NCAA to Announce Ruling on OSU Today at 3pm

Jason

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1324497690' post='1077731']

The players recieved FREE TATTOOS. This shit of you calling them cheaters
and talking about ethics is asinine.

All of the "culprits" are gone. Why punish everyone else for such a minor "crime"?
Tressel will probably never coach again. I think everyone has been more than
punished for their "crimes".
[/quote]

Sadly, it is the nature of the beast that the NCAA can generally only punish kids who had nothing to do with it. Until the NCAA has the ability to punish rogue boosters there isn't much else they can do. They have to punish the institutions somehow to keep things from getting out of control.

If JT had handled TatGate when it happened the scandal would have been over a long time ago and OSU would have had a chance to play for a championship this season. He didn't.

The "crime" isn't the tattoos, it's the cover up.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1324493095' post='1077711']

[color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]3-8 bowl record and 2–10–1 vs Michigan. He never should have let Cooper stay as long as he did.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]That and the folks at Brown think he's a dipshit as well... [/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Your basing your opinion of the the President of the largest University in the country on the football team?

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1324502957' post='1077755']

Sadly, it is the nature of the beast that the NCAA can generally only punish kids who had nothing to do with it. Until the NCAA has the ability to punish rogue boosters there isn't much else they can do. They have to punish the institutions somehow to keep things from getting out of control.

If JT had handled TatGate when it happened the scandal would have been over a long time ago and OSU would have had a chance to play for a championship this season. He didn't.

[/quote]

Oh I know what the crime was. And the guy at the head of it all was basically
given the Death Sentence as far as the NCAA goes.

Just think it's BS.

And sick of hearing shit like Cheaters and Ethics and shit.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1324497690' post='1077731']

The players recieved FREE TATTOOS. This shit of you calling them cheaters
and talking about ethics is asinine.

All of the "culprits" are gone. Why punish everyone else for such a minor "crime"?
Tressel will probably never coach again. I think everyone has been more than
punished for their "crimes".
[/quote]

You are way too into this. Ethics deal with the profession or organization disciplining you for rules solely within that profession or organization. Laws go beyond that. I was just stating that its the case here. You have been flying off the handle on people a little much lately, not your style normally.

My take on it is that it was not a big deal but it was pervasive for a long time. To say that the coaches did not know about it seems pretty naive when everyone else knew about it. For that reason OSU definitely deserved to get hammered. They certainly made an example out of Tressell though, that was a bit much.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1324502957' post='1077755']

[/quote]

And all of the problems that happned after they got caught. Players still taking paychecks and going to partys that they were not allowed to go to after they were being investigated....thats why they got and deserved to get nailed.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1324503992' post='1077758']

Your basing your opinion of the the President of the largest University in the country on the football team?
[/quote]

When it's your biggest revenue generator and the benchmark for success is beating Michigan and winning bowl games in that order, then yes.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1324505011' post='1077768']

When it's your biggest revenue generator and the benchmark for success is beating Michigan and winning bowl games in that order, then yes.
[/quote]

Is football really the biggest revenue generator? They have 60000 students, something like 5 satelite campuses and 2 hospitals and are building another one.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1324504484' post='1077764']

You are way too into this. Ethics deal with the profession or organization disciplining you for rules solely within that profession or organization. Laws go beyond that. I was just stating that its the case here. You have been flying off the handle on people a little much lately, not your style normally.

My take on it is that it was not a big deal but it was pervasive for a long time. To say that the coaches did not know about it seems pretty naive when everyone else knew about it. For that reason OSU definitely deserved to get hammered. They certainly made an example out of Tressell though, that was a bit much.
[/quote]

I'd say covering up for a Child Molester for decades is ethics too. But hey.

Look, at the end of the day no recruiting violations were commited, it was
basically Failure to maintain control. And all of that was laid at the feet
of Tressel, who paid dearly. So drop the "cheaters" bullshit, OK?

The only reason you post in Ohio State threads is because of your disdain for them
and their fans. You're not dealing with those types of fans here, so drop the bullshit.

Also, I saw Sports By Brooks posted all kinds of pictures of Trent Richardson driving
all kinds of different, expensive, brand new cars. Cam Newton was shopped around
by his Father. All that is getting them is National Championships.

The Buckeyes got hammered for something stupid. The main "crime" was the HC
lying to the NCAA about those "crimes". There was no "cheating". And it wasn't deserved.

As far as me flying off the handle, how so?

Players were allowed to play when they knowingly would have been ineligible. How much more cheating is there then that?

Also if you think that tats for memorabilia and hundred dollar hand shakes dont help with recruiting then I can't help you.

As far as Trent Richardson and Cam Newton go I think it happens everywhere. The problem is buckeyes fans said they did not not due it and beat the character horse for years. Its like the evangelist who says being gay is a sin and then is hooking up with dudes in back alleys.

Child Molestation has nothing to do with ethics.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1324508234' post='1077788']
Players were allowed to play when they knowingly would have been ineligible. How much more cheating is there then that?

Also if you think that tats for memorabilia and hundred dollar hand shakes dont help with recruiting then I can't help you.

As far as Trent Richardson and Cam Newton go I think it happens everywhere. The problem is buckeyes fans said they did not not due it and beat the character horse for years. Its like the evangelist who says being gay is a sin and then is hooking up with dudes in back alleys.

Child Molestation has nothing to do with ethics.
[/quote]

And they forfeited that win, gave all the money back ect.
Plus the NCAA had a hand in that too. But whatever.

Well, I guess you can't help me. Because they wern't promised Tattoos
by anyone recruiting them.

I think your stance is stupid. And I take every word you type in the tone
of a admitted hater.

And you might want to learn the definition of ethics. I'll give you a hint,
it has to do with morals and values. The basic definition is A set of principles of right conduct.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1324508848' post='1077791']

And they forfeited that win, gave all the money back ect.
Plus the NCAA had a hand in that too. But whatever.

Well, I guess you can't help me. Because they wern't promised Tattoos
by anyone recruiting them.

I think your stance is stupid. And I take every word you type in the tone
of a admitted hater.

And you might want to learn the definition of ethics. I'll give you a hint,
it has to do with morals and values. The basic definition is A set of principles of right conduct.
[/quote]

Just because they forfeited it doesn't mean they didn't cheat. Just because they gave the money back doesn't mean they didn't take it. Players who know they can get more then just the schollie at a school are more likely to go there. Word is they would have gotten hammered even worse but one booster who had been heavily connected to tons more impermissible benefits refused to cooperate with the NCAA for fear of repercussions from OSU fans. Certainly a rumor....

Look by definition the NCAA takes any object, money or otherwise as a benefit. So when the players used their profile as a college athlete to sign autographs and sign memorabilia for trade of getting tattoos, that was a violation of NCAA rules. What made it even worse is that OSU knew of these violations months and months before the NCAA caught wind of it through a yahoo investigation. Finally the last big problem was that Tressel and others in the Athletic department at OSU lied to NCAA investigators. There was even players that got paid for summer jobs they didn't work. With all this going on, the NCAA knew that OSU was not properly monitoring it's players or just flat ignoring what they were doing. OSU had to be sanctioned.

As far as Penn State, what went on had nothing to do with the athletic program and it's players. All the key players in the scandal, Sandusky and Peterno, are now gone.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1324521470' post='1077855']
Look by definition the NCAA takes any object, money or otherwise as a benefit. So when the players used their profile as a college athlete to sign autographs and sign memorabilia for trade of getting tattoos, that was a violation of NCAA rules. What made it even worse is that OSU knew of these violations months and months before the NCAA caught wind of it through a yahoo investigation. Finally the last big problem was that Tressel and others in the Athletic department at OSU lied to NCAA investigators. There was even players that got paid for summer jobs they didn't work. With all this going on, the NCAA knew that OSU was not properly monitoring it's players or just flat ignoring what they were doing. OSU had to be sanctioned.

[b]As far as Penn State, what went on had nothing to do with the athletic program and it's players. [/b] All the key players in the scandal, Sandusky and Peterno, are now gone.
[/quote]

certainly the AD and possibly some others in the department played a part in it.

Archived