Questions the Reds still need to answer

Jason

On espn.com Buster Olney said he believes the Reds were the biggest losers in the Fielder signing.

He seems confident Votto will command a $250M+ contract. Specifically mentioned the Dodgers and Mets.

I have to say that if Votto is going to get that much, you absolutely have to trade him before the trade deadline in 2013.

Keep him this year and go all out for the World Series, then you have to trade him. You can not lose a talent like Votto to FA and get nothing in return.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='BengalRep85-9' timestamp='1327545295' post='1092242']
On espn.com Buster Olney said he believes the Reds were the biggest losers in the Fielder signing.

He seems confident Votto will command a $250M+ contract. Specifically mentioned the Dodgers and Mets.

I have to say that if Votto is going to get that much, you absolutely have to trade him before the trade deadline in 2013.

Keep him this year and go all out for the World Series, then you have to trade him. You can not lose a talent like Votto to FA and get nothing in return.
[/quote]

And this is why it gets harder and harder for me to follow baseball... I absolutely love the sport, and there is nothing like an evening spent in a MLB ballpark.. But I am absolutely sick of rooting for a team that has no choice but to auction off/lose their best players over and over again because they can't compete financially with the bigger markets. Even if I do get to see the Reds in another world series, it will likely be a flash in the pan as we lose the core of the team to free agency, and are forced to start all over again.. Likely enduring yet more decades of non competition, and praying for another flash in the pan..

As of last year I have been boycotting the MLB... I listen on radio.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1328278018' post='1093808']

And this is why it gets harder and harder for me to follow baseball... I absolutely love the sport, and there is nothing like an evening spent in a MLB ballpark.. But I am absolutely sick of rooting for a team that has no choice but to auction off/lose their best players over and over again because they can't compete financially with the bigger markets. Even if I do get to see the Reds in another world series, it will likely be a flash in the pan as we lose the core of the team to free agency, and are forced to start all over again.. Likely enduring yet more decades of non competition, and praying for another flash in the pan..

[b]As of last year I have been boycotting the MLB... I listen on radio.[/b]
[/quote]

:24:

And you gave me crap about not paying to go to games or for merch for the bengals but ok with my sunday ticket.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1328292210' post='1093861']

:24:

And you gave me crap about not paying to go to games or for merch for the bengals but ok with my sunday ticket.
[/quote]

What? I never gave you shit for not paying to go to games.. Not one time.. Ever. In fact I said I support people boycotting if that's how they feel. And I have repeatedly pointed out that if you want to "boycott Mike Brown" you shouldn't watch them on tv either... I'm not sure if you realize this, but MLB and it's advertisers have no way of knowing if I am receiving their radio waves or not..

Not sure what you are laughing about..... Your post makes no sense.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1328294922' post='1093876']

What? I never gave you shit for not paying to go to games.. Not one time.. Ever. In fact I said I support people boycotting if that's how they feel. And I have repeatedly pointed out that if you want to "boycott Mike Brown" you shouldn't watch them on tv either... I'm not sure if you realize this, but MLB and it's advertisers have no way of knowing if I am receiving their radio waves or not..

Not sure what you are laughing about..... Your post makes no sense.
[/quote]

uh radio gets ratings just like tv does and thus advertisers based on the same type of rating system

if you want to boycot MLB, dont listen on the radio either. ;)

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1328295717' post='1093884']

uh radio gets ratings just like tv does and thus advertisers based on the same type of rating system

if you want to boycot MLB, dont listen on the radio either. ;)
[/quote]

Would you mind explaining to me how they know I am tuning in? There is a reason they used to use those Nielson boxes (which I do not have). And why they no longer need them for people who have cable/satellite. You do realize the difference between tuning into a frequency on a radio and tuning into a channel on cable/sat TV right?

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1328297039' post='1093888']

Would you mind explaining to me how they know I am tuning in? There is a reason they used to use those Nielson boxes (which I do not have). And why they no longer need them for people who have cable/satellite.
[/quote]

So perhaps you can explain how the radio stations get their ratings.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1328298180' post='1093892']

So perhaps you can explain how the radio stations get their ratings.
[/quote]

They use Nielson "ratings boxes" or through various polling methods.. Are you aware in the ways the FCC regulates radio receivers (and, well, electronic devices in general)? There is absolutely no way for someone to determine who is listening to a radio broadcast unless they report it to you somehow.

• 1 month later...
Just saw Mr. Stubbs draw a walk in his first AB against the Indians. If he can get it together, he answers a HUGE question mark in platooning centerfield.

Stubbs has the tools to be a great player if he can just cut down all of those strike outs. I think he can be a 30-30 guy if he gets better contact.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1330980526' post='1102395']
Just saw Mr. Stubbs draw a walk in his first AB against the Indians. If he can get it together, he answers a HUGE question mark in platooning centerfield.

Stubbs has the tools to be a great player if he can just cut down all of those strike outs. I think he can be a 30-30 guy if he gets better contact.
[/quote]
Trying to be a 30-30 guy is what is causing Stubbs to strikeout so much. He needs to drop the idea of trying to hit HRs. He needs to focus on hitting the ball in the gap and getting the ball on the ground and using his speed. If he can do that, all his stats will go up and the Reds will be a better team.

Anyone else getting a little tired of Dusty answering every question with some random anecdote?

[b]Q: Hey Dusty, why is the CF or SS always hitting leadoff even when they have the lowest OBP on the entire team?[/b]

DB: I once knew a fella that stole 47 bases for the Carolina Mudcats. Made a mean gumbo, too!

[b]Q: So Dusty, is that why you kept Janish hitting 2nd?[/b]

DB: You boys ever been to Rochester? Had the best damned cheese danish of my life in Rochester back in '95. Janish is spelled like danish but it ain't pronounced the same. Goin' with my gut!

[b]Q: Look out Dusty, your hat is on fire![/b]

I ever tell you fellas the story of little Timmy Felchgoat? Timmy was in my 3rd grade class. During assembly one morning he sang the entire national anthem with a live box turtle down his trousers. One of the older boys did it as a prank. Good ol' Timmy, he didn't miss a single note! Why, I once heard a man recite the Gettysburg Address with his legs down a wood-chipper.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1331274240' post='1103766']
Anyone else getting a little tired of Dusty answering every question with some random anecdote?

[b]Q: Hey Dusty, why is the CF or SS always hitting leadoff even when they have the lowest OBP on the entire team?[/b]

DB: I once knew a fella that stole 47 bases for the Carolina Mudcats. Made a mean gumbo, too!

DB: You boys ever been to Rochester? Had the best damned cheese danish of my life in Rochester back in '95. Janish is spelled like danish but it ain't pronounced the same. Goin' with my gut!

I ever tell you fellas the story of little Timmy Felchgoat? Timmy was in my 3rd grade class. During assembly one morning he sang the entire national anthem with a live box turtle down his trousers. One of the older boys did it as a prank. Good ol' Timmy, he didn't miss a single note! Why, I once heard a man recite the Gettysburg Address with his legs down a wood-chipper.
[/quote]

+1. Hilarious. Hey, Dusty, how many times have you swallowed your toothpick? How many times have you come close to having a heat stroke while wearing your jacket in the middle of August?

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1331297609' post='1103785']

+1. Hilarious. Hey, Dusty, how many times have you swallowed your toothpick? How many times have you come close to having a heat stroke while wearing your jacket in the middle of August?
[/quote]

tsk tsk... That is no toothpick you see.. That's a bonafide Australian chewing stick

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41V5KHRMR7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1331297609' post='1103785']
Hey, Dusty, how many times have you swallowed your toothpick?
[/quote]

:lol:

I don't know, but he once hit a ground-rule double off of Bobby "Toothpick" McGoober for the go-ahead run against the Baltimore Terrapins & got to meet Warren G. Harding after the game...

..and that should answer any questions about Corey Patterson.

:thwack1:

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1331274240' post='1103766']

[/quote]
"[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways.[b] One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere[/b]. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for m'shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt. Which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."[/size][/font][/color]

Archived