zoomtown vs roadrunner?

So im thinking about swiching from time warner to cincinnati bell internet. My time warner is 10mbps, the fastest cincinnati bell offers is 5mbps. Do you use cincinnati bell? If so is it fast enough to stream netflix in HD without buffering or picture downgrades. Any problems with online gaming?

I had zoomtown for 1 month and never got ANYWHERE close to 5mbps. Even after 3 tech visits to my house.

Highest I ever got was 1.2mbps while I was on the phone with customer service because I had only achieved consistent 0.8mbps speeds and was pissed.

The Indian guy on the phone got very excited and said "well there you go!" I laughed and said transfer me to the cancellation dept.

No experience with roadrunner. I'm assuming Fi Ops isnt available in your area?

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1326418247' post='1089128']
cinbell fiber is great, otherwise its shit..

cinbel fiber > zoomtown > cinbell reg DSL

plus with your gaming, cinbel upload speed is shit on regular.. great on fiber...

basic cinbell gaming would blow for who you are playing..
[/quote]

I have Time Warner and not sure what kind of internet I have but I need to get some fiber net for sure.

Gaming won't be a problem with any of them. The packets sent and received aren't big enough to matter. If your Roadrunner doesn't choke out your online gaming with it's tiny upload rates, neither will Zoomtown. It's everything else that gets to be a pain. Netflix, Hulu, streaming of any sort, game updates, etc... I've done the switches, and eventually I've always realized any money saved with a slower connection isn't worth the money saved to me.

I'd stick with the faster connection, but you can game with either just fine.

Until they roll out Fioptics in your area, I think Time Warner is your only bet... Maybe you can complain a bit to Time Warner. In Clifton, I was in the 14-16 mbps range. Maybe they're holding out on you a little.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1326505142' post='1089478']
Until they roll out Fioptics in your area, I think Time Warner is your only bet... Maybe you can complain a bit to Time Warner. In Clifton, I was in the 14-16 mbps range. Maybe they're holding out on you a little.
[/quote]

Good call. My dad works for bell, I asked him if there was a time table for fiber optics in my area. He couldn't find an answer

My cousin who lives in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee in one of the poorest counties in the state, and one of the ruralist counties in the state, is having fiber optics ran to his house at the end of a dead end gravel road (along with everyone else in the area).

Blows my mind.

13.1 mbps download and .97 mbps upload is what I get with Road Runner, on the 15mb plan

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1326549020' post='1089534']
There's no way I would ever go back to a DSL connection after having cable internet. Where I live out in SE Indiana I have Comcast, and right now I am getting about 25 up and 5-6 down. Its pretty fast for American internet.
[/quote]

i think you have the up and down reversed there...

Archived