THE Ohio State Football Thread

BigDawgBengal

How the front pages look in Columbus, Ohio and in Oregon this morning
Posted by Kevin McGuire on January 13, 2015, 7:34 AM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjj

The day after a major championship game is always fun to compare and contrast how the story is told between newspapers covering teams involved in the title hunt. With Ohio State winning the first College Football Playoff national championship Monday night, The Columbus Dispatch rolled with the headline of “Undisputed Champions!” In Oregon, it was a much different story, of course.

It looks like The Columbus Dispatch, which was taking preorders for today’s editionas early as last week, went with a double-wide front page for today’s edition. Get your copy while it lasts Buckeyes fans.

columbus-dispatch.jpg?w=619&h=430

Conversely, the story in Oregon was quite different. The Ducks fell short of winning the first football national championship in school history, and the lasting image for Oregon fans may be seeing Marcus Mariota walk off the field with his head down low after throwing an interception on the final play of the game. The Oregoniancaptured Mariota making his way to the locker room.

oregonian.jpg?w=466&h=590

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/13/how-the-front-pages-look-in-columbus-ohio-and-in-oregon-this-morning/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/01/13/urban-meyer-promised-tattoo-ohio-state-national-title/21678291/

ARLINGTON, Texas — After defeating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl to advance to the College Football Playoff national championship game, Ohio State coach Urban Meyer gathered his team in the locker room and made a promise.

If we beat Oregon to win the national title, I'll get a tattoo, Meyer said.

"He promised us after we beat 'Bama in the locker room that if we won the next one, he'd get a tattoo," tight end Jeff Heuerman said.

After the Buckeyes' 48-20 victory against Oregon to win the national championship – his first at Ohio State and third overall, joining two at Florida – Meyer will need to deliver on his promise.

"I'll supervise it," Heuerman said. "Trust me. I'm going to be right next to him.

"The first thing that went through my head (after Monday night's win) is, Coach Meyer's getting a tattoo."

and I didn't want to jinx it last night, but Corso is now 172-78 in mascot head picks.  A lot better than you'd think.

Last night's game pulled an 18.5 overnight rating, "the highest metered market ever for ESPN according to Nielsen." http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/01/college-football-playoff-national-championship/ 

not shocking.  Both semi-final games were the most watched college games ever.

National Champs! What an incredible accomplishment for Urban Meyer and his players. The season looked lost after losing Braxton and getting beaten at home by Virginia Tech. The run Jones and Elliott put together the last three games is one for the record books. This team turned into a buzzsaw and simply could not be stopped. Nobody saw this coming back in September, including the coach. The scary partis that they should be loaded the next several years and this year's success was earlier than expected. It's a great time to be a fan of the Buckeyes.

Archived