Disgusting... refs HANDED them the game

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1321993880' post='1066331']
That was a big play too, Lew. Who knew? What became of you? Where's my Mountain Dew? Not the many but the few. Rumble is a Jew.

And what on Earth is that infant boy in that picture looking at? Dinner?

:lol:
[/quote]

I bet you didn't know that was on the kids menu there did you?

:1062:

It would have to taste much better than stew. Especially after an ice cold brew.

I did not read the whole thread so maybe this is covered.

1) bad rule more so than bad call so son't blame the refs.
2) Gresham needs to learn some fundamentals as does Simpson and Caldwell.
2A -- don't bobble the ball.
2B -- tuck the ball away once making the catch instead of trying to use your hand with ball to brace your fall.
2C -- last 4 interceptions were in Caldwell's direction, can you say bad routes?
2D -- great catch by Simpson, not really. Catch the ball the first time and have a chance to take it the distance.
2E -- will Simpson ever tuck a ball away?
2F -- tough catch for Caldwell to make as he was fully extended. that said, both hands were on the ball and this is the NFL.

[quote name='Mystery Cat' timestamp='1321925276' post='1066129']

He wasn't a BALL CARRIER, he was a RECEIVER. They are different in terms of this discussion. And if you guys think that was a catch was Simpsons catch/fumble that was ruled an incomplete pass and not challenged by the ratbirds a catch too? It was basically the same thing. We got lucky they didn't challenge that play that would have been yet another turnover. Blaming the refs is a loser mentality, I already pointed out how it helped us beat them once before I didn't hear any bitching then.
[/quote]

no, that's an incorrect analysis on your part. since the catch is actually made within the field of play, since two feet were down after controlling the ball which establishes that it happens in the field of play (not the end zone), when he breaks the plane of the goal line thereafter those events, he is no different than a ball carrier...he is no different than a running back reaching the ball over the plane of the goal line.

you are applying a different situation, and a different rule interpretation, to a play that doesn't fit under those guidelines...much as the replay crew ended up doing. that's why pinerra disagrees with your POV.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1322010525' post='1066390']

no, that's an incorrect analysis on your part. since the catch is actually made within the field of play, since two feet were down after controlling the ball which establishes that it happens in the field of play (not the end zone), when he breaks the plane of the goal line thereafter those events, he is no different than a ball carrier...he is no different than a running back reaching the ball over the plane of the goal line.

you are applying a different situation, and a different rule interpretation, to a play that doesn't fit under those guidelines...much as the replay crew ended up doing. that's why pinerra disagrees with your POV.
[/quote]

That's the million dollar question though - did he have complete control? It was iffy. The officiating crew thought he didn't. Most of us thought he did. That's where the debate comes in and to a certain extent that's my point. It could have gone either way, but unfortunately didn't go our way. Sometimes we get calls, sometimes we don't. Focusing on things you can control is what winning franchises do.

[quote name='Mystery Cat' timestamp='1322064042' post='1066524']

That's the million dollar question though - did he have complete control? It was iffy. [b]The officiating crew thought he didn't. [/b] Most of us thought he did. That's where the debate comes in and to a certain extent that's my point. It could have gone either way, but unfortunately didn't go our way. Sometimes we get calls, sometimes we don't. Focusing on things you can control is what winning franchises do.
[/quote]

The officiating crew called it a TD. The video review ref said there was indisputable
evidence to over turn the call on the field. I say bullshit.

[quote name='dabengals12' timestamp='1321826684' post='1065628']
I was under the impression that the Calvin Johnson rule was meant for passes into the endzone? But Gresham caught the ball, THEN crossed the goal line. But when a RB leaps, breaks plane, and ball comes out, its. TD?
[/quote]

Agreed

[quote name='Mystery Cat' timestamp='1322064042' post='1066524']

That's the million dollar question though - did he have complete control? It was iffy. The officiating crew thought he didn't. Most of us thought he did. That's where the debate comes in and to a certain extent that's my point. It could have gone either way, but unfortunately didn't go our way. Sometimes we get calls, sometimes we don't. [b]Focusing on things you can control is what winning franchises do[/b].
[/quote]
I would agree with the bolded part if I [u]played[/u] for the Bengals or was a coach of the Bengals. I am a fan and what I focus on has no bearing on the team's prep for next week. So..... it was a touchdown, the refs screwed us, and anyone that insists that this is a "loser mentality" must think my state of mind somehow affects those who play the game. To that I would say shhhhhhhhhh.

[quote name='cwing' timestamp='1322008901' post='1066381']
I did not read the whole thread so maybe this is covered.

1) bad rule more so than bad call so son't blame the refs.
2) Gresham needs to learn some fundimentals as does Simpson and Caldwell.
2A -- don't bobble the ball.
2B -- tuck the ball away once making the catch instead of trying to use your hand with ball to brace your fall.
2C -- last 4 interceptions were in Caldwell's direction, can you say bad routes?
2D -- great catch by Simpson, not really. Catch the ball the first time and have a chance to take it the distance.
2E -- will Simpson ever tuck a ball away?
2F -- tough catch for Caldwell to make as he was fully extended. that said, both hands were on the ball and this is the NFL.
[/quote]
[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1322064326' post='1066527']

You spelled "fundamentals" wrong. The rest of your post doesn't matter.

The officiating crew called it a TD. The video review ref said there was indisputable
evidence to over turn the call on the field. I say bullshit.
[/quote]
I say double bullshit. That was a crucial call and the refs just plain fucked it up. I detest using the instant replay to make the wrong call.

[quote name='F.Cleveland' timestamp='1322066373' post='1066552']
I would agree with the bolded part if I [u]played[/u] for the Bengals or was a coach of the Bengals. I am a fan and what I focus on has no bearing on the team's prep for next week. So..... it was a touchdown, the refs screwed us, and anyone that insists that this is a "loser mentality" must think my state of mind somehow affects those who play the game. To that I would say shhhhhhhhhh.
[/quote]

I figured it was obvious I was referring to the team when I said that line. Of course we as fans have nothing to do with the outcome of the game. But I cringe when I read things from players and coaches implying the Bengals are the better team and the officiating is the only reason why we lost. Reminds me of the Housh/Chad days and you saw how far they got us.

[quote name='Mystery Cat' timestamp='1322078728' post='1066634']

I figured it was obvious I was referring to the team when I said that line. Of course we as fans have nothing to do with the outcome of the game. But I cringe when I read things from players and coaches implying the Bengals are the better team and the officiating is the only reason why we lost. Reminds me of the Housh/Chad days and you saw how far they got us.
[/quote]
I'd rather have them angry than deflated. Confidence in the face of adversity is the mark of a good team. It shows me they really cared about that game and they feel like they can win it the next time. Now, if they are still talking about it on Friday or Saturday then you have a point.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1322010814' post='1066392']

Are you ewwing the combination of the two for a meal? or the combination it will make about an hour AFTER the meal?
[/quote]
I just couldn't come up with any more words to rhyme with Lew...

:lol:

[quote name='dabengals12' timestamp='1322079243' post='1066637']
To the people who are saying they need better fundamentals, Why don't you volunteer to show them how it should be done. Obviously you are world class athletes.... Idiots.
[/quote]

The only idiot is the one that believes a only a world class athlete would know about fundamentals. Do the coaches know them -------- go through the staff and count all the former world class athletes.

Pretty easy, Catch the ball at the highest point possible and TUCK the ball away.

Cwing: The only idiot is the one that believes a only a world class athlete would know about fundamentals. Do the coaches know them -------- go through the staff and count all the former world class athletes.

Pretty easy, Catch the ball at the highest point possible and TUCK the ball away.

So...? Knowing the fundamental are one thing, being able to perform them under duress during game situations does require world class athletes. So put away your middle school football pads and STFU.

[quote name='Natifan' timestamp='1322102350' post='1066737']
And this is called a TD........LOL

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEBGMjo0q0E&feature=channel_video_title[/media]
[/quote]

I hate the rule, but there's a fundamental difference between this and the gresham play. Gresham got one foot down before the ball crossed the plane. Williams got 3, if not 4. If Gresham gets his second foot down before the ball crosses the goalline, its a TD whether he drops the ball or not.

The rule sucks, but that's why it got overturned and Williams' didn't.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' timestamp='1321828822' post='1065667']
Interestingly the bodog spread on this game was 7.

If the Bengals are awarded that TD it's a 3 point game and probably millions of dollars are won by bettors around the world.

Really makes you wonder with how some of these games are officiated.
[/quote]

When you think about us starting at some where around a 7 1/2 over/under for wins, and then fell to around 4 1/2 to five, and now we will most probably win 8, kind of puts things in perspecdtive huh? Not saying we are bad or anything else, but what I am saying, gambling interests tend to have a bigger effect then most people imagine. I still find it entertaining, but I'll never believe these games aren't influenced by where the action is, and who is laying the action on what side.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1321829935' post='1065682']

1st one wasn't on Caldwell, he just didn't do anything to stop it. AJ would have had a TD.
2nd was all Caldwell
3rd was probably Dalton. Caldwell looked flat footed but the pass was wide. Also a great play by the CB.

Overall though, Caldwell does more harm than good in my opinion.
[/quote]

1st one was irrelevant. It was 3rd and long...End of the half. Catch great...INT...They down it.....Incomplete we punt and same result. might as well have been a hail mary. And Green had a much better chance of catching if he was playing. #2 I put on Caldwell. If this was last season, everyone would say Ocho ran the bad route, so I'll take the arguement. But even if the route was right, the guy had no desire to comeback and fight for that ball. Just a lazy play. 3rd one is all dalton, but a great play by Webb.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1321881175' post='1065931']
On the Gresham TD, it was called a TD so they would need indisputable evidence. Why would it take them 10 minutes to find something indisputable? And that call when somebody on the Ravens' D ran into the Bengals' backfield, started pointing at the Bengals line, then about 10 seconds later, they throw a flag. Why didn't he throw it when the Bengal jumped? It just looks bad when a player makes a call and the ref follows his lead. Like that Huber shanked punt. The referee marked it and a Raven on the sideline started pointing upfield and the ref moved upfield. It may be coincidence, but looks bad. I remember a few instances in stealers games where the stealers players argued calls and they got reversed.
[/quote]

My thoughts as well. If it was indisputable, it should have never taken so long.

[quote name='membengal' timestamp='1321881687' post='1065934']

I've had him on "ignore" for awhile. I wish people would stop responding to and quoting his obvious trolling.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm with you.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1321923198' post='1066116']
sillyness. They just said on ESPN (per the league) that had he gotten both feet down before crossing the goal line he would have had a TD regardless of whether he drops it. That's just a stupid set up to the rule. Two feet down is two feet down.

Further, had it been a sideline catch, they would have called it incomplete even if he got both feet down.

There's absolutely no consistency to the rule.
[/quote]

This is one of the worst rules in sports (the tuck rule is up there too). I would also argue that he made a football move for sure. He moved it to his right hand, to ensure it crossed the goal line inside the pillon. Clearly was a TD, and clearly a penalty on Suggs as well.

[quote name='ccartman2' timestamp='1322111652' post='1066771']

1st one was irrelevant. It was 3rd and long...End of the half. Catch great...INT...They down it.....Incomplete we punt and same result. might as well have been a hail mary. And Green had a much better chance of catching if he was playing. #2 I put on Caldwell. If this was last season, everyone would say Ocho ran the bad route, so I'll take the arguement. But even if the route was right, the guy had no desire to comeback and fight for that ball. Just a lazy play. 3rd one is all dalton, but a great play by Webb.

[/quote]

my problem with the first one was that it was 3rd and 8. Get the first down before you take a shot like that. They needed probably 5 yards to get into makeable FG range for Nugent and he had the dumpoff open.

[quote name='dabengals12' timestamp='1322104829' post='1066744']
So...? Knowing the fundamental are one thing, being able to perform them under duress during game situations does require world class athletes. So put away your middle school football pads and STFU.
[/quote]

Yep, and it's why he makes millions a year to play football, and I work with computers. If he didn't have the ability to do shit physically that I can't even dream of doing he wouldn't be playing in the NFL either.. Not sure what your point is.

Surely it isn't that using the ball to break your fall after a catch is how you are supposed to do it, because that would be silly.

[quote name='dabengals12' timestamp='1322105212' post='1066747']
Oh, I moved on Sunday night. But it kills me when 45 yr old guy thinks that it is soo easy to catch a somewhat off target pass, while trying to cross the goal line and stay in bounds.
[/quote]
I'm only 42, I played Pop Warner ball so I know what the fuck I am talking about, and....wait, you weren't talking to me? Ooh, how embarrassing....

:blush:

Archived