THE Ohio State Football Thread

BigDawgBengal

New Ohio State quarterbacks coach says Buckeyes QB Braxton Miller is certain to return

COLUMBUS -- New Ohio State quarterbacks coach Tim Beck is still getting to know his quarterbacks. That includes fifth-year senior Braxton Miller.

One thing Beck knows about Miller at the moment? He's coming back to Ohio State.

When I asked Beck on Wednesday if he was certain Miller would be with the Buckeyes in 2015, he said, "Yes."

The status of the former two-time Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year, who sat out last season after a second shoulder surgery, is the most pressing season of Ohio State's offseason.

It seems like Miller will be back for a fifth-year senior season. His father told the Columbus Dispatch that in December. He hinted in his brief words to the crowd at the team's National Championship celebration that he'd be back. But Urban Meyer, when asked on that day, was noncommittal.

This was Beck's first meeting with reporters since he was hired to replace the departed Tom Herman, and he's entering what certainly may be the most interesting quarterback meeting room in the nation. Whether Miller will be in that room for preseason camp will of interest to fans until Beck opens the door and sees Miller sitting at his desk on the first day of camp. But Beck has spoken with Miller, and he didn't hesitate on that yes.

Another Ohio State assistant, when asked Wednesday if Miller was sticking around, indicated that Miller had been working out on the team's indoor facility. If Miller wasn't going to come back, why would he be doing that, the assistant wondered.

That's another yes. And when it comes to the status of Miller, you can never have too many yes men.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/02/new_ohio_state_quarterbacks_co.html

Beck said he is certain Braxton Miller will be at OSU this fall.

Asked if he is certain Braxton Miller will be on Ohio State team in fall, new QB coach Tim Beck just said "Yes."

Beck said he has spoken with Miller about it.

This is such an awful decision. 

That depends. I am hearing he is spending a fair amount of time running routes.

Eww. That's a major twist. I really don't think his next position is QB at all but WR maybe. I think the rise of Ezekial Elliott, to me, dictates that he transfer. But if he can play Wr/RB in the slot that might be really good. Personally I think if he can find a way to stay in Columbus and be productive that's his best route. Professionally I think he has to leave because the opportunities abound elsewhere and he only has a limited amount of time to play college football. What WRs do they have returning. Lets say he was just average at the position. Would he see the field? At 6-2 215 that's nice size for both a RB and WR. 

Eww. That's a major twist. I really don't think his next position is QB at all but WR maybe. I think the rise of Ezekial Elliott, to me, dictates that he transfer. But if he can play Wr/RB in the slot that might be really good. Personally I think if he can find a way to stay in Columbus and be productive that's his best route. Professionally I think he has to leave because the opportunities abound elsewhere and he only has a limited amount of time to play college football. What WRs do they have returning. Lets say he was just average at the position. Would he see the field? At 6-2 215 that's nice size for both a RB and WR. 

The top returning receivers are Michael Thomas, and Corey Smith on the outside and Dontre Wilson and Jalin Marshall at the H.  Given his talents with the ball in his hands, I think the H makes the most sense for Braxton.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ohio State picked up a commitment today from RB Demario McCall.  They now have 3 RBs in the class, along with Kareem Walker and George Hill.

Walker is the #1 RB in the nation.
McCall is the #3 RB in the nation.
Hill is the #4 RB in the nation.

3 of the top 4 RBs in the nation.

Obviously OSU plans on moving to the wishbone offense.

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
I should have posted this earlier. Congratulations to Zeke for winning the AAU Sullivan award as the top amateur athlete in the nation.

Past winners include Mark Spitz, Bruce Jenner, and Carl Lewis, among many others.

• 2 weeks later...

5 star DE recruit Nick Bosa has named his top 3.  Florida, FSU, and Ohio State.

He is the #2 SSDE in the nation, and the #2 recruit in Florida.

If the last name sounds familiar, it should.  :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Four star WR Austin Mack, 6'2" 205# committed to tOSU today giving them 16 total recruits and the #2 class in the nation, just a couple of points behind FSU according to the 24/7Sports rankings.

He is prospect #139 overall in the nation and the #24 WR.

His high school is right down the street from me which is pretty cool. I plan on going to a couple games. They're also #6 in the country

Cool.  STA is always one of the top teams in the country.  Lots of former players sons.  :lol:

6 Buckeyes named to the SportingNews Preseason All America Team

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Six Buckeyes picked up preseason All-America honors by The Sporting News. Ohio State led all schools with four first-team selections and with the six total selections on the publication’s two preseason teams.

Returning consensus All-American defensive end Joey Bosa and junior running back Ezekiel Elliott were each were named to their second preseason All-America first team (Phil Steele was first) and they were joined on The Sporting News’ first team by senior left tackle Taylor Decker and sophomore linebacker Darron Lee. Decker and Lee were second- and third-team preseason All-Americans by Phil Steele, previously.

Senior defensive tackle Adolphus Washington and junior quarterback Cardale Jones were named to The Sporting News’ second preseason All-America team.

Most exciting player: Ohio State Buckeyes - Jalin Marshall

The season creeps ever so slowly toward us. To escape the summer doldrums, we thought we'd add a burst of excitement from the Big Ten football front.

We're taking a look at the most exciting player on each of the league's teams, a guy who is either so talented or productive (or both) that it's hard to take your eyes off of him during a game.

The reigning national champs are on deck with a closer look at the Ohio State Buckeyes.

The Buckeyes can generate electricity at seemingly every position on the field, particularly on an offense that is stocked with an embarrassment of riches at both the skill positions and at quarterback.

But even on a team that could start any one of three options under center and not miss a beat and has a running back who is the popular preseason favorite to win the Heisman Trophy, the versatility and variety Marshall provides to the attack gives him a slight edge in this category for Ohio State.

His ability to change a game and provide a jolt of energy in the blink of an eye was summed up perfectly with his four-touchdown explosion in the second half last fall against Indiana, bringing a listless performance by the Buckeyes to life with a dazzling 54-yard punt return for a score and then building on that with three touchdown grabs to turn a close matchup into a rout.

Marshall is dangerous as a receiver in the slot thanks to his speed, and by the end of his redshirt freshman season, he had developed into one of Ohio State’s most productive threats with 38 receptions for 499 yards and six touchdowns. The Buckeyes also aren’t afraid to shift him around the formation and use him as a rusher as well, and he added 154 more yards and a score on the ground. And in addition to putting his skills to good use on special teams, if for some reason the Buckeyes again find themselves low on quarterbacks next fall, Marshall was actually next in line behind Cardale Jones if it had come to that during the postseason run to the national title.

Marshall can do just about anything the Buckeyes need, which means it’s never safe to look away when he’s on the field.

Archived