Too slow for Xbox Live?

JC

We just switched over to Frontier from TWC and now the computer I'm on is getting a ping of 55 ms, download of 2.59 mbps and upload of .72 mbps.

I've tried to get online and I can initially get on and then I'm kicked off or out of a game within about 3 minutes. Is this connection too slow to play xbox live at all? They said that this was comparable to what we were getting with TWC, which I'm sure was a complete lie. I'm just wondering if I should give up hopes of playing live altogether?

PS- We are supposed to be getting 3358 kbps/863 kbps.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1327001697' post='1090612']
Why switch from Time Warner?

TW is the best EVER.
[/quote]
Wish it were my choice. We might still go back to it. Were doing a 30 day trial. This Frontier isn't bad internet speed wise, I get online and I don't lag, but I get disconnected frequently and I think it's because I'm losing packets.

[quote name='CTA513' timestamp='1327021978' post='1090701']
I don't know if you'll have to do this or not, but when I switched to Cincinnati Bell Fioptics I had to go into my router dashboard(?) and enable online game play for my xbox.
[/quote]
I don't have a problem getting onto live, and I don't lag either until I completely lose connection. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with lost packets? When I do the test, I lose 1%, anyone know if that may be the cause?

[quote name='whodey24k' timestamp='1327028532' post='1090727']
I was considering droping time warner as well. The best speed bell could offer was half the speed I'm getting with time warner
[/quote]
I know we told them we were cancelling and they ultimately gave us a price of about 72.49 or something a month.

We may go back, but it depends on installation costs. I miss my online gaming..

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1327029742' post='1090731']
Do you have the same router as before?

I had a similiar problem when I bought a new Asus router. DD-WRT fixed the issue.
[/quote]
Nope we switched routers.

I thought about trying to somehow put in our old linksys. What would DD-WRT do? I'm not familiar with that.

NVM, quick google found out that Westell 7500 isn't compatible at the moment.

But no one think that the 50-70 ping, 1-3 download, and the .6-.75 upload is the problem?

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1327031037' post='1090737']
Nope we switched routers.

I thought about trying to somehow put in our old linksys. What would DD-WRT do? I'm not familiar with that.

NVM, quick google found out that Westell 7500 isn't compatible at the moment.

But no one think that the 50-70 ping, 1-3 download, and the .6-.75 upload is the problem?
[/quote]

I have Westell model 7501
Can't say if it will work for you, but try putting http://192.168.200.1 in your browser and see if the Westell dashboard shows up.
If it does it might have a quick links section in the lower left with a link that says enable online game play
Thats the link I used and was able to select Xbox Live from the service name list and then clicked enable.

If that doesn't work then you might have to call up Frontier ask them about it.

Archived