Marvin and Simpson news!?!

Two relatively big events took place today inside the front office. First..Jerome Simpson's agent was offered a new contract proposal...

3 years - 17.2m (2.1m signing bonus)

Second...Brown has begun the process on extending Marvin Lewis until 2016.

Marvin's extension could be in the neighborhood of 4 yrs - 18m.

Part of the Lewis deal would include absolutely complete control of player personnel.

When the Lewis deal is finished, he will be granted an enormous amount of power in developing the future of this organization.

All this info popped up on my twitter, as a retweet.

Source: [url="http://twitter.com/#!/BengalsFever"]BengalsFever[/url] [color=#999999][size=3]Brian Patteriona[/size][/color]

[quote name='Chad' timestamp='1325127138' post='1080765']
Two relatively big events took place today inside the front office. First..Jerome Simpson's agent was offered a new contract proposal...

3 years - 17.2m (2.1m signing bonus)

Part of the Lewis deal would include absolutely complete control of player personnel.

When the Lewis deal is finished, he will be granted an enormous amount of power in developing the future of this organization.

All this info popped up on my twitter, as a retweet.

Source: [url="http://twitter.com/#!/BengalsFever"]BengalsFever[/url] [color=#999999][size=3]Brian Patteriona[/size][/color]
[/quote]

I actually approve of both unless the are any serious repercussions from 'Rome medical shipment last summer. I'd just as soon have a GM, but I'm down with anything that eases Mikey out of the equation. I've gotten the feeling that ML and Katie hve been taking a larger portion of the personnel decisions over the last couple of seasons anyway - especially the Palmer deal. Signing Simpson frees a pick to use elsewhere. His develoment mmay have taken a while, but if he can become more consistent, no one in the league will have a more dynamic or athletic pair of receivers than Rome & Green.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1325128589' post='1080776']
Is this the same Brian guy who was making that stuff up about brat staying to get hits to his website?

If so can we please stop indulging him with the attention he wants?
[/quote]

Don't know about the Brat info, but he did claim to have other 'inside information'.

I wouldn't put much stock in what he says.

From what I heard awhile ago, the dude totally makes up stories
just to get hits to his site. And that isn't even his real name.

[quote name='The Left Hand of Frerotte' timestamp='1325129279' post='1080781']
I'd prefer they just move Marvin to the GM role and actually hire a good head coach.
[/quote]

:29:

[quote name='mroby85' timestamp='1325130837' post='1080794']
I like Simpson as much as anyone, but I think that deal would be a mistake. He's already proven he's a risk, and I just wouldn't want to make a committment like that to him, even though I find him extremely entertaining and fun to watch.
[/quote]

yea I'm one of simpson's biggest fans, but $5 million a year is a little high for him, and another sign that this rumor is complete BS.

[quote name='mroby85' timestamp='1325130837' post='1080794']
I think that deal would be a mistake. He's already proven he's a risk, and I just wouldn't want to make a committment like that to him, even though I find him extremely entertaining and fun to watch.
[/quote]
I think its too much for Marvin too. He's been so up and down.

As much as I think we could do better than Marvin. I truly truly like and respect the guy. He's not the best but he is very good. And given the choice between giving him ultimate personnel control versus picking up a new coach with less power, I'd pick extending Marv every day of the week. I hope both of these tidbits are true. Jerome is in a similar boat. I think we could do better, but I think simply maintaining our current cards would be our best option. Can't wait to see what the next few years bring!

[quote name='Chad' timestamp='1325127138' post='1080765']

[/quote]

Sounds like Lippencott's old job...
Speculated about this in another thread.
Still speculation but I do not see head coaching mentioned unless
he is going to double as head coach and Lippy.

Conspiracy theory and far most likely wrong but let's see how this shakes down.

[quote name='Nati Ice' timestamp='1325132113' post='1080803']
As much as [b]I think we could do better than Marvin[/b]. I truly truly like and respect the guy. He's not the best but he is very good. And given the choice between giving him ultimate personnel control versus picking up a new coach with less power, I'd pick extending Marv every day of the week. I hope both of these tidbits are true. Jerome is in a similar boat. I think we could do better, but I think simply maintaining our current cards would be our best option. Can't wait to see what the next few years bring!
[/quote]

Really? You think someone better than Marvin would really take a job here, with the reputation this franchise has had under soP?

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1325133013' post='1080811']

Really? You think someone better than Marvin would really take a job here, with the reputation this franchise has had under soP?
[/quote]
I think that as a pure game day coach, Marv is not that hard to top. He does a wondrous job bringing in talent (coaches and players) and running his segment of the organization. But, as for on game day, he has never been that great. He has improved, but he isn't that impressive. I'd still prefer to have him in more of a GM role (not that that would ever happen).

Those numbers for Simpson are strange. He's probably not in the 5 mil per season range based on productivity. Also on a 17 mil deal, a lot more than 2 mil would be paid in bonus. Typically about a third of the total value of the contract is paid as signing bonus. Given his potential legal issues, I'd think he'd be hesitant to take so little up front.

[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' timestamp='1325134009' post='1080816']
It does seem odd to offer both of them so much money. I would like to see Marvin back though. IMO he's a helluva coach.
[/quote]

It was actually 3yrs/12m for Jerome, and 4yrs/15m for Marvin.

Marvin also wanted a pony.

Yes I just made that up.

Just like this "BengalsFever" guy did.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1325136644' post='1080822']
Those numbers for Simpson are strange. He's probably not in the 5 mil per season range based on productivity. Also on a 17 mil deal, a lot more than 2 mil would be paid in bonus. Typically about a third of the total value of the contract is paid as signing bonus. Given his potential legal issues, I'd think he'd be hesitant to take so little up front.
[/quote]

Not that I believe a word of what was posted.

But, the small signing bonus would be the Bengals protection from Simpson going to jail or being banned. Bengals could cut him without having given him a ton of guaranteed money. Might be the only thing Simpson can hope for at this point.

On a extension for Marvin: You have to seperate your like or dislike from it.

The bengals need to put their big boy NFL pants on and get him the extension if they believe he is the guy. There's no way you want him going into 2012 as a lame duck. The flip side is they must be willing to fire him with remaining years if he doesn't get the job done.

Archived