Tablets

Looking to get some advice and feedback from some more tech saavy people than myself.

I'm looking to get a tablet device but don't want to shell out for an ipad or ipad2. I know they're top of the line quality, but also top of the line price.

Mainly just looking for something with a dependable wi-fi connection, decent internet, and can do angry birds and youtube (well) for the kids. Also something I can access my streaming netflix on throughout the house (hence dependable wi-fi).

Here are some of the ones I've looked at but would like some more feedback:

I like this one but am questionable about the site. Not sure if its actually affiliated with Google, nor am I certain that Google is even in the tablet business (I've heard that they're working on one, but searching google epad doesn't confirm that this is a google product). [url="http://www.epadgoogle.com/VIA-WM8650-7inch-Android-Tablet.html"]http://www.epadgoogle.com/VIA-WM8650-7inch-Android-Tablet.html[/url]

Also looked at this one that I've seen with good reviews, but its shipping from overseas. [url="http://www.pandawill.com/eken-m009s-tablet-pc-7-inch-android-22-via-8650-flash-101-720p-camera-black-new-ui-p41961.html"]http://www.pandawill.com/eken-m009s-tablet-pc-7-inch-android-22-via-8650-flash-101-720p-camera-black-new-ui-p41961.html[/url]

This is the one that I originally found and tried to check out but don't think I trust the seller. The title is misleading and he doesn't do returns. It also looks like he's not including all the accessories (and probably selling them separately).
[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320823032026&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_6416wt_936"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320823032026&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_6416wt_936[/url]

Any feedback or alternate options appreciated!

I think you're going to get what you pay for with those, and by that I mean a miserable experience you'll regret. I'd at least shell out $200 for a Kindle Fire... Mostly, I'm recommending people wait until the iPad 3 comes out in the next few weeks or so. The rumors I have been reading suggest the iPad 3 will move into the normal price ranges ($499 and up), but that the iPad 2 may stick around at $299 and up.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1328124471' post='1093506']
I think you're going to get what you pay for with those, and by that I mean a miserable experience you'll regret. I'd at least shell out $200 for a Kindle Fire... [b]Mostly, I'm recommending people wait[/b] until the iPad 3 comes out in the next few weeks or so. The rumors I have been reading suggest the iPad 3 will move into the normal price ranges ($499 and up), but that the iPad 2 may stick around at $299 and up.
[/quote]

recommending as in your job?

Haha. No. I'm a graphic designer... I'm just the resident techno-nerd of my family, friends, and friends of friends. They all ask me for that advice. I get asked about iPads and tablets a lot, particularly since everyone now has friends who got them for Christmas... When new products are imminent, it makes sense to wait til they drop for the previous generation to go cheap. :)

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1328127551' post='1093520']
Haha. No. I'm a graphic designer... I'm just the resident techno-nerd of my family, friends, and friends of friends. They all ask me for that advice. I get asked about iPads and tablets a lot, particularly since everyone now has friends who got them for Christmas... When new products are imminent, it makes sense to wait til they drop for the previous generation to go cheap. :)
[/quote]

yea I've kept looking for a cheap ipad now that ipad2 is out, and the price hasn't really dropped much, at least not enough for my liking. :)

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' timestamp='1328137154' post='1093541']
Based on what you said you want to use it for, go with the Kindle Fire. I have one and love it. Netflix runs and looks great, I've not had any problems with network connections moving between school and home.
[/quote]

I've heard very good things about it.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1328141484' post='1093548']

I've thought about getting a Fire, I just worry that the screen is too small. I haven't seen one in person, so maybe that's offbase. But I just don't see a 7" screen being big enough for me.
[/quote]

That's what she said.

mongos advice is sound. the 3 should be out within 6-8 weeks tops it seems.

i have an ipad 2 now. its great, the battery life is great, netflix is great.

my sister had the fire and returned it and got the ipad due to size and apps, etc... the fire was cool, but its an ereader that does tablet stuff too, vs tablet that does ereader stuff too...

the ipad three is rumors to have the retina display... i will be selling my ipad2 and using my friends apple discount for an ipad 3...

i am iWhoring to the max currently...

Unless a tablet is major need right away, I would hold out and save up some money and get an iPad . I have had an iPad 2 for about 6 months now and love it. You really can't go wrong with an iPad. If a tablet is a major need right away, I would go with the Kindle Fire. I know a few people that have the Fire and they seem to be happy with it.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1328160423' post='1093594']
[b]Unless a tablet is major need right away, I would hold out[/b] and save up some money and get an iPad . I have had an iPad 2 for about 6 months now and love it. You really can't go wrong with an iPad. If a tablet is a major need right away, I would go with the Kindle Fire. I know a few people that have the Fire and they seem to be happy with it.
[/quote]

yea that's what basically has me holding off. It'd be a luxury at this point, not a need.

If you just can't wait for the iPad 3 to come out or just can't justify spending\don't want to give the money to Apple, then Kindle Fire is the best alternative out there.

If you can wait and can save, as well as convince your small child that corn starch and water is really formula, go for the iPad.

I know which one I would get...

{picks up box of corn starch}

[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1328291685' post='1093856']
Kindle Fire ... Amazon App Store gives away a free paid app every day. Often they suck, but there are some good apps they give away too. If you don't wanna get nickled and dimed to death, then go with the Fire.
[/quote]

X2

Plus it really easy to checkout books from the library and read them on the Kindle. With the library and free books Amazon has I've not paid for a book yet.

I bought one for my daugther from radio shack for Christmas for $289 I think it's called a CRUZ and it's the 10.1" Adroid tablet by Amazon. Very nice, does all that you need it to do as far as Netflix, angry birsds, skype and a bunch of other stuff. After using it I wanted one for my self so I went and bought the Ipad 2 and the difference is day and night. Wow, it is my first apple product and won't be the last. Once my laptop dies I will get a Macbook Pro and when the Iphone 5 comes out I might be sold on it over droids. But for now the droid does everthing I need it to do and more.

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' timestamp='1328307261' post='1093921']

X2

[b]Plus it really easy to checkout books from the library and read them on the Kindle.[/b] With the library and free books Amazon has I've not paid for a book yet.
[/quote]

thanks for putting that in my head. Found some good e-books for free on the library's website to put on our nook.

you can of course do the books thing on the ipad too, it loads books just fine, pdf format, nook format since it has the nook app anything you have in your nook account you can read on the ipad.

most apps that are free on android are free on iProducts, and most that cost, cost on both.

and the app store often gives both, a free and paid version, one with and one without ads.

i hated that words with friends on my android had a dumbass ad after every word played, 99 cents well spent to not have to see any ads on my ipod touch way back then... they offer both currently...

the only downsides to an ipad would potentially be cost if there is a cost difference, or like some here having some strange hate for apple products..

My Ipad2 is currently gathering dust. Have to say my new ASUS Transformer Prime beats it in every category but number of Apps. Imagine being able to actually read your tablet in Sunlight. What a concept.... Anyway, the IPad2 is way overpriced for what its competitors now offer in their products even with the argument of the almighty iOS as the justification for the price difference.

Archived