'Monday Night Football' switching to 2-man booth

BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) — “Monday Night Football” is switching to a two-man booth.

Analyst Ron Jaworski has signed a five-year contract extension to appear on other programming on ESPN and will no longer join play-by-play announcer Mike Tirico and color commentator Jon Gruden on Monday nights, the network said Wednesday.

Jaworski, the former Philadelphia Eagles quarterback, will work various ESPN studio shows year-round, often focusing on his specialty of breaking down video.

“With him doing one game each week, we don’t necessarily believe we were getting the best Ron Jaworski had to offer to the network,” executive vice president Norby Williamson said.

Jaworski called “Monday Night Football” games the past five seasons. Gruden, the former Raiders and Buccaneers coach, joined MNF in 2009 and agreed to a five-year extension in October. This is the first time in 15 years ESPN has used a two-person lead team on its NFL game coverage.

(Click the link for the entire article)

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20120215/SPT02/302150138/

[quote name='STRAYCAT' timestamp='1329352861' post='1096274']never been the same since went to espn....[/quote]

Ain't that the truth?! A change in commentators for MNF back in the glory days would have made national headlines, while this story will be missed by almost everyone. With the glut of football on TV and the switch to cable, MNF is nothing more than another routine broadcast. What would Cosell, Gifford, and Don Merideth think today?

Aren't the contracts for the various networks supposed to switch around at some point? I thought they were scheduled to rotate between them periodically.

It'd be cool if the AFC were on FOX instead - every time we play an NFC team I'm struck by how much better the production quality tends to be overall. They have annoying announcers on FOX, too, but they don't seem to butcher names, cut away from a play to plug their crappy shows, misidentify plays/players/teams/cities, have shitty camera angles, etc etc nearly as often. CBS seems really low-budget by comparison. Even the picture itself seems worse, it's like they've got outdated cameras or something.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1329390772' post='1096342']
Fox does have better production. I like the team with Moose and then Goose in the endzone.

Gruden doesn't annoy me on MNF. Trico does.
[/quote]

The only decent play-by-play announcer is Al Michaels. Trico, Gus, Joe Buck and Bryant Gumble are/were worthless and annoying. Some color guys should train to do play-by-play. Instead of having some guy without a clue parrotting whatever the color guy says when he wants to try to sound like he knows football.

[quote name='Bleeds Orange' timestamp='1329375805' post='1096336']

Ain't that the truth?! A change in commentators for MNF back in the glory days would have made national headlines, while this story will be missed by almost everyone. With the glut of football on TV and the switch to cable, MNF is nothing more than another routine broadcast. What would Cosell, Gifford, and Don Merideth think today?
[/quote]

Good point. Those guys were entertaining and had chemistry we'll never see again on any sports program. Back then, MNF was a TV show, not just a football game.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1329377777' post='1096337']
Aren't the contracts for the various networks supposed to switch around at some point? I thought they were scheduled to rotate between them periodically.

It'd be cool if the AFC were on FOX instead - every time we play an NFC team I'm struck by how much better the production quality tends to be overall. They have annoying announcers on FOX, too, but they don't seem to butcher names, cut away from a play to plug their crappy shows, misidentify plays/players/teams/cities, have shitty camera angles, etc etc nearly as often. CBS seems really low-budget by comparison. Even the picture itself seems worse, it's like they've got outdated cameras or something.
[/quote]

Out of nostalgia, I still miss the days of the AFC being on NBC at 1:00pm and 4:00pm. My favorite announcing teams in those days was Bob Costas with Bob Trumpy.

They should have Beavis and Butthead

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][img]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2104/buttheadmd4.gif[/img][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][img]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3747/beavisps5.gif[/img][/font][/color]

Archived