Marvin Lewis about to get on Collin Cowherd

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' timestamp='1325530763' post='1083261']
i assume I can go back to any Marvin interview over the last 8 years and here the same thing? Did he say anything unusual?

Yeah Cowherd said at the start of the season 3, wins and that was a gift, he didn't even see that many on our schedule
[/quote]

That's really dumb. Even if we were a 4-12 type team, there was Clevelandx2, Jax, and at least 2 from the NFCW. Once he knew Manning was out, add Indy.

I missed it. I was just parking the car to get some lunch. I posted it so you guys could hear. The only thing I heard was that right before the interview he said, could you imagine being a Browns fan and having to face Andy Dalton twice a season? Also said that they had to face 3 good QB's twice a season. Must not feel good to be a Browns fan. And that we made the playoffs while being in the AFC North! We made the playoffs having to be in a division with the Steelers and the Ravens. He said that was an amazing thing to be able to do. And that we have our Franchise QB of the future no doubt. But I missed the Marvin part.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1325531124' post='1083265']
And that we made the playoffs while being in the AFC North! We made the playoffs having to be in a division with the Steelers and the Ravens. He said that was an amazing thing to be able to do.
[/quote]

I was just telling someone yesterday that if you swap the Bengals and 49ers divisions, the Bengals are a 12-4 team and the 49ers are a 11-5 or 10-6 team. I think the 0-4 we went against the Ravens and Stealers becomes 3-1 against the likes of Arizona, Seattle, and St Louis. I may be very wrong, but I keep holding out hope that the Stealers and Ravens runs of success will end soon and they'll at least fall back to mediocrity. I may have to keep wishing.

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' timestamp='1325538844' post='1083331']

I was just telling someone yesterday that if you swap the Bengals and 49ers divisions, the Bengals are a 12-4 team and the 49ers are a 11-5 or 10-6 team. I think the 0-4 we went against the Ravens and Stealers becomes 3-1 against the likes of Arizona, Seattle, and St Louis. I may be very wrong, but I keep holding out hope that the Stealers and Ravens runs of success will end soon and they'll at least fall back to mediocrity. I may have to keep wishing.
[/quote]

That's one thing those hoping to be a 'perennial winner' leave out - you need to have the other teams in your divison suck on a regular basis.

[/quote]

every year i think the ravens time is coming to a close at least for a couple years, but it never does, they have done poorly for 1 year here and there but always rebound

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' timestamp='1325540132' post='1083338']

every year i think the ravens time is coming to a close at least for a couple years, but it never does, they have done poorly for 1 year here and there but always rebound
[/quote]

Come now, you don't need others to suck in order to be good. How do you think the Steelers feel going into the playoffs at 12-4 and a #5 seed? Good teams find a way to always beat the teams they should, and to win more than they lose against the good teams. This Bengals team still plays to the level of their opponent. They also tend to fall behind early and have to fight their way back. When a team does this, they can't afford to make mistakes like penalties and turnovers. They also have to be super efficient on third down conversions, and be able to make big plays.

The negative attributes the Bengals still possess comes down to coaching and the atmosphere that has surrounded the team.

[/quote]

a part of me would be ok with a ravens title if it got reed and lewis retired, and maybe rice to leave for a big pay day.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1325541298' post='1083351']

Come now, you don't need others to suck in order to be good. How do you think the Steelers feel going into the playoffs at 12-4 and a #5 seed? Good teams find a way to always beat the teams they should, and to win more than they lose against the good teams. This Bengals team still plays to the level of their opponent. They also tend to fall behind early and have to fight their way back. When a team does this, they can't afford to make mistakes like penalties and turnovers. They also have to be super efficient on third down conversions, and be able to make big plays.

The negative attributes the Bengals still possess comes down to coaching and the atmosphere that has surrounded the team.
[/quote]

I've been giving you a chance, but you know I think this board will be a lot better place for me to read with you on ignore.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1325541392' post='1083355']

I've been giving you a chance, but you know I think this board will be a lot better place for me to read with you on ignore.
[/quote]

The Bengals have had a great year with young players, but the faults Marvin has had over his entire coaching career with the Bengals has never changed. Pointing that out somehow makes me a bad poster? Well I think being overly a homer makes someone a bad poster, but they have their right to their opinion just the same as I have my right to just pass over what they say.

[/quote]

at what point was i negative on the Bengals, I think we can be a consistant team now, but that doesnt mean i cant also wonder about other teams decreasing...Every year the Ravens defense gets older, yet they are able to remain consistantly great, all i was saying was it amazes me that they continue at that level year after year

I'll point to one thing...good leadership from the top down. Ozzie Newsome continues to bring in the right guys, they have good team leaders, and they don't tend to make mistakes on a consistant basis.

If you look at all the teams that have consistantly been good in the NFL, they draft well, they get rid of guys right as they start to decline, they have players that are vocal team leaders, and their coaches year after year make all the right moves.

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' timestamp='1325541669' post='1083359']

at what point was i negative on the Bengals, I think we can be a consistant team now, but that doesnt mean i cant also wonder about other teams decreasing...Every year the Ravens defense gets older, yet they are able to remain consistantly great, all i was saying was it amazes me that they continue at that level year after year
[/quote]

Re-read that. He didn't say you were being negative. He said the team has negative attributes.

[/quote]

Well they only have one division title to show for it in the last three years. And ask the Ravens how much they liked being a Wildcard the years before this one.

Teams like the Colts that had little competion in the division over the years have an easier time of it.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1325541647' post='1083358']

The Bengals have had a great year with young players, but the faults Marvin has had over his entire coaching career with the Bengals has never changed. Pointing that out somehow makes me a bad poster? Well I think being overly a homer makes someone a bad poster, but they have their right to their opinion just the same as I have my right to just pass over what they say.
[/quote]

Ive seen him say that to 75% of the posters here. Don't pay attention. Being on his ignore list is a good thing, because you don't get his replies anymore.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1325542599' post='1083373']

Well they only have one division title to show for it in the last three years. And ask the Ravens how much they liked being a Wildcard the years before this one.

Teams like the Colts that had little competion in the division over the years have an easier time of it.
[/quote]

The Colts haven't always had an easy way of it. The Titans under Fisher were great for years and years. The Jags have had some playoff years as well. If you want to use an example you really should point to the easy run the Pats have had of late. The Jets have a good year now and then, but they also flop like they did this year.

It's not that the Bengals won the division a few years ago, it's the fact that the next year they made moves that were supposed to have upgraded the team, and instead they fell on their face.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1325542599' post='1083373']

[/quote]

Off topic of me, but speaking of the Colts, word is they are firing the Polians. How's that for accountability? Jesuuus. Something like a decade of 12+ win seasons, then you have one bad year and heads roll. Wow.

[quote name='big_dish' timestamp='1325542853' post='1083378']
Off topic of me, but speaking of the Colts, word is they are firing the Polians. How's that for accountability? Jesuuus. Something like a decade of 12+ win seasons, then you have one bad year and heads roll. Wow.
[/quote]

Not just one bad year, but one bad year missing your franchise QB for the entire season. Of coarse they did sign Peyton to the largest contract in NFL history...and they did so with him so hurt he had to have surgery and miss the whole year. That was a pretty big mistake. Especially considering they might cut him next year and lose all that guarenteed money.

[quote name='big_dish' timestamp='1325542853' post='1083378']
[/quote]

I mentioned it on another board, but I suspect that the Polians wanted to draft Luck (I believe Polian's other son is on Stanford's staff), and the owner Irsay wants to stick with Manning, causing a rift between them.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1325542776' post='1083376']

The Colts haven't always had an easy way of it. The Titans under Fisher were great for years and years. The Jags have had some playoff years as well. If you want to use an example you really should point to the easy run the Pats have had of late. The Jets have a good year now and then, but they also flop like they did this year.

It's not that the Bengals won the division a few years ago, it's the fact that the next year they made moves that were supposed to have upgraded the team, and instead they fell on their face.
[/quote]

Neither team has been a perennial threat since 2004, which is a big contrast to our division. And yes, the Pats also have an easy division. When the Jets got decent then not so coincidentally the Pats didn't make the playoffs.

You won't get an arguement from me about how the 2010 changes we made were a mistake. We need to be able to run the ball - hell look at how key our inability to make short yardage plays has been all year. I think an all out offensive team like the Colts is a mistake in this division even if we had the personnel - which we do not, yet. We need a D, and to be able to pound it, then send AJ Green for the jugular.

Archived