*EDIT* OT: Joe Paterno has passed away

Bengals1181

[quote name='T.O.C.H.O SHOW' timestamp='1327256288' post='1091184']i heard brent musberger describe Joes lack of reporting pedolphilia as a "lack of judgement". Yea just conveniently not reporting this for 9 years was just lack of judgement. NO he was an enabler, his life should not be celebrated. I dont want to hear anymore about the positive impact he had on PSU and its players. Lets not forget the negative impact he had on so many families and friends b/c he enabled a child molester in his locker room. AND PLEASE stop calling him a man of integrity, hes not. He did not die of a broken heart, hes fucking 85 and had cancer.[/quote]

He actually did report it and the higher ups swept it under the rug. The legal authorities in College Park are the campus police as College Park is an unincorporated village and Joe did report this to them. He could have certainly made a stink about it when his superiors apparentley did not bother to follow up but Joe was in no way complicit nor did he enable Sandusky. I live just outside of Happy Valley and it is well known around here that Joe has not been the head of PSU football for the last 10 years or so. He was an insulated and out of touch old man that was still wildly popular with the students and communities around state college.

If you want to condemn someone condemn the animal that actually committed the crimes not an old man that was frankly too out of touch for the job title he held.

[quote name='Ron~Popeil' timestamp='1327262337' post='1091209']

He actually did report it and the higher ups swept it under the rug. The legal authorities in College Park are the campus police as College Park is an unincorporated village and Joe did report this to them. He could have certainly made a stink about it when his superiors apparentley did not bother to follow up but Joe was in no way complicit nor did he enable Sandusky. I live just outside of Happy Valley and it is well known around here that Joe has not been the head of PSU football for the last 10 years or so. He was an insulated and out of touch old man that was still wildly popular with the students and communities around state college.

If you want to condemn someone condemn the animal that actually committed the crimes not an old man that was frankly too out of touch for the job title he held.
[/quote]

So who designed the game plan and what did Paterno actually do? Real question.

After seeing so many RIP posts on Facebook, I find it interesting that so many people are sad about Joe Paterno dying. On the surface, it seems like he was a great man, leader of men, and a good community member. Below the surface, he knowingly enabled a child molester to commit rape on little boys for years and years while doing nothing to stop it. You don't pick and choose when you are a good man. You either are, or you aren't. His acts, or lack of action, speak more to his character than 60 years of being a coach ever will.

He actually did report it and the higher ups swept it under the rug. The legal authorities in College Park are the campus police as College Park is an unincorporated village and Joe did report this to them. [color=#ff0000][b]He could have certainly made a stink about it when his superiors apparentley did not bother to follow up[/b][/color] but Joe was in no way complicit nor did he enable Sandusky. I live just outside of Happy Valley and it is well known around here that Joe has not been the head of PSU football for the last 10 years or so. He was an insulated and out of touch old man that was still wildly popular with the students and communities around state college.

[/quote]

I think most folks would argue that the very reason that made JoePa complicit and helped enable Sandusky was he should have made stink about it and did not. He just used the "I told my boss" excuse and walked away.

[/quote]

He didn't report it to campus police. Nor did he report it to the people who ran it. He reported it to those who assigned funding for the department. If one of my employees told me that someone was raped at my work and I knew about it police would not be satisfied with me telling them I told my supervisor and then sat back satisfied that nothing happened. I'd call the fucking police myeslf and I sure as hell wouldn't wait 24 hours and then just set up a meeting with some department heads. What a load of crap. Paterno was doing what he's always done: Protecting the university and football program.

[/quote]

keep drinking the PSU koolaid. paterno was a child rape enabler. he may have reported it to an AD but when they did nothing he accepted child rape on his campus for a decade. He accepts child rape as an okay act of society and i feel no mercy on his soul.

[quote name='T.O.C.H.O SHOW' timestamp='1327285082' post='1091392'] keep drinking the PSU koolaid. paterno was a child rape enabler. he may have reported it to an AD but when they did nothing he accepted child rape on his campus for a decade. He accepts child rape as an okay act of society and i feel no mercy on his soul.[/quote]

I do not drink PSU kool aide. I am in fact an Ohio State fan.

That aside I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree.

[url="http://topics.pennlive.com/tag/westboro%20baptist%20church/index.html"]Westboro Baptist Church[/url] said today it will picket legendary Penn State football coach Joe Paterno's funeral. Margie Phelps sent a tweet shortly after [url="http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/01/joe_paterno_dies_penn_state.html"]Paterno's death was announced[/url] saying "WBC will picket his funeral."

Westboro Baptist Church, based in Topeka, Kansas, has also recently [url="http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/westboro_baptist_church_plans_2.html"]threatened to picket outside Beaver Stadium[/url] for the Penn State-Nebraska game, which was the first played after former Penn State assistant coach [url="http://www.pennlive.com/jerry-sandusky/"]Jerry Sandusky was charged with more than 40 counts of sex crimes against minors[/url].

[url="http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/03/westboro_baptist_church_plans_1.html"]Westboro also threatened to picket the funeral of seven Perry County children who died in a tragic fire[/url] in March.

Members of Westboro Baptist Church [url="http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/03/who_is_westboro_baptist_church.html"]blame Americans' sins for anything bad that happens[/url], such as children's deaths in fires or military personnel killed in wars. Their protests have deeply offended people everywhere they have gone. However, the group recently won a U.S. Supreme Court case, in which the court ruled that WBC has the right to protest funerals under the First Amendment.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/01/westboro_baptist_church_says_i.html

I call this the curse of Eddie Robinson, after Joe Pa broke his record he lost his job and life within 4 months. Joe Pa knowingly enabled a child molestor to roam free on HIS campus and have access to HIS facilities so he could break Eddie Robinson record of all time wins as a coach, imo. Why do I emphazie HIS, because everyone knows that Joe Pa ran State College, PA and the fact that he knew of Sandusky's behavior and make sure that the right thing was done shows more about his character than anything he did on the football field, because there are somethings that are more important than football and the safety of the children is one of them.

If Joe Pa was a mere figure head for the past decade and didn't really understand what was going on then that's even more of a reason why he is a fraud because he broke a record without actually doing what he was supposed to be doing. Imo, Joe Pa quest for the all time wins record is what drove him to turn a blind eye to the molestation that was occuring on hhis campus, in HIS team's showers. His desire for being the winningest D1 football coach ever caused him betray the values and morals by which he lead everyone to believe he lived his life and unfortunately many people who didn't witness the PSU football from the 60's & 70's for which Joe Pa is most famous will remember him for how he handled the Sandusky situation.

At the end of the day he lead a full life and accomplished many things, he was a man who had flaws just like me and you, Rest in Peace Joe Paterno.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1327250646' post='1091159']
This just proves that stress at old age but any age can kill you. I no longer give a shit about anything. I quit letting things stress me out. Nothing is worth it. The easiest thing that can stress you out are women. FUCK EM. Non of them will do that to me again. DO NOT GET MARRIED FELLAS. Stay single and you'll live forever.
[/quote]

If you get married, it can seem like forever.

[/quote]
That would be all well and good but JoPa continued to give Sandusky access to the facilities (just couldn't bring his victims on campus) up until the story broke. JoPa also knew Sandusky was still activily involved with the 2nd Mile organization which was a source of his victims. That would be akin to knowing your neighbor raped a young boy in the neighborhood, got away with it and you didn't warn your fellow neighbors. My father is the same age JoPa was when the incident took place. No way he just "lets it go"

I do agree that JoPa should have been forced into retirement LONG ago. The reason he wasn't was a simple case of donations aka money. I seriously doubt most much younger Div 1 coaches would have swept it under the rug or done nothing to warn the 2nd Mile charity which was a great charity for young children and will now be shut down most likely.

Just because the higher ups swept it under the rug doesn't mean a real leader should just say "oh well, I did my part" particularly given the circumstances. Pedophiles are the scum of the earth and should be treated as such.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1327382249' post='1091665']

watch them come out of it with a slap on the wrist from the ncaa.
[/quote]
I doubt the NCAA does anything. PSU didn't violate any NCAA rules so I doubt they get hit with much if anything at all. Sandusky wasn't a coach at the time and no players were involved. JoPa is dead and the new coach will probably clean house. Nobody on the staff committed an NCAA infraction from what I can tell.

[b][size=6] Kilmer remembers Paterno[/size][/b]

By GEOFF HOBSON

Posted 7 hours ago

Sunday was a very tough day for Ethan Kilmer.

Call this one Joe Pa and The Walk-on.

It was Joe Paterno who called Kilmer into his office at Penn State that day before his senior season.

It was Paterno who urged him not to give up on football, to give it another chance. He could run. He had talent, the coach told him.

So, in the end, it was Paterno that was the reason a walk-on named Ethan Kilmer from tiny Wyalusing, Pa. (population 600) got drafted by the Bengals in the seventh round of the 2006 NFL Draft.

Yes. Sunday was a tough day

“A lot of thoughts. A lot of thoughts,” Kilmer said late Sunday night, the day Paterno died. “I know so much has gone on the last couple of months, but when you think back on what he meant to the school and the people that went there, it’s a very sad day. He certainly meant a lot to me.”

Kilmer has been retired going on four years now and is expanding his family’s insurance business from Wyalusing to the state capital in Harrisburg.

He was never able to overcome some serious leg injuries after such a promising rookie year. Remember? A former track star who found football late and a position even later when the Bengals moved him from wide receiver to safety when he arrived?

On his fourth snap in his life as a defensive player he picked off Saints quarterback Drew Brees in the Superdome for a 52-yard touchdown return. His 16 special teams tackles were second on the team.

Never would have happened, probably, without Joe Pa.

“I was struggling with my identity as a football player,” said Kilmer, who walked on to Penn State from his track scholarship at Shippensburg. “I didn’t really have a position and I just didn’t feel like I was making a lot of progress. It was just before my senior year and I was thinking, ‘Maybe this is it. Maybe it’s time to move on to something else.’”

As Kilmer remembers it, Paterno wanted to talk to him, not the other way around. And Kilmer found him not only engaged, but encouraging as Paterno talked him back into football.

Kilmer chuckles a bit now because that’s when the then 80-year-old icon was supposed to be growing more distant from the program.

“He was sharp,” Kilmer said. “I wish I could be that sharp now.

“I was a nobody,” he said of his status as a little-used receiver. “But he met with me and told me I had talent and that I could be something special if I stayed with it.”

Which is why Sunday was very tough for Ethan Kilmer.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Kilmer-remembers-Paterno/b5fd416e-f2da-43cb-9bd7-070c1e0059a4

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1327382249' post='1091665']

watch them come out of it with a slap on the wrist from the ncaa.
[/quote]

I suppose they could get a "failure to monitor" charge, but sadly the way the rules are set up I don't know that the NCAA has much jurisdiction to do anything in this situation.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1327409521' post='1091683']

I suppose they could get a "failure to monitor" charge, but sadly the way the rules are set up I don't know that the NCAA has much jurisdiction to do anything in this situation.
[/quote]
Isn't failure to monitor really bad?

What happened at PSU is so horrible, I really don't know what to expect.

Anyway, does anyone know how their recruiting has been since the recent events came to light? Anyone decommit (sp.)?

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1327417185' post='1091729']
Isn't failure to monitor really bad?

What happened at PSU is so horrible, I really don't know what to expect.

Anyway, does anyone know how their recruiting has been since the recent events came to light? Anyone decommit (sp.)?
[/quote]

The've lost a number of recruits. I know OSU has picked up two alone.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1327407944' post='1091675']
[b][size=6]Kilmer remembers Paterno[/size][/b]

By GEOFF HOBSON

Posted 7 hours ago

Sunday was a very tough day for Ethan Kilmer.

Call this one Joe Pa and The Walk-on.

It was Joe Paterno who called Kilmer into his office at Penn State that day before his senior season.

It was Paterno who urged him not to give up on football, to give it another chance. He could run. He had talent, the coach told him.

So, in the end, it was Paterno that was the reason a walk-on named Ethan Kilmer from tiny Wyalusing, Pa. (population 600) got drafted by the Bengals in the seventh round of the 2006 NFL Draft.

Yes. Sunday was a tough day

“A lot of thoughts. A lot of thoughts,” Kilmer said late Sunday night, the day Paterno died. “I know so much has gone on the last couple of months, but when you think back on what he meant to the school and the people that went there, it’s a very sad day. He certainly meant a lot to me.”

Kilmer has been retired going on four years now and is expanding his family’s insurance business from Wyalusing to the state capital in Harrisburg.

He was never able to overcome some serious leg injuries after such a promising rookie year. Remember? A former track star who found football late and a position even later when the Bengals moved him from wide receiver to safety when he arrived?

On his fourth snap in his life as a defensive player he picked off Saints quarterback Drew Brees in the Superdome for a 52-yard touchdown return. His 16 special teams tackles were second on the team.

Never would have happened, probably, without Joe Pa.

“I was struggling with my identity as a football player,” said Kilmer, who walked on to Penn State from his track scholarship at Shippensburg. “I didn’t really have a position and I just didn’t feel like I was making a lot of progress. It was just before my senior year and I was thinking, ‘Maybe this is it. Maybe it’s time to move on to something else.’”

As Kilmer remembers it, Paterno wanted to talk to him, not the other way around. And Kilmer found him not only engaged, but encouraging as Paterno talked him back into football.

Kilmer chuckles a bit now because that’s when the then 80-year-old icon was supposed to be growing more distant from the program.

“He was sharp,” Kilmer said. “I wish I could be that sharp now.

“I was a nobody,” he said of his status as a little-used receiver. “But he met with me and told me I had talent and that I could be something special if I stayed with it.”

Which is why Sunday was very tough for Ethan Kilmer.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Kilmer-remembers-Paterno/b5fd416e-f2da-43cb-9bd7-070c1e0059a4"]http://www.bengals.c...d7-070c1e0059a4[/url]
[/quote]

But who remembers Kilmer?

It's funny how deep knob job dug just to get a Paterno connection to the Bengals. Lord knows you have to have a Paterno story on the web site. Even if it is about a player that played briefly here 3 or 4 years ago.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1327409521' post='1091683']

[/quote]
Failure to monitor has to do with monitoring players and coaches. Sandusky was neither at the time of the incident being discussed. Don't get me wrong, the whole thing disgusts me but I doubt the NCAA has rules regarding the reporting on someone who is not involved with the football program to authorities for a crime. The fact that it happened in the locker room is the only thing that might be looked at but still, didn't involve current players or coaches.

If the NCAA or someone can prove they had info on Sandusky BEFORE he left coaching that would be an entirely different matter.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1327420909' post='1091736']
Failure to monitor has to do with monitoring players and coaches. [b]Sandusky was neither at the time of the incident being discussed. [/b]Don't get me wrong, the whole thing disgusts me but I doubt the NCAA has rules regarding the reporting on someone who is not involved with the football program to authorities for a crime. The fact that it happened in the locker room is the only thing that might be looked at but still, didn't involve current players or coaches.

If the NCAA or someone can prove they had info on Sandusky BEFORE he left coaching that would be an entirely different matter.
[/quote]

the 2002 incident, no. But there was one in 1998 that led to his removal.

Archived