Marvin's status?

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1323882885' post='1074994']
IMO, Marvin is here as long as he wants to be here.... unless he has multiple sub 5-win seasons in a row.
[/quote]

I disagree. IMO if Marvin doesn't make the playoffs this yr or next he will be gone. Especially with the attendance we've been having. Mike is going to get a new coach and make the fans excited again.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1323883686' post='1074998']

I disagree. IMO if Marvin doesn't make the playoffs this yr or next he will be gone. Especially with the attendance we've been having. Mike is going to get a new coach and make the fans excited again.
[/quote]
I agree. All of the parts have changed but him. On the other hand he has had the most success, relatively speaking. Mike might be ok with an occasional playoff showing. But the attendance has to get better and in my opinion that will take long term success at this point. In other words our fan base is jaded and can't really blame them. However, we are not three smartest fan base either.I have never heard the stadium get as loud as when we go for it on fourth down.....I dont get it?

[quote name='The_Joker' timestamp='1323886333' post='1075006']
...we are not th[s]re[/s]e smartest fan base either.I have never heard the stadium get as loud as when we go for it on fourth down.....I dont get it?
[/quote]

...yep. They just don't get it. At the Colts game in '05, I yelled "Shut up!" as everyone yelled and cheered while [b]we [/b]were getting ready to snap the ball on a big 3rd down play...I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Of course my yelling resulted in me getting a lot of looks of "what the heck is your problem, buddy?"

Idiots.

[quote name='Cricket' timestamp='1323886896' post='1075011']

...yep. They just don't get it. At the Colts game in '05, I yelled "Shut up!" as everyone yelled and cheered while [b]we [/b]were getting ready to snap the ball on a big 3rd down play...I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Of course my yelling resulted in me getting a lot of looks of "what the heck is your problem, buddy?"

Idiots.
[/quote]
Ha...now I are dumb :35:
Damn phone auto correct...that gets me in more trouble.... :1018:

Here is what I find most odd. In seasons where the Bengals have a bad record going into the last part of the season, they come out looking like gang busters and playoff contenders, ultimately doing nothing more than ruining their draft position. Now this year, where they come out of the gate with a pretty good record at 6-2, they screw the pooch and probably won't make the playoffs. What gives? Is it the fact that Marvin can't keep his team loose and able to play in big games? Maybe it's Marvin himself, that can't handle pressure and his players feed off that anxiety. For all those that will quickly point to Marvin's time in Baltimore where the team had success, that team also had Ray Lewis as a leader on defense that could keep the players focused. So that's a moot point.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1323888996' post='1075028']
Here is what I find most odd. In seasons where the Bengals have a bad record going into the last part of the season, they come out looking like gang busters and playoff contenders, ultimately doing nothing more than ruining their draft position. Now this year, where they come out of the gate with a pretty good record at 6-2, they screw the pooch and probably won't make the playoffs. What gives? Is it the fact that Marvin can't keep his team loose and able to play in big games? Maybe it's Marvin himself, that can't handle pressure and his players feed off that anxiety. For all those that will quickly point to Marvin's time in Baltimore where the team had success, that team also had Ray Lewis as a leader on defense that could keep the players focused. So that's a moot point.
[/quote]

Our decline this year is directly related to the loss of Dunlap and Hall.

Good coaches and good teams are able to have players step in and help their team continue to win. That's part of the talent evaluation process and the position coaching responsibility. There is no reason the Bengals should go out and lay such an absolute egg like they did against the Steelers.

No secret that wouldn't mind seeing a coaching change.

That said, If Marvin is the guy for next season. Imo, they must at least extend him a year beyond.

You can't have a lame duck coach senario.

At somepoint the organization needs to put big boy pants on and solidify the coaching long term and be willing to eat years if the somehow made a mistake.

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1323892240' post='1075043']

[/quote]

Yep it has nothing to do with the quality of the opponent cuz the Bengals are the only team with injuries in the NFL.

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1323892240' post='1075043']

[/quote]
[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1323898949' post='1075072']

There you go trying to talk sense again.
[/quote]

Good organizations find a way and win despite of, bad organizations lose because of.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1323893769' post='1075048']Good coaches and good teams are able to have players step in and help their team continue to win. That's part of the talent evaluation process and the position coaching responsibility. There is no reason the Bengals should go out and lay such an absolute egg like they did against the Steelers.[/quote]

1. Good coaches with good teams lay eggs from time to time.
2. Bad coaches don't win with rookies, in new systems, coming out of lockouts.

For the record, I think Marvin is a solid, but not great head coach, who has been coaching for many years under silly circumstances. I am more pleased than disappointed in him this year, and want to see how he finishes this year and coaches next year.

I am also one who believes Marvin spent most of his time here with almost no control in the front office, and that he's gotten some of that power now. I think this team is heading in a good direction, and will look at Marvin's role with the team should the next 19 games show a plateau or drop off.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1323910312' post='1075137']
1. Good coaches with good teams lay eggs from time to time.
2. Bad coaches don't win with rookies, in new systems, coming out of lockouts.

For the record, I think Marvin is a solid, but not great head coach, who has been coaching for many years under silly circumstances. I am more pleased than disappointed in him this year, and want to see how he finishes this year and coaches next year.

I am also one who believes Marvin spent most of his time here with almost no control in the front office, and that he's gotten some of that power now. I think this team is heading in a good direction, and will look at Marvin's role with the team should the next 19 games show a plateau or drop off.
[/quote]

spot on.

Archived