I switched back to a Blackberry....small happiness....

So i had that EVO 3D, and the gmail stopped coming in automatically unless i pulled the battery, i had to reset it once a month or so, the battery lasted about a day, never longer.

and i had a realization.... that it was essentially like having a windows computer its all customizable and fun for a while,but i dont play games on my phone, and it basically requires regular maintenance, nothing serious and they have apps to auto-clear caches and cookies and whatever, but its likehaving to have antivirus and a system cleanup going regularly just for shit to work properly.

I made the same justifications i did when i hated mac fanbois and was a windows guy, "you just have to be smart enough to maintain it, only idiots break windows, etc) there are like 10 app updates a week, etc..

i want my phone to:
google shit
make calls
text easily
do chase bank app
paypal
gps
take decent pics
and keep a solid address book integrated into other features

which every pda on the market can do the above

so my boss lost her blackberry bold touch, and couldnt afford the $100 deductible to replace it, so she offered it to me, I got it, sold my evo 3d for $180, and started using the blackberry.

I had the following light bulbs go off:

Android = Windows - every has it, they load tons of shit on it, then they blame the phone for running like shit(as i see daily at work)
Blackberry = Linux - Apps are limited, but it runs clean and smooth, you can have tons of fun and find everything you need easily but the shit just works.
iOS = Apple obviously, you pay for some apps that are free for android, but you know they are quality checked to work for sure on your device. high cost for reliability/convenience.
Windows mobile = a non factor, its like half finished android with cool xbox features.

so having the great messaging feature and a real keyboard has been awesome, the lack of apps is lame, but the reception is better i dont drop in places a dropped every single time ont he 3D... battery is 3 days-ish.

I doubt i keep it long, missing some key apps i like is a deal breaker i think... i will probably grab an iphone 4s since it wont cost me anything basically...

the galaxy s2/ epic touch is probably one of the few android devices with enough power to run it with minimal needs and upkeep...

kinda like having a $2500 pc and saying vista doesnt cause you any problems... high power eliminates some hiccups...

just figured i would share....

From your description, it sounds like you'd really love that iPhone 4s should you decide to pull the trigger on it. I own several Mac products and they're amazingly low maintenance. I realized the other day that my MacBook Pro is over 3 years old, and it still runs fast as hell. And note that I'm a software engineer who has high standards for computer performance. I've never had to reformat it, defrag it, or anything else. It just goes. Yeah, you definitely pay a premium for that, but I think it's well worth it.

Back to phones, I have the regular iPhone 4, and it's the same thing. I've never had a single problem with it. My email has worked flawlessly while my Android-toting coworkers have had trouble with it. The app store is the best out there.

I will say that I have heard good things about the new Windows phones. So maybe they're worth a look.

I switched from Android to a 4S a couple of weeks ago and am blown away by how much better the performance and battery life are. It's[size=4] like going from dating Bea Arthur to banging Anne Hathaway.[/size]

[font=lucida grande][color=#000000]And Witty, I have a 12" PowerBook G4 circa 2003. It's still all original from the HDD to the RAM, and it's running Leopard with no issue. I still use it for internet access when I'm upstairs in our loft. Sure you pay out the ass for their products, but an Apple laptop will last a minimum of 8 usable years... [/color][/font]

iPhone 4s is not without flaws. There's the speaker problems, the stuck button problems, and the problem that it's too damn small of a screen for doing anything useful on. BTW, third party task killers and antivirus and all that shit for Android is not necessary.

[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1325824792' post='1084862']
iPhone 4s is not without flaws. There's the speaker problems, the stuck button problems, and the problem that it's too damn small of a screen for doing anything useful on. BTW, third party task killers and antivirus and all that shit for Android is not necessary.
[/quote]

Oh, it's far from perfect, but what technology product is? However, it's pretty damn slick compared to most every other phone out there.

And you forgot about the battery charging issue and gmail periodically failing to connect for no goddamn reason.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1325822905' post='1084856']

I will say that I have heard good things about the new Windows phones. So maybe they're worth a look.
[/quote]

I have heard good things about them as well, and was seriously considering actually looking at one, then got the opportunity to jump to the iPhone so I took it.

The problem is Windows could come out with the best phone on the market, but their marketing team is pure shit, and their relationship with the major phone vendors is even worse. For all of their billions, they spend it horribly...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1325825733' post='1084866']

The problem is Windows could come out with the best phone on the market, but their marketing team is pure shit, and their relationship with the major phone vendors is even worse. For all of their billions, they spend it horribly...
[/quote]

Agreed. They seem to be running on the philosophy that if they throw enough money at something, people will buy it. Also, they're typically horrible at UI development, although I hear their mobile OS is the exception to that rule.

As an example, I've been following the Windows 8 updates, and also downloaded the Developer's Preview and am very fearful for what this thing is going to end up being, and how much Metro is going to be featured. They seem convinced that everyone is going to be using a touch interface.

Xbox already got a preview of this with their new Dashboard interface. It seems like it's made specifically for users with Kinect....forgetting that the majority of the market doesn't actually own a Kinect.

I think Windows 8 is going the same direction. It's going to favor touch screens, yet a huge bulk of the computing word still needs to use a mouse.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1325828239' post='1084869']

Agreed. They seem to be running on the philosophy that if they throw enough money at something, people will buy it. Also, they're typically horrible at UI development, although I hear their mobile OS is the exception to that rule.

As an example, I've been following the Windows 8 updates, and also downloaded the Developer's Preview and am very fearful for what this thing is going to end up being, and how much Metro is going to be featured. They seem convinced that everyone is going to be using a touch interface.

Xbox already got a preview of this with their new Dashboard interface. It seems like it's made specifically for users with Kinect....forgetting that the majority of the market doesn't actually own a Kinect.

I think Windows 8 is going the same direction. It's going to favor touch screens, yet a huge bulk of the computing word still needs to use a mouse.
[/quote]

Looks like they'll be following their traditional MO in OS platform development; put out a good one (or even great in respect to W7) and fuck up the next one...

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1325814751' post='1084830']
Nice breakdown. But dropping calls shouldn't be the phone it self but rather the service right? And I want the damn Razor,but I will wait for the next iphone 5 if it comes out soon if I ever switch to the iphone.
[/quote]

its two fold. the service is presented to each phone the same, the same radio waves are in the air, however the construction materials, placement of the radio in the device, and any extended antenna are big factors. the original motorola razr for example, had its ONLY antenna/radio in the base, the only thick part of the phone, but also the only place people held it, this it had shotty reception if you held it there, also see the iphone 4 original design issues for left handed phone holders, they added an antenna wire to around the device inside that fixed it. so likely due to the large lcd which has metal backing in the evo 3d and evo i once had, the service was hampered before it got to the radio part phone. the bold touch is made with two antenna strips front and back housing that encase everything, thus i get signal and maintain a call in a specifica area better... in most scenarios it wouldnt matter, in fringe coverage it will play a role.

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1325815832' post='1084835']
Sucks to hear that. I have not really had any issues with my EVO 3D. I am also running a rom with a custom kernel though, may be why....
[/quote]

there is nothing specifically wrong with that model. it is built well and has a good processor and good amount of memory, android is outdoing itself very quickly with OS versions and capabilities which is forcing phone makers to amp up phone power(processor/ram, etc) i get a ridiculous amount of email, so the email hiccups caused me annoyance the most quickly. the few specific needs i have, the bberry and ios systems fit slightly better. working in wireless for almost 10 years has made cell phones not a bit of fun for me anymore..so all the cute little customizations and games and other cool stuff isnt a factor anymore... android is definetly the "fun OS" its cool, just doenst fit my needs as well as the other two.

and if you dont happen to use apps that cache hoard (facebook is HORRIBLE) then it probably wont ever bother you honestly.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1325822905' post='1084856']
From your description, it sounds like you'd really love that iPhone 4s should you decide to pull the trigger on it. I own several Mac products and they're amazingly low maintenance. I realized the other day that my MacBook Pro is over 3 years old, and it still runs fast as hell. And note that I'm a software engineer who has high standards for computer performance. I've never had to reformat it, defrag it, or anything else. It just goes. Yeah, you definitely pay a premium for that, but I think it's well worth it.

Back to phones, I have the regular iPhone 4, and it's the same thing. I've never had a single problem with it. My email has worked flawlessly while my Android-toting coworkers have had trouble with it. The app store is the best out there.

[/quote]

i also have a MBP approaching its 3rd year (next month it turns 3) no issues aside from a permissions hiccup once.. tossed a 1tb hd in it and 8gb ram... its still running great.. im itchin for anew one just to boost video editing/converting speeds and stuff, but there isnt anything wrong with it..

[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1325824792' post='1084862']
[/quote]

you do realize i oversee cell phone repairs, and failure trends for a living?

the average failed hardware on an iphone 4(latest release) and iphone 4s is 1 if 600(550-650 average back and forth) right now. with around 6-8 million sold(just at my carrier)

the average failure rate on the average android is 1 if 22(this is drastically skewed by shitty android devices that shouldnt even exist, like the transform or intercept)

of the high ends androids, the epic touch II the evo 3d, etc, its around 1 in 230-250(was as low as 1 in 300 for a long while)

average device failure rate in the first 180 days is around 3% across the board, in 365 days its around 8%..

those numbers are regional to my particular 20% of the country that i can see stats for. so give or take 1% either direction

i never cared for the iphone previously, i have no desire for music on my phone, or movies, or games, etc.. so it seemd like overkill to me.

and i have been STUNNED by the success rates of the iphones they just released...im almost waiting for the ball to drop.

it kind of seems you just hate the iphone since you brought up pretty nitpicky issues with it as if every htc model ever doesnt have button or screen or speaker issues, everything does, did some punk kid blare his music loud and blow it? did some angry person mash the buttons hard cause they were pissed? did they leave the phone int he car in heat or super cold and the cd is bad?. every device ever made has flaws and failures. I dont particularly like the look of the iphone, but its probably what will work best for my needs in the end.

hell the iphone 4 had huge reception issues if you held it a certain way... thats a HUGE problem...

and there are literally BUCKETS of replacement htc speakers, speakerphones, buttons and screens i have at work.... all of my opinions are based on the reasonable assumption that everything has SOME issues... and then basing those issues on my needs and my lifestyle...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1325828417' post='1084870']

Looks like they'll be following their traditional MO in OS platform development; put out a good one (or even great in respect to W7) and fuck up the next one...
[/quote]

i was too lazy to find the original windows mobile 7 post so i quoted this one.

wm7 is cool, its light weight and user friendly, but its a non factor in the PDA market. it has cool features, especially with xbox integration and its supposed to get even cooler features with the identical os on desktop and mobile phone idea they are trying to institute. but they fell so far behind, priced themselves out of manufacturer interest(windows mobile license fees are nuts) and came so late with wm7 the market alllll turned to android and ios.

they hope to transfer all of the zune fanbase into wm phones so they can keep the zune pass and all that music unlimited going... but its not working. they are selling less than 1% of the marketshare of PDA's right now, blackberry is even still beating them (mostly due to large companies runnin a BES server, requiring employees to have a bberry). but still....

the htc arrive wm7 phone and the htv evo shift are almost identical phones, and the arrive spent most of its shelf live more than DOUBLE the cost of the shift...

microsoft is making 200x more money of patent license fees from samsung and htc than it is selling its own devices and OS. if not more..

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1325858524' post='1084916']
So in regards to android vs iphone, it comes down to the hardware you are comparing more than the the OS.
[/quote]

I don't know that that's entirely accurate. iPhones are reliable and maintenance free partly because the OS and hardware work so well together. One of the problems with Androids is that you have one OS running on a potentially infinite number of hardware devices, which causes some potential problems and generally ends up having some bloat in the OS. Apple controls both the hardware and the software in the iPhone, so they know exactly what they're developing for and can be confident in what to expect as far as hardware goes. Android doesn't have that luxury. They can tell the hardware manufacturers what specs are needed to run the software, but there's still going to be a lot of variation between individual models as to what hardware is actually in them.

Further complicating things is that it's up to the phone models carrier to push out Android updates. There's been some problems with Android phones running a version (or two) behind the current release version of Android just because the carrier refused to push it out. Apple updates go out across the board for everyone because they're controlled by Apple. Granted, there's been a few issues with these release over the years. But they've generally been pretty small issues that go away after a few days (when a patch is pushed out).

Interesting thread. I don't mind my android too bad, then again it is my first smart phone (Droid 2). My wife hates her's though (same phone), she has all kinds of weird problems with it (and she isn't "app crazy", but the few apps she did have I removed and did a hard reset, and it still acts weird). We both feel that a QWERTY keyboard is a necessity, so unfortunately we're pretty limited, and a blackberry may be too "boring" for my wife.

Windows mobile = a non factor, its like half finished android with cool xbox features

Windows mobile has been dead going on 2 years now so I guess you're referring to windows phone 7.

Don't understand the half finished android part but I'm loving my windows phone 7. It's nice to not have to open 3 or 4 apps to find out what's going on, just look at the live tiles and see what's up with the people and things I'm interested in.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1325830902' post='1084876']

they hope to transfer all of the zune fanbase into wm phones so they can keep the zune pass and all that music unlimited going... but its not working. they are selling less than 1% of the marketshare of PDA's right now, blackberry is even still beating them ([b]mostly due to large companies runnin a BES server, requiring employees to have a bberry[/b]). but still....

[/quote]

That is quickly coming to an end, and is the primary reason for RIM slowly circling the drain. BES' are heinously fucking expensive, and RIM's entire business model is built around a technology and business model that is expensive, complex, and a pain in the ass to manage when something goes wrong. The latest version of Active-Synch for iPhone and Android is practically flawless and renders the BES completely superfluous. My new evil overlords basically told everyone in our old company with a BB to fuck off and get an iPhone or Android phone as they were no longer supporting BB and would not add any more licenses to their BES.

RIM better hit one out of the park soon, or they'll go the way of Palm...

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' timestamp='1325867925' post='1084981']
Windows mobile = a non factor, its like half finished android with cool xbox features

Windows mobile has been dead going on 2 years now so I guess you're referring to windows phone 7.

Don't understand the half finished android part but I'm loving my windows phone 7. It's nice to not have to open 3 or 4 apps to find out what's going on, just look at the live tiles and see what's up with the people and things I'm interested in.
[/quote]

By all accounts WP7 is exceptionally well done, runs great on lesser powered hardware, and excels at social media integration.

The problem is you are one of 8 people in the US that actually has one. MS just does not put in the time and effort with the manufacturers and the carriers to get the phones into people's hands, and market it as something that people would [b]want[/b] to have. As discussed previously, MS' mobile marketing and deployment division is dysfunctional on a level one would expect from the Browns front office...

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' timestamp='1325867925' post='1084981']

[/quote]

if i recall you are a huge zune fan as well. so that fits hand in hand with your needs. and yea all versions of windows mobile are non-factors in the smart phone market. it is made well, but it targets the same android crowd but doesnt delivery all of the customizability that android does. and naturally the less savvy general customer has issues syncing with zune(this is why most all get returned that I have seen)

customers are barely smart enough to usb mode or side load music, to force them to use zune and what not is a swing and a miss unless they are zune fans already. itunes does the same thing with iphone, but most of the general public has less issues with itunes.

the wm7 target market seems to be limited to the zune pass population for the most part... but that crowd loves it.

as for the "not having to open4 apps to get information" every single OS, iOS, bberry(yea, even blackberry), wm7, and droid all offer widgets for the main screen to add whatever information you want streamed at all times. wm7 isnt special in that respect aside from it being stock vs being a free add on.

MS should just launch a zune app for droid, they would rake in the cash on that pass fee...i thought they had plans to, but never say much more about it.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1325867124' post='1084970']
Interesting thread. I don't mind my android too bad, then again it is my first smart phone (Droid 2). My wife hates her's though (same phone), she has all kinds of weird problems with it (and she isn't "app crazy", but the few apps she did have I removed and did a hard reset, and it still acts weird). We both feel that a QWERTY keyboard is a necessity, so unfortunately we're pretty limited, and a blackberry may be too "boring" for my wife.
[/quote]

this kind of hits home with me at work, some people just dont fit some phones, i cant explain it, it doesnt make sense.. the most reliable fastest phones ill see one or two people who come in the stores constantly bitching about it and hate it. i cant really figure out what it is.

I dont really get involved with customers unless things go really wrong or strange with getting and issue fixed.. i just want to ask some of them "what the hell are you doing with this to cause these problems"

bad apps or clogged memory(huge text conversations, etc) are 99% cause of customer complaints... some just dont add up at all..

its strange..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1325870619' post='1084998']

this kind of hits home with me at work, some people just dont fit some phones, i cant explain it, it doesnt make sense.. the most reliable fastest phones ill see one or two people who come in the stores constantly bitching about it and hate it. i cant really figure out what it is.

I dont really get involved with customers unless things go really wrong or strange with getting and issue fixed.. i just want to ask some of them "what the hell are you doing with this to cause these problems"

bad apps or clogged memory(huge text conversations, etc) are 99% cause of customer complaints...[b] some just dont add up at all..[/b]

[b]its strange..[/b]
[/quote]

And that, my friend, are why we are gainfully employed...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1325870619' post='1084998']

bad apps or clogged memory(huge text conversations, etc) are 99% cause of customer complaints... some just dont add up at all..

its strange..
[/quote]

The other day my wife sent me a text that didn't make sense AT ALL.

The problem ended up being that the first half of the text she typed ended up merging with a text she sent me a few nights ago, and that was how I received it.

On her phone however, the text was fine.

It was bizarre. Prior to that she had problems where she could barely type a word and then the keyboard would stop working, both QWERTY and on-screen. I turned off the auto period, spellcheck, etc. and it didn't fix it, so I did a hard reset which ended up fixing the problem.

She also has a lot of problems with it running slow and what not. And I bet she probably has a grand total of 7 apps (even less than I have)

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1325876930' post='1085055']

The other day my wife sent me a text that didn't make sense AT ALL.

The problem ended up being that the first half of the text she typed ended up merging with a text she sent me a few nights ago, and that was how I received it.

On her phone however, the text was fine.

It was bizarre. Prior to that she had problems where she could barely type a word and then the keyboard would stop working, both QWERTY and on-screen. I turned off the auto period, spellcheck, etc. and it didn't fix it, so I did a hard reset which ended up fixing the problem.

She also has a lot of problems with it running slow and what not. And I bet she probably has a grand total of 7 apps (even less than I have)
[/quote]

yea all software stuff... using sms apps are the worst and facebooks cache is always HUGE... keep an eye on those type things... and set all apps to auto-update in the market ...

the text one is strange, but sounds like something those SMS apps cause...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1325898762' post='1085201']

yea all software stuff... using sms apps are the worst and facebooks cache is always HUGE... keep an eye on those type things... and set all apps to auto-update in the market ...

the text one is strange, but sounds like something those SMS apps cause...
[/quote]

She uses the stock SMS system, which makes it even weirder. She does have a Facebook App, I'll have to look into that. And she probably has TONS of texts on her phone (our main method of conversation due to different shifts, plus she uses it to talk to all of her nursing friends, literally 24/7 because they all have screwed up sleep schedules)

Archived