I switched back to a Blackberry....small happiness....

Just reading a bit about Windows 8, and Microsoft seems to be making the same mistakes all over again. They're promising timelines for betas and final releases... I don't get it. The odds are so high they'll either miss the self imposed deadlines, or release unfinished products. And why release a beta? To me, it says Microsoft doesn't have a clear direction, and is hoping people will tell them what to do.

Microsoft needs to have a decisive plan, they need to keep that focus through development, they need to not release unfinished software, and they need to not promise release dates until it's done... And they need to get rid of Balmer. That guy could make genuine brilliance sound like the dumbest thing you've ever heard.

...and for the record, I think Windows phone 7 is a big step in the right direction, and that what they want to do with 8 sounds great. I love that they sat down and came up with something unique, easy to use, and useful. They didn't try to copy the way I think Google attacked the situation. But all of that is meaningless if they're fighting with RIM over the tiny scraps iOS and Android leave behind from their feeding frenzy.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' timestamp='1325913648' post='1085260']

She uses the stock SMS system, which makes it even weirder. She does have a Facebook App, I'll have to look into that. And she probably has TONS of texts on her phone (our main method of conversation due to different shifts, plus she uses it to talk to all of her nursing friends, literally 24/7 because they all have screwed up sleep schedules)
[/quote]

in the settings you can limit the amount of archived messages stay in the text thread, 250 is a good number.. i have seen some people with 15,000 in a single text thread.. set a reasonable limit and it will help a ton...

went ahead and ordered an iphone 4s yesterday. got it today. just activated it... so far so good, identical to my ipod touch 4th gen, as expected, should be interesting to see how daily use goes..

i was gonna hold out, but i found my blackberry is going for $400 on ebay right now, and the iphone was $200, so from buying and selling my evo 3d, buying and selling my blackberry, and buying the iphone i will get it free and profit like $180 in the end... and i have a secondary internet card line that I can upgrade in may, so when another phone i want comes out i will just grab that one. on that line and switch it to my main line..

i am an apple whore right now..

i cloud has been badass actually... immediate and flawless syncing of my data is great..

downloaded telenav+ since i have used telenav for like 6 years straight and dont want to use a new nav system...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1325985556' post='1086503']

in the settings you can limit the amount of archived messages stay in the text thread, 250 is a good number.. i have seen some people with 15,000 in a single text thread.. set a reasonable limit and it will help a ton...
[/quote]

It's actually limited to 200, so that isn't the problem.

I'm going to hold out for the Droid 4 to release I guess, or just have her mess with my buddy's iPhone and see if she likes not having a physical keyboard.

pretty excited about not buying apps on mltiple devices, stuff i have on ipad or ipod download free on iphone... i also prefer to pay for an ad-free app vs ad riddle bullshit..

i started playing words with friends on my evo 3d, and the ads after every play made me stop playing all together....$1-$3 t never see an ad is worth every penny to me...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1326259847' post='1088462']
downloaded telenav+ since i have used telenav for like 6 years straight and dont want to use a new nav system...[/quote]

How is it? And how do you use your phone in the car? Drink holder with voice navigation? Attached to your sun visor with visual navigation?

I got Navigon's North America map set on the cheap when they were having a holiday sale. We used it on a trip to Chicago with an iPad, and had pretty good results (it freaked out briefly on our departure from the city, so that was weird). I just don't have an easy way to set up the iPad for just me (have to have the lady hold it and tell me what to do), and haven't tried the phone yet... I'm not a voice navigation kind of guy, and I thought the phone screen might be too small.

Someone needs to make a car stereo that is just a 5-7" touch screen that mirrors your smart phone. Give it am, fm, and Sirius, then get out of your phone's way. Panasonic has one that's a step in the right direction, but not good enough yet.

Biggest mistake I ever made was getting the nav system in my car. It works just fine, but they want to scam you out of $200 each year for upgrading maps.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1326288500' post='1088500']
How is it? And how do you use your phone in the car? Drink holder with voice navigation? Attached to your sun visor with visual navigation?

I got Navigon's North America map set on the cheap when they were having a holiday sale. We used it on a trip to Chicago with an iPad, and had pretty good results (it freaked out briefly on our departure from the city, so that was weird). I just don't have an easy way to set up the iPad for just me (have to have the lady hold it and tell me what to do), and haven't tried the phone yet... I'm not a voice navigation kind of guy, and I thought the phone screen might be too small.

Someone needs to make a car stereo that is just a 5-7" touch screen that mirrors your smart phone. Give it am, fm, and Sirius, then get out of your phone's way. Panasonic has one that's a step in the right direction, but not good enough yet.

Biggest mistake I ever made was getting the nav system in my car. It works just fine, but they want to scam you out of $200 each year for upgrading maps.
[/quote]

telenav has come with sprint phones for almost 6 years, so i am used to it, and love it, i have an account so i log in on setup and it auto imports favorites home, sisters house, etc.. i have common used hotels from bengals road trips in there. its nice. i stick it near my dash and glance down when needed, often just checking the next turn, and looking for it myself listening to the warnings (1 mile, 500 feet, etc)

it works well most of the time. the only time is gets confused is in close proximity downtown streets running the same direction..

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1326313698' post='1088659']
I can't claim to have tried every navigation app on the iPhone, but of the ones I have tried, GPS Drive was easily the best bang for the buck. It has pretty much anything you'd want out of a nav unit, and it's much cheaper than some of the other ones I saw.
[/quote]

It's free with my HTC EVO. Love it even though my car has navigation lol

Archived