What happened?

Haven't seen the game on TV - and they probably won't include this bit in the replay.

Saw this from the sidelines..
1st half - Benson gets tripped up by Finnegan on a play that may have broken for a TD.
Benson returns to sidelines and blows up in Gruden's face.
Next offensive possession Scott takes all the snaps up until they get to scoring position.
Did they cover this on TV? Just wondering what the deal was..

No blowup that I saw. There was a brief moment after a play where Benson was kinda smiling/laughing, turned to the sidelines and at first was pointing, but then flipped the bird. Again, it looked like he was joking/laughing.

Besides that, it looked like they were simply rotating Scott in a few series thru the course of the game like they've done in the recent past.

[quote name='BENGALS666' timestamp='1320700081' post='1058425']
Hmm.. Yeah he was blowing up for 30 secs at least after the Finny trip-up. Scott came in and Benson didn't return until they reached scoring position..
[/quote]

Maybe he was just telling the coach how close he came to breaking it. The switch to Scott is what we always do since Marvin made it a priority to give him more carries.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1320701933' post='1058430']

Maybe he was just telling the coach how close he came to breaking it. The switch to Scott is what we always do since Marvin made it a priority to give him more carries.
[/quote]

Why even try to guess what happened, and dispute what 666 saw in person, when you didn't see it happen?

And taking out Benson for nearly an entire quarter in order to give Scott carries is fucking stupid.

I have no idea as far as this specific incident, but Cedric does often seem a little too concerned with his stats and his touches as opposed to team success.

I'm sure he'd say that he wants the touches b/c that's what he thinks the team needs to get Ws, but still, he needs to chill his shit a little bit.

I do agree with others that he's the closest thing we have to a malcontent on this team (which goes to show how few issues we have for once) and it would probably be wise to go a different direction at RB after this season. There are going to be some good RBs available both in FA and the draft this spring.

[quote name='BScott28' timestamp='1320703921' post='1058449']
This is the reason I didn't want Benson back, he is the last person we need to get rid off since we got rid of the other 2 headaches we had.

Bring in Trent Richardson next year and let the door hit you on the way out Benson
[/quote]
Lol. All the hate for the guy who hasn't been ALL that bad since he has been here.

Benson basically carried our offense in 09 to the playoffs.

Granted he may not be as good as he was, but he's still valuable to the team.

I may not sit directly on the sidelines but I can see most everything that happens on the sidelines during home games. Alot of players look "animated" after coming off the field. Sometimes it will be in Gruden's face or (I think) Simmon's face. Not sure what it means but Gruden seems unflappable and nothing bothers him much. Although I did see Gruden in preseason with his eyes completely bulging out when a Bengal player made a bonehead play.

Gruden sometimes has pictures in his hand (looks like field pictures) when players are "animated." May be in game adjustments (game plan and/or attitude) ??? I guess I just like it when an offensive coach is on the sidelines and it doesn't seem common that we have a delay of game and/or call a timeout because the play did not come in time from the booth...

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2011/11/07/the-morning-line-117/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2011/11/07/the-morning-line-117/[/url]

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' timestamp='1320704929' post='1058457']
Lol. All the hate for the guy who hasn't been ALL that bad since he has been here.

Benson basically carried our offense in 09 to the playoffs.

Granted he may not be as good as he was, but he's still valuable to the team.
[/quote]

And after we tossed aside our decent running game to become a piss poor passing team in '10, I was malcontented too.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1320704139' post='1058450']

Why even try to guess what happened, and dispute what 666 saw in person, when you didn't see it happen?

And taking out Benson for nearly an entire quarter in order to give Scott carries is fucking stupid.
[/quote]

I wasn't disputing what he saw, merely giving a different interpretation of the events. We have been giving Scott a series in each half for several weeks, was Ced blowing up then too?

Why is giving a good runner carries stupid? We rotate the DL, Why not rotate the RB?

I like Benson and his running style. He fights for more yardage after contact. I want to keep him but I also want Trent Richardson for the future because I know RB's lose the IT factor fast after so many years and hits. It's not a position that ages well.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1320711793' post='1058506']

I wasn't disputing what he saw, merely giving a different interpretation of the events. We have been giving Scott a series in each half for several weeks, was Ced blowing up then too?

Why is giving a good runner carries stupid? We rotate the DL, Why not rotate the RB?
[/quote]
Agreed especially since Marvin has been saying since the beginning of the year that he wanted to get Scott more touches, and in fact his number of runs has been higher the last few weeks (yeah, obviously the one where Ced was suspended, but I'm talking the weeks beside that).

Benson played well yesterday. I'm ready to be done with him though. He has a pretty shitty attitude, and he just isn't any kind of guy that defenses are really fearful of breaking a big one off. It's time to get younger and find a guy who wants to prove something.

On the topic, I hate how we sub running backs. I would run Benson for a few and put Scott in for a max two plays then go back to Cedric. This whole play them for a series just isn't too much of a change-up to any defense. Oh and running B.Scott when trying to run down the clock was beffudling. Wouldn't we want to wear them down with a bigger guy?

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1320725818' post='1058599']
Benson played well yesterday. I'm ready to be done with him though. He has a pretty shitty attitude, and he just isn't any kind of guy that defenses are really fearful of breaking a big one off. It's time to get younger and find a guy who wants to prove something.

On the topic, I hate how we sub running backs. I would run Benson for a few and put Scott in for a max two plays then go back to Cedric. This whole play them for a series just isn't too much of a change-up to any defense. [b]Oh and running B.Scott when trying to run down the clock was beffudling. Wouldn't we want to wear them down with a bigger guy?[/b]
[/quote]

Maybe... If you have succeeded in pounding and tiring the defense, it may be harder for them to keep up with a slasher with fresh legs...

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1320725388' post='1058594']
[b]Since the Bengals have 2 1st rd picks next April, I think Benson is gone and they'll go [color=#ff3300]RB[/color] (1a) & [color=#ff3300]R[/color][color=#ff3300]G[/color] (1b).[/b]
[/quote]

Is there great guard coming out? Guards are rarely taken in the first round. Of course, maybe our second 1st will be a pick after 30;) and I don't mean Oaklands pick.

Archived