*** FINISHED BASEMENT - its over... ***

GoBengals

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1324132752' post='1075690']

I should have said I have 9ft ceilings. I used stretch board, it's 54", so I wouldn't have to put band boards around the top. Also, if you buy drywall, it's nice to buy it from a supply place that will pack it for you, most the time it's included in the price. I had [u][b]135 sheets of 4.5' x 12' drywall[/b][/u] that they unloaded for me. It took them 2.5 hours with 3 guys. Carrying drywall sucks, so try to avoid it if possible.
[/quote]
ah, understood, makes good sense....all except for the [u][b]135 sheets[/b][/u] part!!!!....holy shit dude, how big an area are you doing????....I only needed like 20 sheets (4' x 8') for my basement project, although I had some interior and adjoining walls already done from putting in a bathroom and an office a few years back. At 2 sheets per 12' of wall, that's over 800' of wall?!?!?!

2200 sf finished. I also finished the ceiling with double sheets and green glue in between sheets for sound barrier and doubled up the walls of the theater room. I still had about 10 sheets left over. I put them on craigslist for free, with the stipulation that whoever came and got them had to clean out my basement of all of the scrap.

• 3 weeks later...
after the holiday two weeks break, we spent about 4.5 hours on it this afternoon. we got two walls up. i think there are 15 total walls. we should get 3-4 up each day so the end of january I would be done with the framing. then probably two days for wiring. so by mid next month I should be ready for drywall. If I can afford to have someone do it thatly be another 2-3 days, if i do it itll be 2-3 weeks (since i get a day a week basically)

Pics from todays work:

[attachment=939:IMG-20120105-00005.jpg]

[attachment=940:IMG-20120105-00006.jpg]

[attachment=941:IMG-20120105-00007.jpg]

[attachment=942:IMG-20120105-00008.jpg]

[attachment=943:IMG-20120105-00009.jpg]

[attachment=944:IMG-20120105-00010.jpg]

[attachment=945:IMG-20120105-00011.jpg]

[attachment=946:IMG-20120105-00012.jpg]

[attachment=947:IMG-20120105-00013.jpg]

[attachment=948:IMG-20120105-00014.jpg]

a few more coming in the next post...

we actually screwed up on this wall, we built it in two parts, and put studs 2' on center apart in each section, but we started from the solid end each time. so they are 24" apart starting at each end, but in the middle they are off, which isnt a HUGE deal, as the drywall pieces will be cut anyway.. the drywaller will just need to screw from the outer edge each piece instead of continuing from left to right...

pics:

[attachment=949:IMG-20120105-00015.jpg]

[attachment=950:IMG-20120105-00016.jpg]

and this is just a fun pic of the suckers across the street, i have mentioned a buncha times the south facing house/weather here.. but its still funny to me.. im sitting on my front stoop, and you can see my yard and driveway is perfectly dry... and im wearing shorts and a t shirt, and the people across the street have 2+ feet of snow still along the driveway and all in the yard... the sun hits their front yard for about 2-3 hours a day.. and hits my front allll day long.. my back yard looks like their front yard though...wore shorts all day today, it was amazing out...

[attachment=951:IMG-20120105-00017.jpg]

Looks real good. It's a good feeling seeing it come along isn't it?

A lot of people forget to put in kickers on the corners to screw your drywall to, looks like you guys have it covered. I have never seen anybody do their bottom plate like that before, what is the purpose of this with the bolts and 3 inch gap?

You aren't getting it inspected are you? If Denver is anything like KY, OH, and IN you will not pass due to fireblocking. It's a pain in the ass and 95% of the people don't do it, but inspectors are cracking down on that.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' timestamp='1325857843' post='1084913']
Looks real good. It's a good feeling seeing it come along isn't it?

A lot of people forget to put in kickers on the corners to screw your drywall to, looks like you guys have it covered. I have never seen anybody do their bottom plate like that before, what is the purpose of this with the bolts and 3 inch gap?

You aren't getting it inspected are you? If Denver is anything like KY, OH, and IN you will not pass due to fireblocking. It's a pain in the ass and 95% of the people don't do it, but inspectors are cracking down on that.
[/quote]

the bottom is due to floating walls being required. Denver has extremely expansive soils, the clay here with soaked expandsquite a bit, and can lift the basment floor by an inch or two. the builders do a good job of clearing most of the clay for man feet below the foundation and putting in good footers, etc, but its not fool proof. so floating walls are required for basements so if the floor rises, it wont lift the above floors and ruin your house.

so the bottom plate is attached to the concrete, the bottom of the standard frame has a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom and that spike fits snug but loose enough in it, so if the bottom moves up, it just slides up and doesnt effect the hanging walls at all.

so when i drywall i stop at the gap and then put a tiny strip on the bottom plate, so there is a gap in the drywall as well, and you have to put 4"+ base boards in and attach them to the bottom plat only, so they too can slide up and down the wall if the floor moves..

it makes everything harder for sure...

and i wont be doing any inspections for sure.

it is nice to finally see some walls going up kind of makes it real vs just a plan.

next thursday we get back at it and get some more done.

• 2 weeks later...
Doesnt feel like we accomplished much, but we got the floor boards in the closet, the back wall in the closet, and added 10 ceiling supports for the walls that will be spanning between floor joists an had nothing to attached to.

probably 40% done with the stud walls, probably 3-4 days left of wall building, which is nearly a month since we only get a day a wek to work on it...

[attachment=957:IMG_0013.JPG]

[attachment=958:IMG_0014.JPG]

[attachment=959:IMG_0017.JPG]

[attachment=960:IMG_0018.JPG]

• 2 months later...
Latest update: All framing is done. I havent worked on it until today, for nearly 6 weeks, vacation work, etc..

this is the view coming off the stair and turning down the hall.

[attachment=984:IMG_0205.JPG]

looking down the hall, on the right id the "Den/Study" with 4' french doors, on the left is the 4th bathroom/storage until i finish the bathroom part(next year) and the hall turns to the left at the end past the bathroom room.

the following pictures are of the "Den?Study" room from the doorway into it.

[attachment=985:IMG_0204.JPG]

[attachment=986:IMG_0203.JPG]

[attachment=987:IMG_0202.JPG]

more pics from today....

This is after you have turned left down teh hall, looking back towards the "Den/Study" there is a double door 2.5' deep storage closet on the left and the entry to the "bathroom" on the right in the 2nd pic...

[attachment=988:IMG_0201.JPG]

[attachment=989:IMG_0200.JPG]

Then backing up into the "theatre room" looking back at that hallway/entry in the next twp pics and then 3 pics of around the room.

[attachment=990:IMG_0199.JPG]

[attachment=991:IMG_0198.JPG]

[attachment=992:IMG_0197.JPG]

[attachment=993:IMG_0196.JPG]

[attachment=994:IMG_0195.JPG]

• 1 month later...
did some wiring today. got all the outlets done and some switches done. still need to do the can lights and run the 3 lines out to the breaker box. then my surround sound speakers and coax jacks for directv add ons... etc..

should be done wiring by tuesday night.. and get drywall guys out here that following weekend...

things should move pretty quickly through painting, etc.. until it comes to a screeching halt at carpet and doors/trim work... UGH..

getting excited about it though..

i will post a walk-through video tonight most likely..

• 2 weeks later...
[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Z-ZmBwaBTZo/T9LI2awAHpI/AAAAAAAAA2s/c1PQifnOnwI/s640/IMG_0257.JPG[/img]

i created a cold air return in the basement, some may remember the builders had an air intake going to the outside for cold air into the furnace(not for the hw heater, straight into the furnace) i cut that off, and have made two cold air returns in the basement this one here, i used sheet meteal to close in between two studs, then i cut a hole in it for 6" pipe, cut tabs, cut a hole into the air return box on the furnace, tabbed it and made the 6" pipe into it, then caulked it to seal it off, and drywall will seal it in the front with caulk as well. then put a 12" x 12" vent on the front... and did the same thing on the other side of that same room, so i eliminated the one dragging cold air right into the furnace and put in two dragging air out of the basement. (yes i still have a cold air intake to the floor near the hot water heater)...

[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gY4vbtVvnA0/T9LI2S4Ky0I/AAAAAAAAA2o/j6xz8I9D2aM/s640/IMG_0259.JPG[/img]

the mess starting to collect near the media box, white wires are surround sound...

then these inserts will go in to make a nice clean finish on the wall:

[img]http://images2.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/69074.jpg[/img]

boxed in the beams so they can be dry walled around easily... and the ceiling to the right will be lower than on the left to close in all that crap..

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BQpt8w_cihU/T9LKcTFjOCI/AAAAAAAAA48/qcPhpXTw6ZY/s640/IMG_0216.JPG[/img]

[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xVkL73IDKZQ/T9LKGXJU5eI/AAAAAAAAA4Q/qqByIv9LUi8/s640/IMG_0201.JPG[/img]

hallway to the left will have two sliding doors... its about 2-2.5 feet deep...

[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-125QltI6WkQ/T9LKPfFWiZI/AAAAAAAAA4g/HvyCxWWb7RQ/s640/IMG_0202.JPG[/img]

this one is standing at the closet in the above facing theoffice/den, which will have 4' french doors...

haha, yea, its been a slow process, its been 6 months in the making and looks like some boards and wires , then one day, 2 dudes will comes put up drywall and it will look like SOOOOO much work has been done.... 6 months of work will be hidden and finished by 5 days of drywall/paint/carpet and ceiling tiles...

cant wait to get to that point... feels like a long time coming...

Just out of curiosity, since you have done so much of this work, is drywalling that difficult that it is worth paying someone to do it for you? Or is it just the time consumption that makes it worth it to pay?

[quote name='big_dish' timestamp='1339370185' post='1134754']
Just out of curiosity, since you have done so much of this work, is drywalling that difficult that it is worth paying someone to do it for you? Or is it just the time consumption that makes it worth it to pay?
[/quote]

It's a pain in the ass. Even if you do it yourself, and put in the huge amount of time it requires, if you suck at it you'll be looking at it for the rest of your life, or you'll end up spending even more time obsessing over it. Plus all of the dust, and the sanding, it's best to just hire a mexican to do it (IMO)

[quote name='big_dish' timestamp='1339370185' post='1134754']
[/quote]

honestly the difficulty is pretty much it, drywall is a heavy pain in the ass, 50lbs per sheet, 45 sheets plus all the cutting, rounding corners, texturing knocking down the texture, etc..

materials cost me about $450-500, labor is going to be $400 since im working out a deal with them doing a small website and some business cards for them(two dudes who have been running their own businesses merged basically) so for $400 and a little easy design work i can avoid probably 6-7 days of "hell" for myself, it makes it worse that i use my days off, manual labor in replacement of resting or fun activity sucks as it is.. drywall is my breaking point i think.... the "pros" cant do in in 3 days half the time and no misery... i did sway back and forth on the decision quite a bit, but in the end it was a no go for me to do it..

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1339385199' post='1134793']
It's a pain in the ass. Even if you do it yourself, and put in the huge amount of time it requires, if you suck at it you'll be looking at it for the rest of your life, or you'll end up spending even more time obsessing over it. Plus all of the dust, and the sanding,[b] it's best to just hire a mexican to do it (IMO)[/b]
[/quote]

ironically they are mexicans... brother of a co worker, who ISNT a mexican...so i have that nice cushion of "i cant fuck this job up cause this dude works with my sister" insurance of quality work..

• 2 weeks later...
drywall was delivered from lowes on Friday. awaiting a call from a friend of a friend on when they will get started on the drywall work.. i am supplying the materials, drywall, tape, mud, corner bead, etc, and building him 2 small websites, in return for drywalling my entire basemend, and texturing for $250

Archived