Tablets

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1328576752' post='1094440']

500?

Are you a Rothlessburger fan or something? I mean you seem to like rape...[/quote]

When I paid 699 for it (3g, 32 Gb) and IPad2 still retails for that price, 500 is a good deal. U can't even get them for that price on any auction site or refurbished.. Anyway, my girlfriend probably will get it for VD.

[quote name='ValleyBengal' timestamp='1328674153' post='1094663']
When I paid 699 for it (3g, 32 Gb) and IPad2 still retails for that price, 500 is a good deal. U can't even get them for that price on any auction site or refurbished.. Anyway, my girlfriend probably will get it for VD.
[/quote]

Well now see you didnt say all that...

[quote name='ValleyBengal' timestamp='1328674153' post='1094663']
[/quote]

So your girlfriend gives you a VD and you give her the iPad? You're a masochist aren't you?

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1330967532' post='1102275']
looks like they may release an 8gb ipad 2 when they launch the 3, it would be $379-399...

in about two weeks..
[/quote]

That would probably be the smart decision for me, from a financial standpoint. And yet, I just don't think I can turn down that new retina display. That thing is going to be pretty. I'm really excited to play some of my abandoned iPhone games on it. Final Fantasy, Swords & Sorcery, Infinity Blade, NFL Football, Sim City, and Plants vs Zombies are going to be freaking awesome on that retina display...assuming all the developers patch their games to fully utilize it, of course.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1331008575' post='1102549']

That would probably be the smart decision for me, from a financial standpoint. And yet, I just don't think I can turn down that new retina display. That thing is going to be pretty. I'm really excited to play some of my abandoned iPhone games on it. Final Fantasy, Swords & Sorcery, Infinity Blade, NFL Football, Sim City, and Plants vs Zombies are going to be freaking awesome on that retina display...assuming all the developers patch their games to fully utilize it, of course.
[/quote]

yea, i figure itll take a few months before many games are geared for such a high resolution, its double the current resolution... files will be bigger... perhaps i can afford a 32gb.....but probably not... better camera means bigger files too... crap...

[quote name='ValleyBengal' timestamp='1331051922' post='1102659']
I just wish Apple would just allow a MicroSD card slot in their units. This fixed memory strategy of theirs is my main reason for not going with them.
[/quote]

no real benefits for side loadable memory for my needs.... what is your reasoning?

a 32 GB card would cost me $30-40+ anyway.. so paying $75-100 for it isnt that serious...

and its for stupid people protection, as most apple policies are. if everything needs to be loaded via itunes, then itunes can weed out stuff that shouldnt be on there in the first place..

i only had my ipad 2 for 2-ish months but i never ever felt the need to sideload anything.

google does the same thing with its nexus phones.

its likely the way EVERYTHING is headed with cloud like services being so popular and growing..

eventually everything will be stored on the web and live streamed...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1331057578' post='1102715']

no real benefits for side loadable memory for my needs.... what is your reasoning?

a 32 GB card would cost me $30-40+ anyway.. so paying $75-100 for it isnt that serious...

and its for stupid people protection, as most apple policies are. if everything needs to be loaded via itunes, then itunes can weed out stuff that shouldnt be on there in the first place..

i only had my ipad 2 for 2-ish months but i never ever felt the need to sideload anything.

google does the same thing with its nexus phones.

its likely the way EVERYTHING is headed with cloud like services being so popular and growing..

eventually everything will be stored on the web and live streamed...
[/quote]

Eventually, that may all be true, but not soon. This country doesn't have the technological infrastructure to allow true instance streaming. Also, the cloud requires you to have an outside connection to access it. When you don't have that connection (which, for someone like me who is opting for the Wifi-only version and will be taking it traveling to remote locations, is still quite often), you need to store all your music and video locally, which requires a bunch of space. I don't feel like we're quite at that point where we can just assume every device has an internet connection 100% of the time. And I don't think we're as close to getting to that point as some think.

Now, am I demanding the iPad have the SD slot? Not really. I'll make due without it. I haven't had a problem with space on my iPhone, aside from deleting some huge apps I never used anymore (I'm looking at you, Myst). And if I have to, I'll juggle some of my bigger apps to have only have the ones I plan on using present. And I'll refrain from putting my entire music library on there as well, restricting myself to my absolute favorite stuff (and using Spotify when a connection is available). It'd be nice if I didn't have to do that, but syncing media on Apple devices is so easy that I don't consider that to be a burden at all.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1331061776' post='1102751']

Eventually, that may all be true, but not soon. This country doesn't have the technological infrastructure to allow true instance streaming. Also, the cloud requires you to have an outside connection to access it. When you don't have that connection (which, for someone like me who is opting for the Wifi-only version and will be taking it traveling to remote locations, is still quite often), you need to store all your music and video locally, which requires a bunch of space. I don't feel like we're quite at that point where we can just assume every device has an internet connection 100% of the time. And I don't think we're as close to getting to that point as some think.

Now, am I demanding the iPad have the SD slot? Not really. I'll make due without it. I haven't had a problem with space on my iPhone, aside from deleting some huge apps I never used anymore (I'm looking at you, Myst). And if I have to, I'll juggle some of my bigger apps to have only have the ones I plan on using present. And I'll refrain from putting my entire music library on there as well, restricting myself to my absolute favorite stuff (and using Spotify when a connection is available). It'd be nice if I didn't have to do that, but syncing media on Apple devices is so easy that I don't consider that to be a burden at all.
[/quote]

I see your points, it really just comes down to preference, i dont want music anywhere near my phone, i have my ipod 64gb for that, which is nearing full but i can delete stuff easily if needed.. i dont want anything on my phone except pictures i take, etc.. i have idrive setup and the cloud, so everything is backed up. so even if i wipe my phone, i will have access to that stuff...

i think we are closer to the 24/7 internet connection than one might think, i have a Novatel Mifi 4g in my car, its cheap being an employee and i have no need at work or at home, so i virtually have wifi everywhere i go. and 100% where i may need to stream anything, im not gonna need to stream anything walking in the park or in the rocky mountains, etc..

between dropbox, idrive, the cloud, and gmail, access to stuff is pretty easy.. and removeable memory is only SLIGHTLY more useful than built in memory..

im beefing up my new ipad to 32gb just due to media size on the newer high res screen...

i broke my last 16gb micro card, so ironically for me, the only time i have ever lost anything is WITH having external memory... the wireless backup/cloud services are great and super convenient..

idrive gives you 150GB for $4.95/mo backs up photo video and contacts from iDevices... and multiple devices can use the same account... its great, honestly..

the market is absolutely turning AWAY from removeable media... but you are right, it will be a slow process...most are just giving BOTH, 16-32GB internal plus a micro slot...

everyone has different needs though...

If you're a frequent traveller like me, using cloud storage is only appealing if you can count on a good and fast connection everywhere you go. And on a plane, even with Boingo or in air WIFI, its hit or miss. Couple that with data rate costs and caps for 3G/4G and in air wifi, you can probably see why I like the open platform more.

I found also that the memory transfer via Itunes is extremely slow and like someone above said, got tired of removing and adding larger size apps or items. Not being tied to Itunes and having the ability to carry a large library of my digital downloads (tunes and movies) and having flexibility is at the moment a huge time saver. But I can also see the appeal of the IPad with its fully integrated solutions. I guess it always comes down to what you prefer. For me, my Transformer Prime is currently what I prefer.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1328929173' post='1095319']

she better, outside of her engagement ring, I don't think I've ever come close to giving my wife something worth $500 as a gift.
[/quote]

Man you gotta step your game up with your wife lol
Bring her to the Melting Pot and I'll hook you up with a discount.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1331337522' post='1104043']

Man you gotta step your game up with your wife lol
Bring her to the Melting Pot and I'll hook you up with a discount.
[/quote]

sorry, her birthday's coming up and her favorite restaurant is Mongolian Barbecue. :P

[quote name='ValleyBengal' timestamp='1331266294' post='1103754']
If you're a frequent traveller like me, using cloud storage is only appealing if you can count on a good and fast connection everywhere you go. And on a plane, even with Boingo or in air WIFI, its hit or miss. Couple that with data rate costs and caps for 3G/4G and in air wifi, you can probably see why I like the open platform more.

I found also that the memory transfer via Itunes is extremely slow and like someone above said, got tired of removing and adding larger size apps or items. Not being tied to Itunes and having the ability to carry a large library of my digital downloads (tunes and movies) and having flexibility is at the moment a huge time saver. But I can also see the appeal of the IPad with its fully integrated solutions. I guess it always comes down to what you prefer. For me, my Transformer Prime is currently what I prefer.
[/quote]

yea, i only fly 3-5 times a year, so i just load what im going to need ahead of time. and my datacard doesnt have a cap of any kind. if i had to add/remove things often i could see a hassle there for sure..

Archived