Marvin Lewis about to get on Collin Cowherd

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1325552235' post='1083483']
Well from what I read he wanted more modern stuff for the players, better food catered in, and Brat gone. I don't think Carson was the only one that wanted Brat gone. I seem to recall some of the players making fun at the size of Gruden's playbook compared to Brat's.
[/quote]

Well Carson said the exact opposite after the trade - that his retiring was all selfish. And frankly, I don't think Brat gets the nod to throw out the 2009 program without Carson's support. Or that we sign those two crappy, expensive WRs and TO without Carson wanting it. To me, Carson and Brat were the pass happy faction, Marv, not so much.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1325552435' post='1083484']

Well Carson said the exact opposite after the trade - that his retiring was all selfish. And frankly, I don't think Brat gets the nod to throw out the 2009 program without Carson's support. Or that we sign those two crappy, expensive WRs and TO without Carson wanting it. To me, Carson and Brat were the pass happy faction, Marv, not so much.
[/quote]

Of coarse Carson is going to back track and say the things he did AFTER the trade. Why burn bridges with the rest of the league when he has only burned it with the Bengals to this point. He had to try to save some face.

Then there is the Akili Smith trade that Mike Brown didn't make! Can you guys believe that one?

Holy fuck! What a screw up.

We didn't hire Bill Walsh!

The Carl Pickens clause. There's plenty of stuff that can be rehashed over and over again.

this sounds like the exact opposite of yesterday.

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/LanceMcAlister"]LanceMcAlister[/url] [color=#999999][size=3]Lance McAlister[/size][/color]
[color=#999999][size=2]
[/size][/color]

[font=Arial,]
Colin Cowherd said he doesn't like Bengals because beaten nobody and doesn't like Texans because of Yates..hmmmm..maybe a tie this weekend?[/font]

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/LanceMcAlister/status/154232896599769090"]5 minutes ago [/url][size=2][url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Favorite[/b][/url] [url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Retweet[/b][/url] [url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Reply[/b][/url][/size]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1325608193' post='1083719']
this sounds like the exact opposite of yesterday.

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/LanceMcAlister"]LanceMcAlister[/url] [color=#999999][size=3]Lance McAlister[/size][/color]

Colin Cowherd said he doesn't like Bengals because beaten nobody and doesn't like Texans because of Yates..hmmmm..maybe a tie this weekend?

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/LanceMcAlister/status/154232896599769090"]5 minutes ago [/url][size=2][url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Favorite[/b][/url] [url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Retweet[/b][/url] [url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Reply[/b][/url][/size]
[/quote]

He's talking about the outcome of the game. But he did say everything I mentioned.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1325608579' post='1083723']

He's talking about the outcome of the game. But he did say everything I mentioned.
[/quote]

wasn't implying that you were lying, but rather that this is the type of flip flop double talk Cowturd is known for.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1325552634' post='1083486']

Of coarse Carson is going to back track and say the things he did AFTER the trade. Why burn bridges with the rest of the league when he has only burned it with the Bengals to this point. He had to try to save some face.
[/quote]

You keep putting your comments out there as if they are all substantiated. Nothing you have said can be confirmed. Palmer never said it publicly but you say it happened and he was saving face? All kinds of speculation flew about discussions that happened behind closed doors. All we have from the horses mouth (Palmer) is that he was purely selfish (which he probably really feels now that we made the playoffs). I'll go with the horses mouth on this one instead of a bitter troll.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1325609300' post='1083730']
Cowherd has always been known to talk up his guests, to turn sides the next day and act like a tough guy. It's his mantra...or [s]cowardice[/s] [b]cowherdice[/b].
[/quote]

fixed

:pooh_go:

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1325551578' post='1083474']

Oldschooler is giving people from Lebanon a bad name. If Woody Harrelson catches wind of this there just might be a man purse fight.

:pursefight:
[/quote]

You saying I'm from Lebanon is one of many, many things you were wrong about
in this thread. But the only one that insulted me.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1325549099' post='1083445']

Once again all you ignore the facts. How quickly you forget the 4-12 season LAST year. I have said several times I am happy with this year, but give credit where it is due, to the PLAYERS on the field. How smart of a move was it that Marvin passed up on a 47 yard FG against Denver with less than 5 minutes to go in the game, with a super accurate kicker in Nugent...then lose by 2? Marvin has made this kind of poor decisions throughout his career with Cincinnati. A lot of the time the players have to save Marvin from his own mistakes. It's not bitching, it's stating it like it is. If you don't like it, prove me wrong or STFU. Winning might solve the problem for a year, but if next year he brings out a team that lays an egg and goes 5-11 what good was it? Marvin needs to get off the sidelines and move into the front office and allow a real general to take his place on the sideline.
[/quote]

Marvin took a team that was 4-12 and guided them to the playoffs with two rookies at critical positions. He has been mentioned as a coach of the year candidate. let people enjoy the run.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1325610952' post='1083745']

You saying I'm from Lebanon is one of many, many things you were wrong about
in this thread. But the only one that insulted me.
[/quote]

Wildcat...Warrior...it's all the same, both aren't as good as Panthers.

[quote name='Bengal27' timestamp='1325611418' post='1083749']
Marvin took a team that was 4-12 and guided them to the playoffs with two rookies at critical positions. He has been mentioned as a coach of the year candidate. let people enjoy the run.
[/quote]

Here is the honest deal. When Marvin was hired, I didn't like it. I thought he was a token hire at a time when the Rooney rule was fesh and teams were catching flack over it. Even when Marvin had some decent seasons I saw mistakes he made his first year and still didn't correct them. When the Bengals went to the playoffs others believe Marvin was a mesiah and could do no wrong. I saw the opposite, I saw a coach still making his same rookie mistakes and that didn't hold control over his team. In 2005 there was a locker room fight, and we know how that went. Years following 2005 others expected the Bengals to continue to improve and make the playoffs, they didn't, and some started to call for his head. I stood idely by and simply pointed out that some of the things people were complaining about had been going on since his first year. The Bengals had another playoff birth and once again fans started to say he was the greatest thing to happen to the Bengals. I on the other hand waited to see what happened next, 2010 the Bengals fell on their faces. 2011 a group of young infused players come in and make an improbably run to the playoffs. Things are great in Bengaldom again...excep Marvin still makes the same head coaching mistakes.

Point being, Fans have flip flopped over the years on Marvin, yet I have been steadfast in my beliefs that he may be a football guy, but he is not a field general. He can't command the attention of his team, he can't manage game situations, and his game preparation sucks. With that said, I hope he moves into the front office and gives a guy like Jack Del Rio a shot at taking this team far into the playoffs in the years to come.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1325612194' post='1083757']

Here is the honest deal. When Marvin was hired, I didn't like it. I thought he was a token hire at a time when the Rooney rule was fesh and teams were catching flack over it. Even when Marvin had some decent seasons I saw mistakes he made his first year and still didn't correct them.
[/quote]

What were you, 16 at the time?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1325612194' post='1083757']

Here is the honest deal. When Marvin was hired, I didn't like it. I thought he was a token hire at a time when the Rooney rule was fesh and teams were catching flack over it.
[/quote]

Well thanks for finally making things clear.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1325613374' post='1083767']

Well thanks for finally making things clear.
[/quote]

Now don't take that out of context. I'm not a racist but I believe there were other coaches more seasoned to take over the Bengals. I wish the Bengals would have gotten Tom Coughlin at the time, but Mike Brown wouldn't give in to any of his demands. The main point I was tryng to make is, I have had my opinion since the very begining and despite the record of the team I have not wavered from that opinion because Marvin himself hasn't corrected his own mistakes and shortgivings. If a guy false starts 4-5 times a game and never fixes the problem, don't you expect something to get done? Well why shouldn't Marvin be held accountable the same when he misuses replays and timeouts, or when his team comes out looking flat and unprepared week after week?

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1325617759' post='1083819']
I hear some of what your saying Lew but the Marvin thing being a Rooney Rule deal?

The guy had the best D of all time, and then went into DC and made them a top 10 D to show it wasnt just a fluke.

He was more than qualified.
[/quote]

There have been several great coordinators that just weren't head coaching material. Mike Martz put together the greatest offense of all time in St. Louis but has always sucked as a head coach. Marvin reminds me of that quiet kid in the back of the class that never seems to be paying attention and instead doodling all the time, yet every paper you pass back to him he has an 'A' grade on it. He comprehends the material, he can exress the material, but as a head coach I don't think he has that motivational ability.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1325617968' post='1083821']
Stop quoting Lewdog for the sake of anyone who's got him on ignore please :wave:

Sure that list is growing quite large by now...
[/quote]

Is this board really full of so many homers that they can't debate things? What would a board be if people didn't have different opiions? Maybe I should just post from 4pm-5pm while they are at the Senior discount buffet, and after 7 pm when they are in bed.

You just said the only reason you thought Marvin was hired is because he was black, and you continue to hate on him because you didn't like him to begin with.

'Nuff said about you.

The only reason I got to read that abortion of a thought is because someone quoted it, unfortunately.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1325618425' post='1083827']
You just said the only reason you thought Marvin was hired is because he was black, and you continue to hate on him because you didn't like him to begin with.

'Nuff said about you.

The only reason I got to read that abortion of a thought is because someone quoted it, unfortunately.
[/quote]

No, I think him being black and the fact that the NFL has a rule like the Rooney rule is why Marvin got hired. There were other coaches who I thought were better qualified than he was. Sure rules like the Rooney rule hold their purpose in certain situations but it also creates reverse racism when someone disagrees with a decision that was made. That's how I feel. I look at Marvin as if he is a neutral color as compared to all other coaching candidates and as doing so thought he shouldn't have been hired. BUT, because he is black, and the NFL does employee the Rooney rule, and every year there was a point made at the number of Black coaches in the NFL, and how many coaches would even get interviews, the NFL is the one that started it all. When Marvin was hired, Mike Brown was dealing with a pretty big storm around the franchise and needed to deflect some of that with some positive PR, so he hired Marvin, a black head coach with a positive background in defense and being on a Super Bowl champion. That sounds good and all, but there were other coaches out there with actual head coaching experience that would have a lot better suited for dealing with the situation in Cincinnati at the time.

Once again my opinion of him as a head coaching candidate had nothing to do with him being black, it is simply a state the NFL has put itself in.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1325618826' post='1083829']

No, I think him being black and the fact that the NFL has a rule like the Rooney rule is why Marvin got hired. There were other coaches who I thought were better qualified than he was. Sure rules like the Rooney rule hold their purpose in certain situations but it also creates reverse racism when someone disagrees with a decision that was made. That's how I feel. I look at Marvin as if he is a neutral color as compared to all other coaching candidates and as doing so thought he shouldn't have been hired. BUT, because he is black, and the NFL does employee the Rooney rule, and every year there was a point made at the number of Black coaches in the NFL, and how many coaches would even get interviews, the NFL is the one that started it all. When Marvin was hired, Mike Brown was dealing with a pretty big storm around the franchise and needed to deflect some of that with some positive PR, so he hired Marvin, a black head coach with a positive background in defense and being on a Super Bowl champion. That sounds good and all, but there were other coaches out there with actual head coaching experience that would have a lot better suited for dealing with the situation in Cincinnati at the time.

Once again my opinion of him as a head coaching candidate had nothing to do with him being black, it is simply a state the NFL has put itself in.
[/quote]

Weston has to be thinking, how the hell did I get a 3 day banishment when Lewdog is still around.

Archived