THE Ohio State Football Thread

BigDawgBengal

The ESPN article totally contradicts itself.

[quote]"He passed all of the tests and he's getting ready to be released," said team spokesman Jerry Emig, who added there were no symptoms of a concussion or other serious injury.[/quote]

Then it talks about Miller as he was coming off the field and on the sidelines,

[quote]Miller didn't get up for several minutes -- he was in obvious pain -- while he was attended to by several doctors and trainers. Eventually he sat up, then stood on shaky legs for at least 60 seconds before he was led to the sidelines. He was later taken to the locker room by cart while the Buckeyes (No. 7 AP) completed a rally to beat Purdue 29-22 in overtime.[/quote]

Really? He didn't get a concussion, but yet he met all the symptoms of one? Sounds like some jockeying by the medical staff to me, that would leave the door open for a quicker return, rather than the time line of a return he would have from a diagnosed concussion.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350772119' post='1172376']
The ESPN article totally contradicts itself.

Then it talks about Miller as he was coming off the field and on the sidelines,

Really? He didn't get a concussion, but yet he met all the symptoms of one? Sounds like some jockeying by the medical staff to me, that would leave the door open for a quicker return, rather than the time line of a return he would have from a diagnosed concussion.
[/quote]Contrary to popular belief it is possible to be shaken up on a play and have concussion-like symptoms without actually having a concussion. Additionally, since it was the diagnosis at the university's medical center, where he was admitted. You are accusing the university's doctors of medical malpractice. Ain't happening man. They gain nothing and potentially lose everything. This was not the diagnosis of some med trainer on the sideline. This was the diagnosis given by multiple MD's at the hospital. Also, he moved right after he got hit, if he was knocked out he definitely would not have been moving around like that. He clearly got his bell rung, a stinger, and the air knocked out of him, but if the docs say no concussion there was no concussion. This was not an MSU and Gholston type of situation.

Urban +1

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxXLtEc_pPw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxXLtEc_pPw[/url]

[quote name='Nati Ice' timestamp='1350851593' post='1172505']
Contrary to popular belief it is possible to be shaken up on a play and have concussion-like symptoms without actually having a concussion. Additionally, since it was the diagnosis at the university's medical center, where he was admitted. You are accusing the university's doctors of medical malpractice. Ain't happening man. They gain nothing and potentially lose everything. This was not the diagnosis of some med trainer on the sideline. This was the diagnosis given by multiple MD's at the hospital. Also, he moved right after he got hit, if he was knocked out he definitely would not have been moving around like that. He clearly got his bell rung, a stinger, and the air knocked out of him, but if the docs say no concussion there was no concussion. This was not an MSU and Gholston type of situation.

Urban +1

[/quote]

The guy was so screwed up he laid on the field for a minute after the medical staff got to him. He then had to be carried off the field by two people. He didn't pass the sideline concussion test and was sent to The Ohio State University hospital, where he was reported to have a "head injury." So your saying a hospital that is part of the university would not give him a better diagnosis? If it was a "head injury," and not a concussion, what other head injury could it have possibly been? Miller was not just dinged up, if he was he would have been able to pass the initial concussion test without being sent to the hospital.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350860898' post='1172547']
The guy was so screwed up he laid on the field for a minute after the medical staff got to him. He then had to be carried off the field by two people. He didn't pass the sideline concussion test and was sent to The Ohio State University hospital, where he was reported to have a "head injury." So your saying a hospital that is part of the university would not give him a better diagnosis? If it was a "head injury," and not a concussion, what other head injury could it have possibly been? Miller was not just dinged up, if he was he would have been able to pass the initial concussion test without being sent to the hospital.
[/quote]Initial tests are just that. Initial tests. They are quick tests designed to give an initial impression. Yes, I will take a doctor's word over the results of initial testing. I don't doubt the dude was fucked up. However, it is still possible to be messed up without having a concussion. No, I do not believe the university's hospital medical staff would lie about this.

[quote name='Nati Ice' timestamp='1350864218' post='1172584']
Initial tests are just that. Initial tests. They are quick tests designed to give an initial impression. Yes, I will take a doctor's word over the results of initial testing. I don't doubt the dude was fucked up. However, it is still possible to be messed up without having a concussion. No, I do not believe the university's hospital medical staff would lie about this.
[/quote]

I guess we'll just leave it at that. I went to The Ohio State University and saw many things done wrong. When a college wants to cover something up, there really is nothing stopping them. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a sport at the University has done something unethical. If anything is easy to cover up, it would be a concussion, it's not like having a broken foot.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1350910805' post='1173633']
Then why are you a Notre Dame Fan?
[/quote]

....because I was raised a Notre Dame fan. I would have gone to Notre Dame but they don't have a Journalism program (Not sure if they do now) and I got a full ride to OSU. My final choices were Butler, Ohio University, or OSU. Butler at the time was $16K a year and I only was getting a partial scholarship because Butler is a private school and was outside Ohio. Ohio University got knocked out of contention because of the way their reps at a college fair treated me and mu buddy. We asked them about Ohio's Journalism program that is pretty well respected. The first thing said was about how hard it is to get into and that we might be disappointed. They told us how it took a 25 on the ACT and at least a 3.5 GPA. It pissed us off because they seemed obnoxious and snobby. We told them how we had both gotten 27's on the ACT and were 4.0 students. Then we told them how we wouldn't be going to OU if they were a representation of other students there, and walked away.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350915909' post='1173659']
....because I was raised a Notre Dame fan. I would have gone to Notre Dame but they don't have a Journalism program (Not sure if they do now) and I got a full ride to OSU. My final choices were Butler, Ohio University, or OSU. Butler at the time was $16K a year and I only was getting a partial scholarship because Butler is a private school and was outside Ohio. Ohio University got knocked out of contention because of the way their reps at a college fair treated me and mu buddy. We asked them about Ohio's Journalism program that is pretty well respected. The first thing said was about how hard it is to get into and that we might be disappointed. They told us how it took a 25 on the ACT and at least a 3.5 GPA. It pissed us off because they seemed obnoxious and snobby. We told them how we had both gotten 27's on the ACT and were 4.0 students. Then we told them how we wouldn't be going to OU if they were a representation of other students there, and walked away.
[/quote]

did you end up getting a journalism degree?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1350916486' post='1173660']
did you end up getting a journalism degree?
[/quote]

No, I had some family issues that derailed that. I've had a lot of regret about that in my life, but family comes first. Sois asked me about some of my background in the Debates thread in the political forum.

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/OSUADAthComm"][b]Dan Wallenberg[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]OSUADAthComm[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
Ohio State football has scheduled Oregon in 2020 and 2021. Series starts in Eugene, Ore., concludes in Columbus.[/background][/font][/color]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351023698' post='1174073']

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)][url="https://twitter.com/OSUADAthComm"][b]Dan Wallenberg[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]OSUADAthComm[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Ohio State football has scheduled Oregon in 2020 and 2021. Series starts in Eugene, Ore., concludes in Columbus.[/background][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Oregon will be a laughing stock by then. It happens all the time when OSU schedules an opponent for so far away. They get a few games that will be cupcakes no matter what year, but when it comes to out of conference, its a crap shoot.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351024035' post='1174074']
Oregon will be a laughing stock by then. It happens all the time when OSU schedules an opponent for so far away. They get a few games that will be cupcakes no matter what year, but when it comes to out of conference, its a crap shoot.
[/quote]

I guess they can't win for trying.

They are also playing Georgia both of those years, and have series with Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, TCU and Oklahoma before that. One with Texas in 2022 and 2023.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351024512' post='1174077']

They are also playing Georgia both of those years, and have series with Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, TCU and Oklahoma before that. One with Texas in 2022 and 2023.
[/quote]

Ohio State HAS schedule big name universities because every year they have games like Troy, Appalachia St, Kent, etc. I'm just trying to point out that OSUhas to hope the teams you listed stay relevant.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351024775' post='1174081']

Ohio State HAS schedule big name universities because every year they have games like Troy, Appalachia St, Kent, etc. I'm just trying to point out that OSUhas to hope the teams you listed stay relevant.
[/quote]

OSU has made it clear that under the new "BCS" rules they intend to strengthen their schedule. They might still schedule one lesser Ohio school a year, but the rest of their opponents will be stronger moving forward.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351024512' post='1174077']

[/quote]

I think the Georgia series got cancelled.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1351180717' post='1174521']
I think the Georgia series got cancelled.
[/quote]

hmm if true I haven't heard about it. I looked it up right before that post and it was still listed on the schedule.

The one site I looked at must not be updated.[url="http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/ohiostate_future.htm"]http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/ohiostate_future.htm[/url]

Georgia isn't on the official ohio state list. [url="http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/future-schedules.html"]http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/future-schedules.html[/url]

Jason, if you have been watching the score board you have to be pretty torn. This could be the year than OSU goes undefeated...and can't play in a bowl game or for the BCS Championship. With USC and Florida going down so far today that's 2 top 10 teams.

Holy crap I just saw Oregon put up 70 points today against Colorado!

Archived