THE Ohio State Football Thread

BigDawgBengal

Because of its incredible halftime shows, The Ohio State University Marching Band has been the subject of countless news reports around the world and “viral” videos that have been viewed by millions. This year, the band’s use of iPads revolutionized how they operate and perform, and allowed student band members to quickly learn complicated formations, as well as saving money and paper.

This groundbreaking innovation has not gone unnoticed and The Best Damn Band in the Land
is now being featured in a 90-second Apple commercial
highlighting boundary-pushing uses of the iPad from around the world. It was broadcast for the first time yesterday.

We are delighted to showcase the extraordinary talents of our students and the Marching Band on an international stage and are flattered to be recognized by and associated with one of the premier brands of creative innovation in the world. Thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm for our band.

I am hearing that Larry Johnson is now official, and this is a great get for the Buckeyes.  Good coach and recruiter, and makes PSU weaker.

Also Chris Ash has been hired as Co-DC and safeties coach.

As I understand it Fickel is still on staff, and I don't think they will fire him, but he is being "encouraged" to find something else.

Larry Johnson is a HUGE hire. Ash... meh.

The number 1 ranked player in ESPNs 2015 rankings and a top 4 LB have both tweeted about how excited they are for this hire. Not only is LJ a very good coach, but his relationships with recruits will help a ton in recruiting future D-Line talent.

Ash better take over play calling duties. Fickell sucks. Wonder what they do with Combs now. Speculation is ST Coach/Recruiting Coordinator. I'd be down with that. STs left a lot to be desired at the end of the year. 

Two more things on Ash. He has produced extensive materials about how to win playing an aggressive 4-3 and has a DVD out about tackling fundamentals for the secondary. Big issues. There is some murmuring by Wisky fans that he had his CBs play with a 7yd cushion, however the alternative thought is that was due to the players not being talented enough to play man.

Seven of OSUs 2014 commits have enrolled early at OSU.  Including their top recruit, LB Raekwon McMillan.

The complete list:

Raekwon McMillan
Liberty County (Hinesville, GA)
Raekwon McMillan Videos (Early Graduate) ILB
6-2/242 Enrolled
1/6/2014 1_1089530.jpg Curtis Samuel
Erasmus Hall (Brooklyn, NY)
Curtis Samuel Videos (Early Graduate) ATH
6-0/185 Enrolled
1/8/2014 1_1118914.jpg Johnnie Dixon
Dwyer (Palm Beach Gardens, FL)
Johnnie Dixon Videos (Early Graduate) WR
5-10/187 Enrolled
1/7/2014 1_954737.jpg Kyle Trout
Lancaster (Lancaster, OH)
Kyle Trout Videos (Early Graduate) OT
6-6/300 Enrolled
1/6/2014 1_1147922.jpg Marcelys Jones
Glenville (Cleveland, OH)
Marcelys Jones Videos (Early Graduate) OG
6-5/325 Enrolled
1/9/2014 1_906148.jpg Stephen Collier
Lee County (Leesburg, GA)
Stephen Collier Videos (Early Graduate) DUAL
6-4/208 Enrolled
1/6/2014 1_955973.jpg Sean Nuernberger
Oldham County (Buckner, KY)
Sean Nuernberger Videos (Early Graduate) K
6-2/220 Enrolled
1/6/2014

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Raekwon McMillan is making his presence felt:

Alpha Dog Established? … This next item comes from one of our best sources, but to be clear, he did not witness the incident you’re about to hear about first-hand. We know it’s the House, but we still like to inform you when we’re getting something from an eyewitness account and when it second-hand intel.

“Kwon (Raekwon McMillan) has been working his ass off intensely thus far since he's stepped on campus and he's a highly competitive kid to say the least,” the source said. “Well, he's been shadowing Luke (Fickell) constantly and when he's not with Luke he's badgering Curtis Grant for info, help on tape study and as a workout partner.

“Well, Kwon has not held back his intention to take Grant’s job from him, verbally teasing him daily that he's coming for him and telling Curtis that maybe he'll let him start just for senior day. It's been all in good, competitive nature, but (Wednesday) things got a little heated at the Woody as Curtis wasn't in the mood for Kwon’s daily badgering.

“What started as a wrestling match between the two got serious and ended with Kwon slamming Grant on his back until coach Mick (Mickey Marotti) pulled him off! Luke loved every minute of it and I guess the two made up shortly afterwards and even left the gym together, but expect a heated battle to get even nastier in the future.

“I think Kwon established who’s the alpha dog real quick!”

There is an interesting story  as to the real reason Vrabel left tOSU.

Strength coach Mickey Marotti – who is absolutely Meyer’s right-hand man, was ribbing Luke Fickell about not getting his guys excited enough before games.

Then Meyer walked in and joined in on the banter. And while we’re told Marotti’s criticism of Fickell was somewhat light-hearted, Meyer was a bit more serious. He told Fickell that he needs to do a better job of getting the defensive players emotionally ready to go before kickoff.

Well, just then Mike Vrabel walks in and hears this conversation. According to an impeccable source, Vrabel went off. He felt that Marotti and Meyer were going after Fickell unfairly and Vrabel screamed at both of them. The shouting match escalated and it got to the point where Vrabel actually put his hands on Meyer. Didn’t punch him, but did put his hands on him. (We’ve heard varying stories from two different sources: One says Vrabel put his hand around Meyer’s neck and pinned him up against a wall; the other source says Vrabel grabbed the shirt collar and it wasn’t quite as violent as the other source is making it seem.)

We’re told it didn’t happen right away since OSU was still undefeated at the time and very much in the national championship race, but eventually Vrabel was told he needed to find a new job. They decided they were going to try and keep everything in-house and make it look like an amicable split.

• 2 months later...

A student just beat Dontre Wilson at halftime of the Ohio State Spring Game.

Yea that was surprising.

Went to the game today. First time I've ever seen refs warmup before a game.

All I can say about the game...Ohio State better hope Braxton doesn't get hurt, and behind that offensive line he probably will.

Yesterday was not a good day to evaluate the O-line.  Their 2 best players did not play, and I'd guess the other starters were split between the 2 "teams".  

Plus OSU is loaded with good D-linemen.

that's a relief.  It's tough to follow the players in the spring game at the stadium as they keep mixing and matching.  It was a series before we noticed the teams switched quarterbacks.  I'm sure the TV announcers were much better at pointing out changes.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
A little snippet on the OSU defense this coming year:

**Ash Leaving Offenses In The Dust? … One of our best sources recently spoke personally with Ohio State co-defensive coordinator Chris Ash. You’ll want to sit back and enjoy this item.
“After listening to Ash talk about how nasty, mean and hard-hitting his guys will be, he had me literally wanting to suit up myself,” the source said. “Ash has had his secondary watching tape on Jack Tatum, Ronnie Lott and Richard Sherman. He wants and demands his players to play with that ferocity. He says he doesn't care if they make mistakes but your ass better be going 100 percent full-speed trying to destroy the ball carrier. Ash is so intense when he speaks to you that his passion literally spreads on to you like he's casting a spell. He says our D will be nasty and ferocious, and I for one believe him.
“I always hear Luke rave about Kwon, but it was nice to hear what Ash had to say about him. Ash thinks he's our next linebacker All-American and surefire future first-round draft pick. He will start and will be the foundation for what Ash calls his ‘terror squad’ – the meanest and nastiest defense in college football. That's what he's selling these players and even recruits on. Ash has made the defensive philosophy plain and simple: seek and destroy. I can’t wait.
“Ash talked a lot about Vonn Bell. Said he's pretty much all healed up and looking good. They say Kwon is their Ray Lewis and Vonn Bell is their Ed Reed. (Ash) says you can bank on Bell exploding on the national radar this year and being a big piece of their success.
“I can't wait for the season to start. I'm really sold on Chris Ash and what he's gonna bring to the table.”

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://thebiglead.com/2014/07/24/ohio-state-marching-band-director-fired-because-of-the-sexualized-culture/

So, this one time at Band Camp . . .

Just a case of life imitating art, for any American Pie” fans. Ohio State University announced today that band director Jonathan Waters was fired today after an internal investigation dotted all its I’s and concluded that a deep culture of sexual harassment and sexualized behavior existed in the band.

Waters was previously a member of the band, before becoming a graduate assistant and assistant director, before taking over in 2012. According to the Columbus Post-Dispatch:

Many if not all of the traditions predate Waters, but OSU leaders concluded that he didn’t do enough to stop them. The report said little about Jon Woods, the previous director who led the band for 25 years before handing the reins to Waters, who has been with the band in some role since 1995.

• 4 weeks later...
The school hasn't announced it yet, but the way they are talking on the local station is that he is done for this year. I am not saying he is done for sure(I sure hope not), but it doesn't look good.
Serious shoulder injuries for a QB can never be a good thing.

Archived