DD-wrt

I actually have a [color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif][size=2][left]D-Link DIR-615. [/left][/size][/font][/color][left]The asus was a router I picked up for my dad.[/left][left]The stuff I use, I could probably do on most routers without dd-wrt. Static leases, mac filtering, port forwarding, etc.. [/left][left]The big thing I have noticed is that I have zero problems now. With the stock firmware I would get random disconnects.[/left][left]There are a lot of QOS features you can enable. You can configure it to be able ssh/telnet into the router. Configure static routes, cron jobs. More security/logging options. Tunneling/vpn.[/left]

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1327070166' post='1090795']
I actually have a[left]D-Link DIR-615. [/left][left]The asus was a router I picked up for my dad.[/left][left]The stuff I use, I could probably do on most routers without dd-wrt. Static leases, mac filtering, port forwarding, etc..[/left][left]The big thing I have noticed is that I have zero problems now. With the stock firmware I would get random disconnects.[/left][left]There are a lot of QOS features you can enable. You can configure it to be able ssh/telnet into the router. Configure static routes, cron jobs. More security/logging options. Tunneling/vpn.

[/quote]
Awesome!

Thank you very much. I have a router coming today and it is probably the first thing I'm going to do.[/left]

There is another firmware called "Tomato" I have heard good things about, just never used. It does not work with my hardware.
[url="http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato"]http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato[/url]

[quote name='Montana Bengal' timestamp='1327077847' post='1090824']
Awesome!

Thank you very much. I have a router coming today and it is probably the first thing I'm going to do.[/left]
[/quote]

I installed DD-wrt immediately and things seem to be working well. It turns out with my router there are basically 5 known issues. I have trouble with 1. At random times the router disappears. I have a script set up and that seems to have taken care of the major issue.

Now I'm just waiting for the update to our DSL (actually any day now). The biggest issue is my wife checks out Pinterest and it is a bandwidth hog when you have a slow DSL connection.

Archived