Ken Riley and Anderson don't get sniff

But two more Stealers get in the HoF!?!?

I can understand Dawson to some degree, but I saw at least 2 others I think were more deserving.

But Jack Butler!?!? Come the fuck on people. I didn't pay too much into this Pittsburg' dick in the mouth of the NFL hierarchy, but now I think there might be something to it.

They are trying to tell me that the decades of lousy pre-Curtain Steelers had a guy that was so far ahead of anyone else, that he's more deserving? He'll LeBeau had to make it in because of his Stealer coaching career rather than his superior playing career.

This is one stupid,sorry joke of selection process.

Upon further review.....

This must be why Bettie didn't get in this time...they knew he was a slam dunk (and definitely deserving IMO) for induction sometime in the near future, but it would have been too obvious to put in 3 Stealers at once. So they put in the two marginal ones, who might not make it if passed over this time.

I don't take issue with Dawson - he was an absolute beast, for a lot of years. He was deserving.

OTOH, how Chris Doleman made it over Charles Haley... wow. Haley had some personal issues, no doubt, but what a talent. And 5 SB rings, and he was an important part of every one. I read somewhere where some of the voters were saying that the bulk of his sacks were in the 4Q when his teams were ahead, but someone analyzed the tape, and only 25% were. He deserved to get in... hell, over Cortez Kennedy, too.

it sounds like Anderson will get in, in due time. The seniors committee is going decade by decade in adding players, as they've apparently always done. Word is they are about done with the 50's. So I imagine in 5-10yrs Kenny will get in.

[quote]"The upside is he could, in theory, come back 10 times, although that doesn't happen," said [i]The Boston Herald[/i]'s Ron Borges, a member of the nine-man committee that picks the two senior finalists.

"The downside is he'll have to wait awhile. We're about done with the guys from the '50s. Although there's no rule about it, we try to do it with some chronology in the theory everyone has had 25 years worth of opportunities in the regular process. If they start jumping the line, then it gets insane."

Lions guard Dick Stanfel and Steelers cornerback Jack Butler, this year's two senior candidates, didn't take a snap after 1959. Anderson, the only man to win back-to-back NFL passing titles in two different decades, rose to prominence during the mid '70s and early '80s.[/quote]

so they aren't even discussing anderson yet, because of how they do it.

Archived