iPad question

I've decided to update my home office a bit. I wanted to put a TV in the office, but then decided that instead of running cable to the office, or worse, getting another cable box, I'd just buy a SlingBox and an iPad 3 when they presumably come out in March. That way, I'd have all of the functionality of a TV, with the added bonus of everything owning an iPod and a SlingBox pro-HD give you, as well. Sure, the screen's a little small for a TV, but I'm going to buy a stand so that I can set it on the desk and be able to watch it from a close distance while I'm on the computer doing work, so I don't think that'll be a huge problem.

So, my question concerns the apps. I already own an iPhone, and have a bunch of apps on it. Will those transfer to the iPad for free, or do I have to buy them again? Most my apps were pretty cheap, but I do need to buy the SlingBox app, which is around $30. I just bought the SlingBox today, so it'd be nice to use it on my iPhone while i'm waiting for the iPad 3 to come out. If they aren't transferable, however, then I'd rather wait til I have the iPad and only buy it once.

The apps sync to all iOS devices under your iTunes account for free. You are in good shape.

When you go to the app store on your iPad, you'll be able to go to a section of apps you've already purchased. Just select them and install.

I just did some more research, and I'm not so sure that's true.

I did a search for SlingBox app on my iPhone. In the description for the app is the following:

"COMPATIBLE DEVICES:
- iPhone
- iPod Touch

* SlingPlayer for iPhone may be used on an iPad but may have sub-optimal picture quality in Full-Screen mode."

That kind of leads me to believe they want me to buy them separately.

Oh I see. I didn't realize there was a slingbox for iPhone app, and a slingbox for iPad app. Yeah, those two are treated as separate apps that you would have to buy separately... It's kinda lame, but some apps do it. Or they'll tack an HD to the end of the app name to denote it's iPad only.

With your iPhone, you may already have a bunch of these apps, but here are the ones I use in the home office:

Video:
Hulu+
Netflix
Crackle
ABC Player
NBC
PBS

Also, if you have Directv or other supported service:
TNT
TBS
HBO Go

If you have Directv, download the Directv app. It lets you stream a bunch of channels live. I watch a bunch of NFLNetwork that way.

If you freelance at all, get Time Master. Does all your time keeping, invoicing, etc... Most awesome work app I own... Good reader is great too. Let's me view, markup, and send PDFs really easy.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1329875422' post='1098042']If I'm not mistaken iPhone apps and iPad apps aren't exactly the same! Ones for phone and ones for the pad right?[/quote]

It depends. Many are universal. Some are not.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1330813512' post='1101919']
just sold my ipad 2 for $400, paid $420 for it, will get the ipad3 for $420 as well. i also broke my macbook trying to "fix it"..so thats "in the shop" still... i am left with only my iphone and ipod.... its been a rough 3 days...
[/quote]

I get a little twitchy and nervous just trying to imagine that Hell.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1330964634' post='1102261']

I get a little twitchy and nervous just trying to imagine that Hell.
[/quote]

im using my wifes macbook pro now... i couldnt take it...

and i REALLY want to wait until the new macbook pro and macbook airs come out... id love to go with a macbook air, but rumor has it the new pros are going to be slightly slimmer and have retina displays... which would be AMAZING...

Gonna have to get my research cap on today during the presentation. Depending on the communications chip in these iPads, the decision could get weird on LTE. As I understand it, Verizon is currently the only LTE game in Cincinnati. I think AT&T has LTE coming, but not here yet. From what I read, Sprint's "4G" is more of a WiMax network, and may not be supported by the new iPad... So what's the scoop, Go? Help us with the wireless voodoo we'll be faced with today.

So far:

Retina display
A5X (sounds like dual core CPU with Quad core GPU... Not bad, considering they never came close to maxing out the CPU of the regular A5)
LTE models for AT&T and Verizon (also do 3G HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA
Hotspot?
5MP camera and 1080P video shooting... software stabilization... iPhone 4s camera, basically
Epic Games says more RAM than XBox, so more than 512MB RAM.
Older games will scale up automatically.
10 battery life.
iPhoto for iPad...

Same pricing as iPad2

sprint originally launched wimax as a 4g service, since then wimax has been basically cancelled. we have launched a few LTE cities, and should have a dozen major markets done by mid year and probably 25-30 done by years end. cincinnati is for some reason typically high on the list, so they MIGHT be in by years end, if not it will be first two quarters next year.. the LTE networks everyone has are utter shit, i wont be "proud" of a 4g network sprint has until probably late 2013 or early 2014. its just unrealistic for it to launch quick enough...all while we are shutting down iDEN towers nationwide slowly(awesome)...

to be honest, unless you magically life and wander around in 4g almost all the time, it shouldnt be much of a factor in your ipad buying expereince. by the time it matters, the new, NEW iPad will be out...

IMO.

i will be picking up my 32gb"new ipad" on the 16th... and a few of the new apple TV's.< - - love this thing, i use it EVERY SINGLE DAY it seems..

• 3 months later...
does anyone have this AV cord? Does it literally just project your iPad screen on to your TV like it would for a laptop or portable dvd player?

Don't see why it wouldn't work that way, just want to make sure I'll be able to display my apps on the tv, particularly my netflix app before I spend $40 on it.

[url="http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE"]http://store.apple.c...ode=MTc0MjU4NjE[/url]

also you can use airplay from the ipad to show on tv, just videos and stuff, if you actually want to run apps on the tv, like play angry birds on the tv, the cable would be needed,... but yea, in the end apple tv is great... and starting in the fall everyone can develope apps for it...so youll see more video/movie apps..

Fuck Apple's proprietary "Dock" bullshit. It's called USB, how in hell does it not have one? Am I missing something? 3-5 times the cost of competing Android tablets and half the functionality. DGAF about the "retina" display, am I flying a damned Predator drone here? You say "starting in the Fall" they are opening up the SDK to people? That's great; meanwhile Android will have pushed another version or two, with all kinds of free apps in a competitive marketplace, without purposefully rendering current platforms obsolete. Don't even get me started on the bucket of fail that is iTunes.

Sorry, but I don't see the value in their whole clique-y, trendy fashionista business model. Their shit may be marginally better, but not enough to justify the wildly inflated price, let alone the cultish devotion to a brand. I'm buying hardware, not a frickin' iHandbag.

:hunter:

/rant

Apps for the phone and the iPad don't match up most of the time. The iPhone apps are, of course, developed with a 2 inch screen in mind, or whatever size it is. iPad apps are, again of course, developed with that much larger screen in mind. I don't think I have any apps on my iPad, that I got from my iPhone, that look good full screen.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' timestamp='1341817546' post='1138338']
Apps for the phone and the iPad don't match up most of the time. The iPhone apps are, of course, developed with a 2 inch screen in mind, or whatever size it is. iPad apps are, again of course, developed with that much larger screen in mind. I don't think I have any apps on my iPad, that I got from my iPhone, that look good full screen.
MULLY
[/quote]

many times apps are developed for both, but also the retina apps on the iphone look pretty solid on the ipad, but you can tell the difference in the retina and non retina apps no matter what they are designed for... directv of all apps neither the tv o the sunday ticket app are retina graphics.. kind of lame..

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1341810922' post='1138336']
Fuck Apple's proprietary "Dock" bullshit. It's called USB, how in hell does it not have one? Am I missing something? 3-5 times the cost of competing Android tablets and half the functionality. DGAF about the "retina" display, am I flying a damned Predator drone here? You say "starting in the Fall" they are opening up the SDK to people? That's great; meanwhile Android will have pushed another version or two, with all kinds of free apps in a competitive marketplace, without purposefully rendering current platforms obsolete. Don't even get me started on the bucket of fail that is iTunes.

Sorry, but I don't see the value in their whole clique-y, trendy fashionista business model. Their shit may be marginally better, but not enough to justify the wildly inflated price, let alone the cultish devotion to a brand. I'm buying hardware, not a frickin' iHandbag.

:hunter:

/rant
[/quote]

1. I tend to agree on the charging interface. All phones and pads should have the same charger.
2. Competing pads are all the same price or higher. Kindle Fires and the like are hugely under-spec'd bottom feeders.
3. Unless you're also happy with your twenty year television set, I think you do care a bit about retina displays. Better picture on any visual device matters to even my mother.
4. Yes, AppleTV's SDK should be released soon. As of February, Google has sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 750,000 Google TV devices. 4.2 million AppleTV's have been sold. I don't think free apps or updates matter. People don't seem to like Google TV.
5. You'll have to explain the bit about current platforms becoming obsolete. I have no idea what you're referring to there.
6. iTunes is difficult for me because I have so much media. I too look forward to how it performs after the rewrite.
7. You're going to have to defend that 'wildly inflated price' comment. Specifically, I would assume from the thread topic, as it pertains to iPads. The biggest gripe from competitors is that Apple has locked in ultra-cheap contract on parts and they can't get competitive products built cheap enough to have a chance.
8. Apple's fundamental philosophy is that you aren't just buying hardware. The software matters to, and the best products come from building the two together... It's why Microsoft and Google are both going to build their own tablets. Hardware specs don't matter if the thing is a pain in the ass to use.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1341810922' post='1138336']

/rant
[/quote]

I've used a Windows based machine ever since I first started using computers in the mid 90's. I too felt that Apple products weren't anything special and that I'd be better off with Windows. Last year that all changed when a friend suggested I try the new iMac......I was looking for something to do a lot of video editing with. After researching quite a few things and going to stores and trying things out, I decided to give the iMac a try. Huge investment that I'd be stuck with if I ended up not liking it too. I'm a year into using my iMac now and this is all I have to say. You will never find me in Starbucks wearing a ski beanie in the summer while sipping on a fratte latte, or whatever those fucking things are called. But I love my Mac and now understand why so many people use them and recommend them. Right now I have an iPhone 4s, an iPad2, and the iMac. Next purchase is the MacBook Pro.

As for the failure of iTunes that you mention, I've been using iTunes for years now and have never had one problem with it. Most PC problems are ultimately because of a loose nut behind the keyboard.
MULLY
don't really think you're a nut, just wanted to use that line :+)

Archived