Luke Fickell Landing spots

MichaelWeston

I know he has been offered a position, but we had a conversation in the other thread about whether or not it would be a good idea or an upgrade to go to another team as a head coach or if it is wise to stay on as AHC or DC. There are plenty of jobs open, Ignoring what is "wise" and going for what would simply be a good fit or a good head coaching job. Which of these places do you think fits Fickel best?

[xml]Akron Rob Ianello
FAU Howard Schnellenberger
Illinois Ron Zook
Kansas Turner Gill
Memphis Larry Porter
Mississippi Houston Nutt
North Carolina Butch Davis
Penn State Joe Paterno
Tulane Bob Toledo
UAB Neil Callaway
UCLA Rick Neuheisal
[/xml]

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1322509578' post='1068841']
I know he has been offered a position, but we had a conversation in the other thread about whether or not it would be a good idea or an upgrade to go to another team as a head coach or if it is wise to stay on as AHC or DC. There are plenty of jobs open, Ignoring what is "wise" and going for what would simply be a good fit or a good head coaching job. Which of these places do you think fits Fickel best?

[xml]Akron Rob Ianello
FAU Howard Schnellenberger
Illinois Ron Zook
Kansas Turner Gill
Memphis Larry Porter
Mississippi Houston Nutt
North Carolina Butch Davis
Penn State Joe Paterno
Tulane Bob Toledo
UAB Neil Callaway
UCLA Rick Neuheisal
[/xml]
[/quote]

I would x out Akron, FAU, Tulane and UAB as I don't think those moves make much sense. Although he did coach at Akron. Penn State is out just because of the situation there.

That leaves Illinois, Kansas, Memphis, Ole Miss, NC and UCLA. 5 of which are basically basketball schools. But does a hire like Fickell help change that?

From least fit to best. Completely in my opinion with 0 research, so i hop you guys have input

5/6. Ole Miss and Kansas to me they both have the same problem, not enough commitment to football. Both are in BCS conferences but neither has much of a chance to compete.

4. Memphis is far enough away to be out of the Urban shadow but close enough to maintain recruiting ties. He is also still in the midwest, close enough anyway. It would be an interesting job to consider but I think the non BCS makes him not consider.

3.UCLA is too far away and they don't invest much in football. Fickell might help to change that but I bet they want a bigger name if they go that direction.

2. Illinois. Midwest, Basketball over football again but they have had recent success in Football. Maybe Fickell does for them what Matta did here. However, he would face his school often.

1. NC. Beautiful area, in a bad BCS conference, where he could take a team to the top pretty quickly. Only Va Tech is consistently good.

If I were him I would probably consider the Illinois and NC jobs but really only throw my hat in for NC.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1322510434' post='1068844']
Akron, FAU, Tulane, and UAB are the only ones who I think would consider him. Maybe Memphis too. IMO the others will want a more experienced coach.
[/quote]

I think he was too experienced for those positions before his 1 entire year running OSUs program.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1322510916' post='1068850']

and I think in that one year he proved he wasn't quite ready to take over a BCS program.
[/quote]

Really? He took a BCS program riddled with abuses coming off the biggest scandal in the programs history to a .500 record with 8 total returning starters including a Freshman QB. I think he did an excellent job and if OSU did not have the best possible candidate waiting in the wings he would have eventually righted the ship. This was his learning year. I bet he doesn't make the same mistakes twice.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1322511648' post='1068857']

Really? He took a BCS program riddled with abuses coming off the biggest scandal in the programs history to a .500 record with 8 total returning starters including a Freshman QB. I think he did an excellent job and if OSU did not have the best possible candidate waiting in the wings he would have eventually righted the ship. This was his learning year. I bet he doesn't make the same mistakes twice.
[/quote]

He took a talented team and went 6-6 with them. You can argue that at minimum 3 games were lost due to coaching mistakes.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1322511951' post='1068860']

He took a talented team and went 6-6 with them. You can argue that at minimum 3 games were lost due to coaching mistakes.
[/quote]
I don't know much about college football, but from what I saw "talented team" didn't translate to the QB position for OSU this season. I thought he was absolutely horrible.

Archived