The Official CES 2012 thread

mongo

Maybe no one else gets geeked about CES, but I'm excited. Thought I'd just start a single thread for all of the bitchin' stuff that's about to be unveiled... Anyone see the LG, 55" LED TV that's coming out? It's 4mm thick, and weighs 16lbs. That's half as thick as an iPhone!

I used to go every year. I get kinda sad every January thinking about it. Working the show and walking around like a madman bouncing from meeting to meeting was a pain in the ass. But catching up with friends in the industry over drinks and poker was always fantastic. Not to mention buying a ton of new toys to put on sale..

A new Parrot AR Drone is being shown at CES. Seems to have some generic improvements of stronger but lighter, more stable flight... no mention of better flight times though. It now has a 720p camera, but I'm trying to figure out if that's really an improvement or not. The lower rez camera was only streaming at 10-15 fps, so 720p doesn't sound great unless it can do it with better frame rates as well... The one really neat improvement is that it has an alternate control scheme that could be pretty slick. The drone can sense where it is in relation to you, and reverse controls accordingly. That way if it's facing you, you don't have to reverse your thinking.

I got the first generation one for Xmas, and am having fun with it.

That Nikon is pretty slick. It's an absolute beast. I hadn't seen anything about the G1 X, but I'm not paying too much attention to point and shoots.

I'm trying to figure out where I will go in terms of photography in the coming months/year(s). As smart phones take better and better pictures, I find myself reaching for our little Powershot less and less. I'm hoping to phase out a point and shoot altogether within the next year or two. I certainly hope I don't find the need to upgrade in that area. What I'm really waiting on is Pentax to enter the enthusiast mirrorless market. The rumors have been flying forever, but nothing has materialized yet (was hoping for this CES, but no joy). Right now, Sony just owns the mirrorless market with it's NEX-5 and NEX-7... but I will never give Sony another penny of my photography money.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1326458535' post='1089252']
That Nikon is pretty slick. It's an absolute beast. I hadn't seen anything about the G1 X, but I'm not paying too much attention to point and shoots.

I'm trying to figure out where I will go in terms of photography in the coming months/year(s). As smart phones take better and better pictures, I find myself reaching for our little Powershot less and less. I'm hoping to phase out a point and shoot altogether within the next year or two. I certainly hope I don't find the need to upgrade in that area. What I'm really waiting on is Pentax to enter the enthusiast mirrorless market. The rumors have been flying forever, but nothing has materialized yet (was hoping for this CES, but no joy). Right now, Sony just owns the mirrorless market with it's NEX-5 and NEX-7... but I will never give Sony another penny of my photography money.
[/quote]

Phone cameras are really fantastic, particularly when compared to original models or even early point and shoots. I would never go with either though as there are certain things you just can't do with them, particularly in low lighting.

There's no way I get this shot with a smart phone:

[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/lodge308/Pisa.jpg[/IMG]

I just got my ASUS transformer Prime and upgrade to Android 4.0 ICS. I also have an IPad2, but this thing kicks the crap out of it. Thinner, lighter, faster, better cameras (built in flash), fantastic battery life, expandable memory via micro USB, Super IPS screen so bright I can actually use it in sunlight. Love it! The Ipad2 is going to the GF & kids.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1326472978' post='1089326']

Phone cameras are really fantastic, particularly when compared to original models or even early point and shoots. I would never go with either though as there are certain things you just can't do with them, particularly in low lighting.

There's no way I get this shot with a smart phone:

[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/lodge308/Pisa.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

I guess I wasn't quite clear. I want a cellphone to replace my point and shoot, and a mirrorless to replace my dslr. Shots like that would fall into the mirrorless realm for sure. Taking a picture of my dog in a pirate costume might be okay with a phone. :)

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1326481701' post='1089384']
I guess I wasn't quite clear. I want a cellphone to replace my point and shoot, and a mirrorless to replace my dslr. Shots like that would fall into the mirrorless realm for sure. Taking a picture of my dog in a pirate costume might be okay with a phone. :)
[/quote]

I wasn't clear either as that was intended to be more a general statement to the masses on functionality.

I almost went Sony for a DSLR when I jumped from Olympus, but I would have gone with the A580 as the mirrorless models seemed to have issues with overheating. In retrospect glad I went Canon...

Archived