I finally did it....

fluhartz

I finally broke down and got a Mac... It came today...

Macbook Pro 15"
Quad core 2.2
4 gigs of Ram
intel hd graphics 3000... didn't go crazy here....I will still use my PC for work

I guess pretty basic Macbook Pro... didn't want to spend a bazzillion dollars on my first one...

this thing is sweet though. I had to take the day off work to be here when it came, now I am just messing around gettng acclimated to it.
Do you know of any accessories I should get or would need? It only came with the power adapter.....
I already ordered a Specks clear cover for the outside of it.

I wont get rid of my PC, again I use it for work.. but I can see it collecting some dust besides that....

Rock on....

Congrats, and welcome to the good life. It's a world where everyone tries their damnest to hate on Apple, while you just sit back and laugh.

As far as hardware, I don't know that you really need any accessories. Mine's over 3 years old now, and I really have not felt the need to add anything to it.

Software-wise, I'm a big fan of Quicksilver. I feel like that's a must. If you like playing around with other OSes (or just need a Window environment for whatever), I can highly recommend VMWare Fusion.

ya know i had windows on mine, i eventually took it off, i never used it EVER... i had XP then Vista and then 7 installed w/VMWARE Fusion... eventually decided since i hadnt used it in years to free up the HD space it had allocated... never miss it... but i dont do any work from home really....many work apps require horrible things like IE6 ...*shivers*

enjoy.....

it takes a few weeks to get completely acclimated to the small differences.. i am nearing my second macbook pro purchase.. nothing wrong with mine but i wouldnt mind speeding video conversions up and things like that with an i7 in there instead of this core 2 duo 2.4...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1328913914' post='1095262']
ya know i had windows on mine, i eventually took it off, i never used it EVER... i had XP then Vista and then 7 installed w/VMWARE Fusion... eventually decided since i hadnt used it in years to free up the HD space it had allocated... never miss it... but i dont do any work from home really....many work apps require horrible things like IE6 ...*shivers*

enjoy.....

it takes a few weeks to get completely acclimated to the small differences.. i am nearing my second macbook pro purchase.. nothing wrong with mine but i wouldnt mind speeding video conversions up and things like that with an i7 in there instead of this core 2 duo 2.4...
[/quote]

yea I will wait for a while and see if I am going to need it.. I have heard so much about how great these things run with the i7 processors... I agree...man this thing is smooth...
I first figured I would need a mouse, after using other laptops..I am glad I didn't get one before I even used it. This track pad is awesome. Works very well after I figured out most of the moves... A mouse would have been a waste of money...

yep, when i had my office in ohio setup i had dual 22" LCD monitors setup and did 1 mini displayport and one usb to dvi adapter to do extended desktop on two monitors to work at my desk..

they make a cool vertical stand for the macbook, used wireless keyboard and mighty mouse... it was sweet...

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1328915212' post='1095269']

yea I will wait for a while and see if I am going to need it.. I have heard so much about how great these things run with the i7 processors... I agree...man this thing is smooth...
I first figured I would need a mouse, after using other laptops..I am glad I didn't get one before I even used it. This track pad is awesome. Works very well after I figured out most of the moves... A mouse would have been a waste of money...
[/quote]

That multi-gesture is man-kinds greatest achievement. Anyone who argues with that is wrong. I've never used a Windows trackpad that I liked. In fact, I've never owned a Windows laptop that I didn't end up disabling the trackpad on just because it annoyed the ever living shit out of me...even when I wasn't actually using it.

The Macbook trackpad changed all of that. There are plenty of reasons why Macbooks are worth the premium over other laptops, but the trackpad is at the top of the list.

My biggest point of amazement came when I decided to buy Plants vs Zombies, and realized that the trackpad was MORE than functional enough to use for the game. Could you imagine trying to play any fast-paced game with a Windows trackpad?

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1328924664' post='1095296']
Ok you bastards. I am going to get me one too. So, what kind of laptop should I get? give me specs and all. Apple is the shitznet now I admit it.
[/quote]

Since this is my first one..others might steer you in a better direction...but this is what I got, and it is bad ass... In the Apple store just click on Macbook Pro and its right there... I didn't add anything but Apple Care...
[list]
[*]2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
[*]4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x2GB
[*]500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
[*]SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
[*]MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
[*]Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
[/list]

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1328934396' post='1095353']

That multi-gesture is man-kinds greatest achievement. Anyone who argues with that is wrong. I've never used a Windows trackpad that I liked. In fact, I've never owned a Windows laptop that I didn't end up disabling the trackpad on just because it annoyed the ever living shit out of me...even when I wasn't actually using it.

The Macbook trackpad changed all of that. There are plenty of reasons why Macbooks are worth the premium over other laptops, but the trackpad is at the top of the list.

My biggest point of amazement came when I decided to buy Plants vs Zombies, and realized that the trackpad was MORE than functional enough to use for the game. Could you imagine trying to play any fast-paced game with a Windows trackpad?
[/quote]

agreed dude... I could have never imagined a trackpad being this great...

I'm a bit of an input junkie. The trackpad on your MBP is awesome, and is perfect for most of what you'll do. I use it for everything but high end gaming and work (graphic design). For first person shooters and the like, you'll still want a mouse. Avoid the Apple Magic Mouse for this, as you'll really need the traditional buttons. If you're into art, design, or photography, I would suggest a tablet. It's nothing you absolutely need, but makes a big difference if you're into that stuff... The only other input suggestions I would have are a Magic Trackpad and wireless keyboard, but only if you go with GO's dual monitor setup.

To be honest, you don't need much other than the laptop. My bag has the MBP in a neoprene sleeve, power cable, art tablet, and a pair of headphones... Think I have a wireless Logitech mouse in there for gaming, but that's it.

Edit: Multigestures make a universe of difference. After using them on the MBP, I bought a Magic Trackpad for my desktop. Now, the only time I bother plugging in a mouse is when I'm a first person shooter.

Archived