[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1325522494' post='1083179']

Stealers #59 Josh Chapman NT Alabama
Ratbirds #63 Shea McClellin DE/OLB Boise St.
[b]Round 3:[/b]
Browns #68 Ryan Miller G Colorado
[b]Bengals # 88 Danny Trevethan LB Kentucky[/b]
Stealers # 90 Levy Adcock OT Oklahoma State
Ratbirds #94 William Vlatchos C Alabama
[b]Mock Draft Grade:[/b] [b]B-[/b]
[b]We desperately need an upgrade at OG, Jenkins Character is in question, I dont know much about Martin or Trevethan. Overall I feel like this Mock has us addressing our biggest areas of weakness in the first 2 rounds and adding depth to LB in the 3rd. The Bengals need a RB no later than the 3rd unless they plan on bringing Benson Back.[/b]

[/quote]

Miller would be a solid add at safety and would fill a need. Trevathan has led the SEC in tackles for each of the last two years with 287 total (144 in 2010 & 143 in 2011). textbook tackler & good in coverage also. Very high motor, hard worker and solid citizen/lockeroom presence. A little smaller (6-1/232) than the Bengals like, but will succeed wherever he goes. At the very least, he will be a Speical teams demon while he works his way into the rotation.

I've been working on a mock draft and I'm considering him, but more along the lines of a late-3rd comp or 4th round pick. I'd really like to see us sign guard or running back in fA to possibly allow us the flexability to possibly take a defensive front seven playmaker early.

has anyone considered the thought of the bengals trading up for Justin Blackmon? Im really not a big fan of this but I also would just love to what this could bring to the offense. According to NFL mocks he is projected at #6 to WAS.

If a 1st and a 3rd could do it do you pull the trigger? I probably just sit pat for anything more than that.

Gilmore looked pretty athletic for the gamecocks today. He might not be a bad choice to sit behind Nate and learn for the last year of his contract. We could probably trade back a few too if needed.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1325542022' post='1083365']
With Hall probably back, and Adam Jones insurance for Clements falling off a bit, we could probably get by with a guy drafted later.
Where do we need help?
[/quote]

Isn't Pacman in his last year of a 2-year deal? I thought his original deal was a 2 year try-out? Has he done (stayed healthy) enough to being him back?

[quote name='Zins30' timestamp='1325563450' post='1083553']
Isn't Pacman in his last year of a 2-year deal? I thought his original deal was a 2 year try-out? Has he done (stayed healthy) enough to being him back?
[/quote]

he's finishing up a 2yr deal. I definitely think you bring him back for say another 2 yr deal, I have no doubt he wants to be back, and I don't think he'll be too hard to resign.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1325564281' post='1083564']

he's finishing up a 2yr deal. I definitely think you bring him back for say another 2 yr deal, I have no doubt he wants to be back, and I don't think he'll be too hard to resign.
[/quote]

Yes, he's shown his worth (IMO). There wasn't much of a drop off with him. He's perfect for the nickel back.

I'm watching DeCastro for Stanford pull, and man! That guy better be there with the 17th pick!

I like the VaTech RB with the 2nd round pick.

[quote name='bigboi' timestamp='1325548258' post='1083435']
it's not know as of yet whether or not trent richardson will enter the draft.but the bengals need a runningback, at point in time I'm all in favor of drafting. A montee ball or chris polk,If the bengals wait tell 5th round,I hope they take bernard pierce.I'm not a expert but I have tret richardson, montee ball,chris polk, and other runningbacks rated higher then lamar miller.I did want janoris jenkin's on the bengals,but I would not risk a 1st or 2nd round pick or him.bengals should also takea look at devon still,the monster in the middle,if pat sims dosen't come back. [blog=''][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2uZ-b0GgEQ[/media][/blog] watch him blow up trent richardson and tell me, you don't want him on the team and in the middle of the defense.
[/quote]

Lamar Miller is the second best RB in this Draft. That said he will be long gone before the Bengals pick in the 2nd round.

[quote name='Zins30' timestamp='1325563450' post='1083553']
[/quote]

I don't see him as being that tough to sign. Depends on the price, I guess. If we don't want to sign him, that makes CB higher priority.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1325563947' post='1083558']
Looking at the schedule for next year, and using this years team playing that schedule, I think 9-7.

I expect us to make moves to improve as the others, well see what that means after the draft as far as predictions.
[/quote]

Since you were low by about 5 games this year, that means we will win 14 games!

I like Isaiah Pead more than Miller, but Pead is so small at 200 pounds.

We need a guy like Pead and a guy like Mike Bush. It would be like an upgraded version of what we have now. Pead has some serious wiggle and Bush has some great size and is your typical 4 yards a carry back.

Trent Richardson is just so much heads above these guys. I almost wouldn't care if we moved up to get him. With our woes inside the redzone, I feel like he could fix them. He's a touchdown machine and a absolute gamebreaker. I just want this team to run the ball effectively again..

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1325566460' post='1083591']
I like Isaiah Pead more than Miller, but Pead is so small at 200 pounds.

We need a guy like Pead and a guy like Mike Bush. It would be like an upgraded version of what we have now. Pead has some serious wiggle and Bush has some great size and is your typical 4 yards a carry back.

Trent Richardson is just so much heads above these guys. I almost wouldn't care if we moved up to get him. With our woes inside the redzone, I feel like he could fix them. He's a touchdown machine and a absolute gamebreaker. I just want this team to run the ball effectively again..
[/quote]

So do I, but I think that starts with line. I don't want to see Richardson get the ball with two DTs in his face like Benson does.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1325564766' post='1083567']

Yes, he's shown his worth (IMO). There wasn't much of a drop off with him. He's perfect for the nickel back.

I'm watching DeCastro for Stanford pull, and man! That guy better be there with the 17th pick!

I like the VaTech RB with the 2nd round pick.
[/quote]

I've been trying to focus in on Decastro also and you're right, he is really impressive.

It seems like we could get a top 5 guard and instant starter in the 2nd round, but Decastro might be that extremely rare OG worth a mid-1st round pick. He might even go higher than that though.

If any of you are not watching the Fiesta Bowl I suggest you do. DeCastro is a stud! Markelle Martin the FS from OK St is making plays everywhere! Very good game

By the numbers Lamar Miller had a slightly better year on the ground than Pead. He also played a tougher schedule. He is a Sophomore, Pead is a Sr. it's no secret I'm a Canes fan I also live in FL so I watched nearly every one of Miami's games. I haven't seen much of Pead so I cannot comment on him. That might also suggest many of you haven't seen much of Miller. He is a home run hitter, every time he touches the ball he can go the distance. Good all around back, good teammate. This team lacks a guy that can break the big run and go the distance. I want that guy next season!

Yeah. If DeCastro is there at 17, which very well might not be true with how high guards have been going, you have to pull the trigger. He is exactly what this line is in need of. Starter at RG for 10+ years.

They just ran behind him at the goal-line to get the touchdown. Tons of good players in the draft this year.

Here are a few of my other draft related thoughts in no particular order:

1. I completely disagree with those who say WR isn't much of a need. Jerome Simpson just isn't the answer. He runs the wrong route multiple times every game.

He's a FA and guys like John Thornton, Dave Lapham, Joe Reedy, etc. who usually have a pretty good pulse on the team don't seem to think the Bengals will make much of an effort to bring him back. So its AJ, an injury prone slot guy (Shipley) coming off a serious injury and an undersized journey man type (Hawkins, who I do like).

Overall, I see a #2 WR as a huge need for the Bengals. It's turning into a passing league and we're seeing the elite teams (NE, GB, NO, Pitt, etc.) making sure they have a lot of great pass catching options. Plus, WRs often take longer than other positions to develop. I think you get Andy his #2 and let him develop, learn and grow right along with Dalton, Green and Gresham. All things being equal, I think it makes sense to use this draft to surround Andy with talent for the long term and then, with those guys in place, we can use our 1st and two 2nd next draft to really load up on D.

2. I think that if we are able to re-sign Adam Jones, CB is not as huge of a need as some are making it out to me. Hall should be back by training camp and is signed long term to big money. Pacman is a good #2 CB and just as good a player as guys like Janoris Jenkins (who we are seeing mocked to us in the 1st). And Clements is a solid #3. Now, don't get me wrong. We need to add to our depth at the position b/c who knows if Ghee will every amount to anything and we will need to replace Clements in 2013. But to me, it looks like a spot where it makes more sense to target a couple middle round guys (or only 1 if they actually believe in Ghee) to develop, not a major 1st round need.

3. On the other hand, I think people are under-estimating the need at Safety a bit. Reggie Nelson has sucked in my opinion. He makes occasional big plays, but I can't remember a Bengals Safety giving up big plays this regularly since Ifeani Ohalete. Both of those long Ray Rice runs were on Nelson and that was just this week. He's a FA and I would not bring him back as a starter. Crocker is mediocre and getting older. Mays, meh. I think we need to either pony up for a top S in FA or use one of our 1st or 2nd round picks on one. I think with better Safety play, our CBs would look a lot better also.

4. I'm probably most conflicted about the RB position. It's not totally necessary in this day and age to have a superstar RB. Look at GB, NE, New Orleans, etc. That being said, I see the massive impact a guy like Ray Rice can have on games and know how important the running game is in our division, and I think maybe it does make a lot of sense to get a big-time RB. Lamar Miller is my favorite of the options as he has a perfect RB build and legit sub 4.4 speed and the ability to break huge runs like we just saw out of Rice, but I just don't know if it makes sense to take a RB in the 1st these days.

I'm somewhat leaning towards the idea of a low priced FA combined with like a 3rd round pick may be our best bet if there are big-time guys at other positions available in the 1st.

I have heard a lot of rumination about Clements sliding back to safety, which could be a solid stopgap. He can easily go another 3-4 years back there as his speed diminishes. That move, of course, would be dependent on how Hall comes back from his injury.

DB as a whole is still probably the weakest position group on the team, followed by OG/WR in some order. I'd hope for some FAs brought in at each spot with at least one of them being a premier guy, then we can fill in talent with our high picks.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1325522494' post='1083179']
Bengals #20 (from Oak) David DeCastro G Stanford
Bengals #23 Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska

Bengals #17 (from Oak) David DeCastro OG Stanford
Bengals #21 Barret Jones OG Alabama[/quote]

[b]I would LOVE either of these drafts ! [/b]

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1325567679' post='1083611']
After watching this game, I wouldn't even be mad if we traded up for Justin Blackmon. Motherfucker is incredible.
[/quote]
[b]If Blackmon or Jeffries are available around #10 ... then it would be worth considering packaging picks to move up for either of them. [/b]

Archived