THE Ohio State Football Thread

BigDawgBengal

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351382644' post='1175072']
Jason, if you have been watching the score board you have to be pretty torn. This could be the year than OSU goes undefeated...and can't play in a bowl game or for the BCS Championship. With USC and Florida going down so far today that's 2 top 10 teams.

Holy crap I just saw Oregon put up 70 points today against Colorado!
[/quote]

I think bama and Oregon both go undefeated anyways...even if osu had the chance to play in the national championship they would likely get embarrassed this year. Still technically have a shot at an ap national championship though!

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1351383364' post='1175076']
I think bama and Oregon both go undefeated anyways...even if osu had the chance to play in the national championship they would likely get embarrassed this year. Still technically have a shot at an ap national championship though!
[/quote]

I honestly can't say which is the better team at this point. I do think it would be harder for Alabama to go undefeated including the SEC Championship game. I guess that would give them the #1 position going into that game, but it really doesn't make a difference because the winner would get the big glass candy dish.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1351383364' post='1175076']
[/quote]

Oregon/Kansas State would be fun to watch, but I also think KState would romp them.

Its tough to read Alabama. They're really good, but its also a down year for the SEC.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351386760' post='1175091']
Oregon/Kansas State would be fun to watch, but I also think KState would romp them.

Its tough to read Alabama. They're really good, but its also a down year for the SEC.
[/quote]

Things weren't looking down in the SEC until today. They had Alabama #1, Florida #2, Georgia #10, and South Carolina #13.

Well, depending on the Notre Dame and Oklahoma game, it could be a huge clash between Oklahoma and Kansas State.

Braxton Miller is more like a Michael Vick clone than a Terrel Pryor type of player. He has more speed and an adequate but not great arm.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351387127' post='1175095']
Things weren't looking down in the SEC until today. They had Alabama #1, Florida #2, Georgia #10, and South Carolina #13.

Well, depending on the Notre Dame and Oklahoma game, it could be a huge clash between Oklahoma and Kansas State.

Braxton Miller is more like a Michael Vick clone than a Terrel Pryor type of player. He has more speed and an adequate but not great arm.
[/quote]

just because teams are ranked high doesn't mean the teams are as good as previous years. And to be honest, 3 teams in the top 10 is actually low for the SEC. They typically have 4 and sometimes 5.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351387127' post='1175095']

[/quote]

Braxton has a good arm, he just still needs to refine his mechanics.

But he's Barry Sanders running the ball.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351387305' post='1175098']
just because teams are ranked high doesn't mean the teams are as good as previous years. And to be honest, 3 teams in the top 10 is actually low for the SEC. They typically have 4 and sometimes 5.
[/quote]

Sorry, there is actually 6 teams in the top 13 spots that are SEC. I was looking at the list playing today. LSU is ranked 6th and Mississippi State is #11.

That's almost 50% of the top 13 teams from the SEC.

just checked the stats and was surprised to see how close Miller's are to Collin Klein's, the Heisman frontrunner. Miller has a significant advantage in total yardage, but Klein has 4 more TD's and a better completion percentage. Surprisingly, they're tied in passing TD's but Klein actually has a 4 TD advantage in rushing TD's.

Klein is clearly ahead, but I was surprised at just how close Miller was.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351429392' post='1175136']
just checked the stats and was surprised to see how close Miller's are to Collin Klein's, the Heisman frontrunner. Miller has a significant advantage in total yardage, but Klein has 4 more TD's and a better completion percentage. Surprisingly, they're tied in passing TD's but Klein actually has a 4 TD advantage in rushing TD's.

Klein is clearly ahead, but I was surprised at just how close Miller was.
[/quote]

If OSU were "eligible" I think Miller would be right there with him.

Barner's stats are inflated because of the style of offense he plays in and the quality of players around him. Chip Kelly is a good coach and he doesn't give free passes to players on his team that screw up, no matter how important they are to his team. Yes, he has been known to change his mind and a guy a second chance, but he still doesn't let them off scott free in order to benefit the team.

Don't read this and think I am dogging Barner completely, because I'm not. He is one hell of a good running back, and this has been his year to shine, after so long of playing second fiddle to someone else.

Miller's inconsistent play as a thrower is what is hurting him right now. His 6 interceptions to 12 touchdowns, and his low completion percentage of 56.6% is what is holding him back. In comparison, RG3 had a 72.4% completion percentage, 37 TD to 6 interception ratio, plus had 10 more TDs rushing and receiving. There is a huge difference in stats.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351386760' post='1175091']

[/quote]

Sorry had to do this to ya.

[quote]The SEC is the best conference in the country — that's evident with five teams ranked in the top 10 of the latest BCS standings — but another all-SEC national championship game does not appear to be in the cards.[/quote]

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/bcs-standings-week-3-notre-dame-leaps-top-012012738--ncaaf.html"]http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/bcs-standings-week-3-notre-dame-leaps-top-012012738--ncaaf.html[/url]

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351485524' post='1175331']
Sorry had to do this to ya.

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/bcs-standings-week-3-notre-dame-leaps-top-012012738--ncaaf.html"]http://sports.yahoo....738--ncaaf.html[/url]
[/quote]

Why apologize now? You respond to every one of my posts (and I have the notification list to show for it), so this is par for the course. :lol:

As for the actual topic at hand, again just because the teams are ranked in the top 10 doesn't mean they are as good of teams as previous years. LSU, Georgia, and South Carolina are all in the Top 10, but they're not good enough to be Top 10 teams. The fact that the SEC still has that many teams in the Top 10 has more to do with the lack of a dominant team in the ACC, USC having 2 losses, Oklahoma having 2 losses, OSU being ineligble (and a very down year for the Big Ten in general, who typically has 2 teams in the top 10), and Texas having a down year.

Top to bottom the Big 12 is likely the best conference in the country this year.

Come on! Most of loses any team in the SEC has is from inter-conference loses to other good teams. That's almost unavoidable. When a college team plays against other teams that will more than likely be in a bowl game, most will lose. Alabama hasn't yet, but there are still games to be played. Have you looked at Oregon's schedule? Unless something changes, they will not play a top 10 team all season.

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/brdispatch"][b]Bill Rabinowitz[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]brdispatch[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23OSU&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]OSU[/b][/url] announces a home-and-home series with Boston College in 2020 and '21, same years as Oregon series. First game is Sept. 19, '20 at home.[/background][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/brdispatch"][b]Bill Rabinowitz[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]brdispatch[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23OSU&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]OSU[/b][/url] also announces its game against North Carolina scheduled for 2015 has been moved to 9/22/2018. '17 game at UNC remains on.[/background][/font][/color]

Archived