start Speaks Loudly [/b][/size]
[size=1][color=#666666]Posted by Dan Hoard Posted on October 31, 2011 – 2:55 am [/color][/size]

The Seattle Seahawks have retired three uniform numbers.

#80 for wide receiver Steve Largent.

#71 for offensive lineman Walter Jones.

And #12 for the “12[sup][size=1]th[/size][/sup] man.”

There’s a reason why Seattle is 62-37 at home since moving into CenturyLink Field in 2002. The partial roof that covers approximately 70% of the seats and the steep upper deck trap the crowd noise and make it nearly impossible for visiting offensive players to hear each other. In 2005, the New York Giants had 11 false starts in one game.

But relying on a silent snap count, the Bengals only had two such penalties on Sunday, and allowed one sack in a 34-12 win over the Seahawks.

“That is a seriously loud place to play,” said left tackle Andrew Whitworth. “It’s the closest thing you’re going to get to a playoff atmosphere. That’s the loudest place that I’ve played in and I’m proud of this young team coming out here and doing what it took to win the ballgame.”

“The only guy that struggled with the silent count a little bit was Andre Smith who jumped a couple of times, but everybody else did a great job,” said my radio partner Dave Lapham. “They changed up the silent count so Seattle’s defensive line couldn’t get a jump on it and really executed well.”

“The thing that people don’t understand is that this isn’t a loud place on third down – this is a loud place on every single down,” said Whitworth. “You can’t hear anything whether the quarterback is under center or not. You’re literally just looking at the ball trying to play. You’re reacting the entire time rather than just playing. To get out of here without making too many mistakes shows the poise of a young football team.”

Visiting rookie quarterbacks were 1-6 at CenturyLink Field before Andy Dalton joined Tampa Bay’s Josh Freeman as the only rookies to win there.

“It was a team win,” said Dalton. “It wasn’t one phase that did it – we did it in all three. It’s good to see. It wasn’t a perfect game, but we were able to get out of here with a win.”

“It was a hard-fought game,” said head coach Marvin Lewis. “There were things we did very well in all three phases and things that we have to do better. The coaches will go to work and we’ll get started on Tennessee tomorrow.”

With their fourth straight win, the Bengals improved to 5-2, meaning there are only four teams in the NFL with better records: Green Bay (7-0), San Francisco (6-1), Pittsburgh (6-2), and Detroit (6-2).

“It’s seven games,” said linebacker Brandon Johnson. “We have a long road ahead and we’ve only played one division game. We still have our division opponents coming up and this was not even a conference game. This was just a good road win. Anytime you can win on the road is good – it means your team is battle-tested, it means you’re prepared, and it means you’re poised and can go out on the field and handle adversity.”

“We got some things changed this year and got some new guys in here with new attitudes,” said Whitworth. “The leaders of this team and the guys that have the biggest roles are doing things the way you’re supposed to do ‘em. It’s creating a ‘next man’ attitude where every guy is waiting for their chance to prove that they can do it too. That’s what is helping us be successful.”

“It’s a lot of fun playing with these guys,” said Dalton. “Everybody is rooting for each other and we’re on the same page. We have to keep pushing and keep grinding because we still have more than half of the season to go.”

How about Adam Jones?

In his first game back after missing more than a year with a neck injury, Jones was on the field for one play and made it count, returning a punt 63 yards to set up the Bengals first touchdown. Adam probably would have sprinted 89 yards for a touchdown if he didn’t strain his hamstring on the return, forcing him to sit out the rest of the game.

“I was just trying to make a play,” said Jones. “I’m expected to do these things. I’m not bragging or anything, but it was a great block, the ball was deep and I love those kinds of plays. I just have to stay healthy. I could have gone back in and played, but there was no use to go out there and pull it when we play Tennessee next week.”

“He’s one of those guys where we’ll all excited when he gets to touch it,” said Whitworth. “I’m proud of him and they way he stepped in there. He got a little tweak, but he’ll be alright.”

In fact, Jones says that he will definitely play next week against the team that originally drafted him 6[sup][size=1]th[/size][/sup] overall in 2005.

“I can’t wait,” said Jones. “Believe it. It’s going to be a real show next week buddy. You can bet on that.”

[url="http://blogs.bengals.com/2011/10/31/bengals-5-2-start-speaks-loudly/"]http://blogs.bengals...-speaks-loudly/[/url]

[/quote]

Nobody rational could have realized how easy our front half of the schedule was and how good our D could be? That combined with a QB that we thought wouldnt make big mistakes and could just control the game...definitely not rational.

[b]6. [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/CIN"]Bengals[/url] emerge[/b]

Ryan Wilson and I said before the season that the Bengals, by virtue of a puff-pastry-filled early-season schedule, could start out hot and win a few more games than anyone expected. They've done just that after [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/recap/NFL_20111030_CIN@SEA"]a dominant 34-12 win in Seattle on Sunday[/url] moved them to 5-2.

Everyone is surprised ... except the Bengals. Naturally.

"To the people on the outside, they may be surprised and what not," cornerback [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/412010"]Leon Hall[/url] said. "Every season we come in expecting to win. Just hopefully, we've got some big games coming up, so we execute in those games."

Hall's speaking to the widely-held belief that the Bengals will fade with Baltimore and Pittsburgh showing up on the sked twice each in the second half of the season. That might be presumptuous, though, because this Bengals team is quietly becoming legit.

Beating the [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/SEA"]Seahawks[/url] doesn't exactly make them the Super Bowl favorites or anything, but their success is coming with a pretty simple formula that's been forgotten in this day of high-scoring NFL games: defense.

Lest you forget, the [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/NYJ"]Jets[/url] made the AFC Championship game two years ago with a rookie quarterback, a stout running game and the best defense in the NFL. The Bengals aren't as good on the ground as the Jets (or even close really) and not as good on defense, but [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1125961"]Andy Dalton[/url]'s better than [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/559373"]Mark Sanchez[/url] and [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1673207"]A.J. Green[/url]'s better than [url="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2009.htm#rushing_and_receiving::14"]any of the receiving options the Jets had then[/url].

Cincinnati's top-five defense will get a couple bigger tests soon in the form of the Steelers, the Ravens and a game against the [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/HOU"]Texans[/url], but the Bengals also get the [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/TEN"]Titans[/url], the [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/CLE"]Browns[/url], the Rams and the Cardinals the rest of the way home.

Which means there's actually a decent chance they get to double-digit victories and one of the more shocking playoff berths we've seen in a while.

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/33049284"]http://www.cbssports...475988/33049284[/url]

Archived