Bill Polian on Sirius NFL Radio

Was listening to NFL radio today, and heard a fun little blurb. Jim Miller and Bill Polian were the hosts of Schein and Gannon's show, and took some calls. The caller wanted to know how tough it was going to be for the Dolphins to transition to a West Coast offense and a new defense. Polian talked about the offense, then brought up Coyle and the defense. He said Coyle comes from the Bengals. He said Marvin studied the 3-4 in Baltimore and Pittsburgh, and has applied those principles to the 4-3 better than anyone. He talked about how we have nice, long DE's that bring a different style than traditional 4-3 DE's... It was cool to hear. Made it sound like we can do a lot of the great things 3-4's do, while still having the 4-3 advantages.

[quote name='cpalmer2004' timestamp='1328817733' post='1094953']
can we hire Bill Polian as GM? Now Please... Just dreaming
[/quote]

why? I think a lot of people in that organization get credit they didn't deserve simply because they had Manning. Manning covered up major holes in that team for years.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1328821656' post='1094960']

why? I think a lot of people in that organization get credit they didn't deserve simply because they had Manning. Manning covered up major holes in that team for years.
[/quote]

I was going to post the same thing, I think Polian is completely overrated as some GM genius. If he was so damn smart why didn't he have a plan B incase Peyton got hurt, if you construct your franchise around one player what happens if that guy gets hurt, turns out you get fired. Why Polian never thought it necessary to have a quality backup at the most important position is mind numbing. Playing qb in the NFL is one of the most dangerous jobs around, those guys are subjected to extreme punishment every game so the chances of injury are extremely high, common sense would say we need to have a guy on the roster and ready to go in case our starter gets hurt. Polian got credit for Manning's genius and got power hungry, which got him fired.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1328813877' post='1094943']
Was listening to NFL radio today, and heard a fun little blurb. Jim Miller and Bill Polian were the hosts of Schein and Gannon's show, and took some calls. The caller wanted to know how tough it was going to be for the Dolphins to transition to a West Coast offense and a new defense. Polian talked about the offense, then brought up Coyle and the defense. He said Coyle comes from the Bengals. He said Marvin studied the 3-4 in Baltimore and Pittsburgh, and has applied those principles to the 4-3 better than anyone. He talked about how we have nice, long DE's that bring a different style than traditional 4-3 DE's... It was cool to hear. Made it sound like we can do a lot of the great things 3-4's do, while still having the 4-3 advantages.
[/quote]

Marvin or Zimmer making the changes and impact with the D? Seems like the D was downright ... mediocre ... before Zim got here.

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1328823030' post='1094969']

Marvin or Zimmer making the changes and impact with the D? Seems like the D was downright ... mediocre ... before Zim got here.
[/quote]

that would depend on who you think actually is responsible for bringing in the "long DE's" that are being addressed here, wouldn't it?

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1328821656' post='1094960']

[/quote]

Polian did it before the Colts.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1328822154' post='1094962']

I was going to post the same thing, I think Polian is completely overrated as some GM genius. If he was so damn smart why didn't he have a plan B incase Peyton got hurt, if you construct your franchise around one player what happens if that guy gets hurt, turns out you get fired. Why Polian never thought it necessary to have a quality backup at the most important position is mind numbing. Playing qb in the NFL is one of the most dangerous jobs around, those guys are subjected to extreme punishment every game so the chances of injury are extremely high, common sense would say we need to have a guy on the roster and ready to go in case our starter gets hurt. Polian got credit for Manning's genius and got power hungry, which got him fired.
[/quote]

Polian was the GM of the Buffalo Bills when they went to 4 straight superbowls.

Got expansion Panthers to NFC champ in second season.

Then of course oversaw the Colts as they won a superbowl and another afc champ.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1328822154' post='1094962'] I was going to post the same thing, I think Polian is completely overrated as some GM genius. If he was so damn smart why didn't he have a plan B incase Peyton got hurt, if you construct your franchise around one player what happens if that guy gets hurt, turns out you get fired. Why Polian never thought it necessary to have a quality backup at the most important position is mind numbing. Playing qb in the NFL is one of the most dangerous jobs around, those guys are subjected to extreme punishment every game so the chances of injury are extremely high, common sense would say we need to have a guy on the roster and ready to go in case our starter gets hurt. Polian got credit for Manning's genius and got power hungry, which got him fired.[/quote]

How many teams actually have quality back up QB's? I know there are a few. But most of them are "has been" or "never will be" kind of players.

[quote name='westside bengal' timestamp='1328834665' post='1094999']

How many teams actually have quality back up QB's? I know there are a few. But most of them are "has been" or "never will be" kind of players.
[/quote]

even leaving that aside, I think Polian had let the team atrophy over the last several years. And of course, the pretending during the offseason about if Manning would come back, and leaving him on the roster when he was obviously not going to play were just silly.

Playing qb in the NFL is one of the most dangerous jobs around
[/quote]

Er.. No, it really isn't. Not saying it's a cakewalk or anything, but "most dangerous"? I mean, how many people died playing NFL QB last year?

Not trying to be a dick, but there are way too many people risking their lives for way less reward to let that one slide.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1328839202' post='1095011']

Er.. No, it really isn't. Not saying it's a cakewalk or anything, but "most dangerous"? I mean, how many people died playing NFL QB last year?

Not trying to be a dick, but there are way too many people risking their lives for way less reward to let that one slide.
[/quote]

The most dangerous job in the NFL used to be on kickoffs, but now that 77% of the time they are touchbacks, it isn't.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1328841561' post='1095016']

The most dangerous job in the NFL used to be on kickoffs, but now that 77% of the time they are touchbacks, it isn't.
[/quote]

Apparently its Head Coach - a couple got injured and about half a dozen got the axe

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1328842577' post='1095022']

Apparently its Head Coach - a couple got injured and about half a dozen got the axe
[/quote]

Touche! Most injuries to coaches were just blown out knees, and the axings weren't fatal. Most injuries from kickoffs resulted in players being paralyzed. Its sad that the NFL had to take away one of the most exciting plays in the game for the safety of the players. Don't get me wrong, I hate to see anyone get injured, but even a lot of the players had a problem with the change.

[/quote]
Eh, most teams are fucked when their starting QB goes down. How would the Bengals season have gone if Grabasskowski had to start for the entire year in say, week 3 if Dalton got injured for the year? Polian's biggest knock in my opinion is that he never really built a semblance of a defense to complement the offense in Indy. They were never a balanced team, which is okay when your starting QB is healthy and you can outscore most opponents...not so much when he's out, as we saw. I do agree that they should have had at least better talent at the backup QB position, but that's kinda hard to do. If your 2nd stringer is really any good, chances are he's going to bolt for a chance to start elsewhere anyway at some point.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1328833809' post='1094998']
Polian was the GM of the Buffalo Bills when they went to 4 straight superbowls.

Got expansion Panthers to NFC champ in second season.

Then of course oversaw the Colts as they won a superbowl and another afc champ.
[/quote]

So he won 1 SuperBowl and a few conference championships in 25 yrs, I still think he's overrated.

Anybody with a little football knowledge could look at the Colts and see they were screwed if Manning ever got hurt because how the team was totally built around him, there worst case scenario comes true and they struggle to win 2 games this season. They let every defensive player who showed promise and was a free agent leave, effectively putting everything on Manning's shoulders to carry the team. Also I understand that most teams don't have great backups but the Colts put absolute bums behind Manning for years and never groomed a successor even though Peyton was showing signs a few years ago that his neck could be a problem.

To me Polian constructed the Colts like an NBA team where you can have one superstar and some role players who compliment that star player. NFL teams have to have quality depth at every position because of the violent nature of the game, you are always one play away from the backup becoming the starter, moreso than other sports in which injuries are not considered apart of the game.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1328839202' post='1095011']

[/quote]

Look at the life span of an NFL player compared to most other people, they live to be about 55-60 yrs old on average due to the dangerous nature of their job and physical toll it takes on their body. QB is by far the most dangerous position to play in the game because you the potential of being blindsided by a 300 lb guy everytime you drop back to pass, the chances of getting injuried in some way are extremely high.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1328843568' post='1095025']
Eh, most teams are fucked when their starting QB goes down. How would the Bengals season have gone if Grabasskowski had to start for the entire year in say, week 3 if Dalton got injured for the year? Polian's biggest knock in my opinion is that he never really built a semblance of a defense to complement the offense in Indy. They were never a balanced team, which is okay when your starting QB is healthy and you can outscore most opponents...not so much when he's out, as we saw. I do agree that they should have had at least better talent at the backup QB position, but that's kinda hard to do. If your 2nd stringer is really any good, chances are he's going to bolt for a chance to start elsewhere anyway at some point.
[/quote]

True but everyone in the organization and all of the fans knew Painter sucked before the season started, he proved that when they let him play in '09 vs. the Jets in that last game of the season. I'm not saying they had to go out and get Drew Brees to back him up but atleast get a guy who can play. They had to have known Peyton was going to get injured at some point, he's had these neck problems for years and he went 208 games without missing a start, common sense would tell you he's due to miss some time sooner or later.

Here's a good article about the history of Manning's neck problems and gives a good clear update on where he currently stands from a health standpoint.

[quote]

There is way too much misinformation on [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2807/peyton-manning"][b][color="#bb0033"]Peyton Manning's[/color][/b][/url] injury.

First of all, a little history.

According to Dungy and Manning, Peyton received his initial neck injury in a game against the [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/washington-redskins"][b][color="#bb0033"]Washington Redskins[/color][/b][/url] on Oct. 22, 2006. Dungy recalled that " Manning's neck was wrenched and his helmet ripped off when he took a hit by [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1523/andre-carter"][b][color="#bb0033"]Andre Carter[/color][/b][/url] followed by a hit from [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1527/phillip-daniels"][b][color="#bb0033"]Phillip Daniels[/color][/b][/url]". The hits were legal so do not read anything into that.

When Manning got up he shook his right arm " as if to get the feeling back into it". Peyton took a time out and told the back up QB to be ready. Peyton went on to throw for 244 yards and three TD's in the second half. According to Irsay and Dungy the neck would get aggravated over the next few years but nothing really abnormal.

But, in September of 2010 it was reported that Peyton had been injured sometime before week one. That is when the disc in his neck began to do nerve damage. Manning struggled with pain throughout the 2010 season. He admitted to not having as much throwing strength as usual. This resulted in his decreased production: 91.2 passer rating, 4700 yards, 33 TD's and 17 Int. (hell of a season for an injured QB).

Peyton's first two surgeries were more noninvasive in an attempt to keep the disc from doing damage to the nerve. The fusion was done on the third attempt and was successful. Two of the countries leading neurosurgeons, along with the [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/indianapolis-colts"][b][color="#bb0033"]Colts[/color][/b][/url] neurosurgeon have cleared Peyton to play in the NFL again. This relates completely to the fusion itself. Not the nerve regeneration that is subsequent to the fusion surgery.

Peyton is no more likely to "break his neck and be paralyzed" than anyone else in the league. The fusion does not make his neck "weaker", it just may be a little less mobile. Only time will tell. The discs are fused and healed and no longer do damage to the nerve, which is what has caused the loss in arm strength.

The question now is, when and if the nerve will completely heal. This process can take from a few months to a year. The fact is, a study was done on this very issue in regards to NFL players who have had disc herniation's and nerve damage. According to the Spine Orthopedics,Aug. 2010, [b]72% of NFL players who underwent surgery for disk herniation and resulting nerve damage returned to play, on average for 2.8 more years. [/b]The non-surgery group returned to play for just 1.5 years.

In an interview with Joe Montana, Joe said he underwent fusion surgery in 1986 and was told many of the same things Peyton has by so many around him- just retire. Montana underwent his surgery and went on to win Super Bowls 23 and 24, was MVP in 1989, Super Bowl MVP and led his team to two 14-2 regular seasons. [b]And all of this after disc fusion surgery.[/b]

According to Peyton and those around him he is getting strength back in his arm. Both [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2834/reggie-wayne"][b][color="#bb0033"]Reggie Wayne[/color][/b][/url] and [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2772/joseph-addai"][b][color="#bb0033"]Joseph Addai[/color][/b][/url] took some reps from Manning and agreed that he was getting more zip on the ball. It could still take several months to find out if Peyton will be in that 72% club and get back to full strength.

The Colt's do not have the luxury of waiting to find out as they have to make a decision before March 8th and a 28 million dollar bonus they would have to pay Manning. It's not going to happen and Peyton [b]will become a free agent.[/b]

The rest of the NFL has more time to see how Peyton is doing. The fact is the odds are in Peyton's favor. He is already getting his strength back and there is a three out of four chance his nerve will heal completely. If so, I believe Peyton has at least three more years of Manning level football left in him, maybe more. He may be 36 but other than this neck injury he was the least sacked QB in the league his entire career. He has never taken the kind of punishment other older QB's have endured.

I would also add that Peyton may be the smartest most cerebral QB in history. I believe he can adjust his game as he gets older and still be just as dangerous. Kinda like Michael Jordan when he could no longer dunk a ball from the free throw line. He just invented the fade shot and won more titles.

If Peyton's nerve completely heals, a team in need of a franchise QB would be nuts not to go for him. Just my two cents.[/quote]

[url="http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2012/2/8/2786079/some-clarity-on-peytons-injury"]http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2012/2/8/2786079/some-clarity-on-peytons-injury[/url]

I would take Bill over Mike any day of the week. My data to support this is to look at what Bill has done compared to how Mike (our current owner and GM) does things.

All in all I am happy with the changes Mike has done. I just would like to get a top down organization with one vision and some scouts. Bill could build that here. I honestly would take a guy off the street compared to some of the decisions made up until the last couple years 2009-2011.

Also I hope this Rey thing is a mistaken identity but I seriously doubt it.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1328888246' post='1095124']

So he won 1 SuperBowl and a few conference championships in 25 yrs, I still think he's overrated.

Anybody with a little football knowledge could look at the Colts and see they were screwed if Manning ever got hurt because how the team was totally built around him, there worst case scenario comes true and they struggle to win 2 games this season. They let every defensive player who showed promise and was a free agent leave, effectively putting everything on Manning's shoulders to carry the team. Also I understand that most teams don't have great backups but the Colts put absolute bums behind Manning for years and never groomed a successor even though Peyton was showing signs a few years ago that his neck could be a problem.

To me Polian constructed the Colts like an NBA team where you can have one superstar and some role players who compliment that star player. NFL teams have to have quality depth at every position because of the violent nature of the game, you are always one play away from the backup becoming the starter, moreso than other sports in which injuries are not considered apart of the game.
[/quote]

Whatever. Aside from all the winning he hasn't done shit.

To me he constructed the Colts like a championship team.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1328890182' post='1095134']

True but everyone in the organization and all of the fans knew Painter sucked before the season started, he proved that when they let him play in '09 vs. the Jets in that last game of the season. I'm not saying they had to go out and get Drew Brees to back him up but atleast get a guy who can play. They had to have known Peyton was going to get injured at some point, he's had these neck problems for years and he went 208 games without missing a start, common sense would tell you he's due to miss some time sooner or later.

Here's a good article about the history of Manning's neck problems and gives a good clear update on where he currently stands from a health standpoint.

[url="http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2012/2/8/2786079/some-clarity-on-peytons-injury"]http://www.revengeof...-peytons-injury[/url]
[/quote]

Sorry but QB is NOT the most dangerous position on the field as I have already stated special teams player on kickoffs is. Its not just my opinion there are stats to back it up, and the NFL has made two major rule changes in the last few years, allowing only two 'wedge' players instead of three and the 35 yard line kickoff instead of the 30, to help prevent those injuries. Which hurts more, a 300 pound guy falling on you after taking a couple of steps, or a 250 guy hitting you running full speed down the field?

Curtis Painter was ranked as the top Senior QB coming out in his draft.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1328904534' post='1095211']

Sorry but QB is NOT the most dangerous position on the field as I have already stated special teams player on kickoffs is. Its not just my opinion there are stats to back it up, and the NFL has made two major rule changes in the last few years, allowing only two 'wedge' players instead of three and the 35 yard line kickoff instead of the 30, to help prevent those injuries. Which hurts more, a 300 pound guy falling on you after taking a couple of steps, or a 250 guy hitting you running full speed down the field?

[b]Curtis Painter was ranked as the top Senior QB coming out in his draft.[/b]
[/quote]

There were 5 senior QB's drafted ahead of Painter.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1328906262' post='1095227']

There were 5 senior QB's drafted ahead of Painter.
[/quote]

Todd McShay had Painter as the top Senior QB in the draft. If you are talking about Sam Bradford, Mathew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman...they were under classmen. After that it doesn't matter what a guy was ranked prior to the draft when it comes to actual draft position. I didn't say he was the top selected Senior QB in the draft, I said he was the top ranked Senior QB going into the draft, big difference. I can prove what I am saying. Watch the bottom of the screen in this clip and it shows Todd McShay ranks Curtis Painter as the top Senior QB in the up coming draft. At the 1:21 mark specifically.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfSsetj_LAk[/media]

Archived