The crisis of Neoliberalism

Jamie_B

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1358463129' post='1209077']
Ok so if I used a term incorrectly, take it out of my post and the rest still remains true. You are trying to discredit an entire argument over grammar, typical strategy for somebody without the ability to discredit with fact, or even discuss. Get out of here troll.
And I will go look up the definition because I think you're off base as well.
[/quote]

nope, not going anywhere. And I said nothing about the rest of your argument. I only meant to point out that you were using the term 100% backwards.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1358463450' post='1209079']
So I looked it up and I am in fact using the term correctly you knob.
Slippery slope = a tricky or precarious situation, a dangerous pathway or route to follow, a route that leads to trouble.
[/quote]

You cherry-picked the wrong definition; did you get that one from Yahoo Answers? Look it up in the context of informal fallacy.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1358463681' post='1209080']
And if you're saying slippery slope is an idea that is the fallacy, I retort that so is the idea that gun control will somehow keep things like this from happening
[/quote]

Wow, touchy. Are you sure someone as emotional as you needs guns around the house? <-- this is trolling, btw. Before I was pointing out that you look unintelligent by misusing "slippery slope." And of course I meant the fallacy. I think I already used the word in one of my first responses. Yes, I did IN ALL CAPS so you wouldn't miss it.

I nor anyone here is under the fantasy that instituting common-sense gun regulation will eliminate gun violence. I would like to see a reduction in gun violence, however. Part of acknowledging the slippery slope and yet not succumbing to the fallacy is to recognize that the chain of events might stop before you reach Z. So yeah, let's say that indeed elimination of gun violence is the goal. If we only end up seeing a reduction in gun violence, I can live with that.

Why are we talking about guns in this thread, anyway? It's always about the guns with you, isn't it? <-- Here's more trolling. Sometimes I like to call it soising.

[quote name='T&#045;Dub' timestamp='1358469749' post='1209098']
What is with this repetition of the "God-given right" stuff? For one, I'm not sure which interpretation of God or Gods you worship, but I'm not aware of any religions that address how many rounds you should be allowed to carry in your rifle. Secondly, or more as a corollary, it makes you sound like a kook.

Again I wonder why, considering the 2nd amendment was largely created in order to protect all the other amendments, it's only the 2nd one that people seem intent on defending.
[/quote]
Well the bill of rights are what are considered our "natural" rights, meaning they belong to any person living on this planet and are granted by your creator and not any government, therefore can not be taken away by any government. it has nothing to do with religion or religious teachings. Just because other peoples allow, or are forced, to give up those rights by their government doesn't mean we should.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1358629272' post='1209566']
[b]Well the bill of rights are what are considered our "natural" rights, meaning they belong to any person living on this planet and are granted by your creator and not any government,[/b] therefore can not be taken away by any government. it has nothing to do with religion or religious teachings. Just because other peoples allow, or are forced, to give up those rights by their government doesn't mean we should.
[/quote]
This is quite mistaken. And such a claim does a great disservice to those who crafted the framework for our government.

Are you suggesting that, by virtue of the 10th amendment, God is a states-rights advocate.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1358454760' post='1208995']
It's called a slippery slope. I would recommend all of you watch some of the YouTube videos posted by MAINEPREPPER. If you've never heard of this guy he's no nut. He is retired military with two college degrees and very strong understanding of the constitution and bill of rights. He thinks most preppers are idiots that will only die quickly because they'll far underestimate their "enemy" if anything goes down. He covers a lot of the topics we've been discussing on here and makes the most coherent and thoughtful points I've heard on the topic to date. Watch a few of his videos and you will see why some people are against anything that tampers with our natural and God given rights because it always starts small and escalates quickly. This has happened in history before and we will repeat it if we continue to disregard our constitution and bill of rights.
[/quote]

Thanks! This guy is great!

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1358629272' post='1209566']
Well the bill of rights are what are considered our "natural" rights, meaning they belong to any person living on this planet and are granted by your creator and not any government, therefore can not be taken away by any government. it has nothing to do with religion or religious teachings. Just because other peoples allow, or are forced, to give up those rights by their government doesn't mean we should.
[/quote]
Really verbose and without a single clue...God, I love American politics.

Archived