Video Card Issue

Bunghole

[color=#000000]
All-

I bought a Radeon HD 6750 yesterday as a slight upgrade and installed it into my computer (Athlon dual core processor at 2.3ghz, 4GB RAM, 500W power supply, Windows 7, old video card was an Nvidia 9600GT). Installation was a snap, installed drivers off the disc no problem, went to AMD's website and got the latest drivers no problem, played a brief round of games with graphics enhanced over what they were, no issues.

My issue is this: I generally like to put my computer in sleep mode when I'm not using it so its not totally rebooting from scratch. Every time I have done this, I get the login screen just fine, but once it arrives to my desktop its all screwy. Icons and my background are terribly pixellated, as if the card is having trouble resolving it. When I reboot, the boot lettering is in a really low resolution and all big and stuff...but then I get to the login screen and the resolution has been resurrected to its previous setting. Then I get to my desktop just fine and everything is fine.

So why every single time I go to "wake up" my computer from sleep mode is it doing this erratic pixellation crap once I get to my desktop background? Its really weird. The new card seems to be performing well in every other way but I have to restart the thing every time to get it where its supposed to be.

Any ideas?
[/color]

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1329789934' post='1097733']
Just sounds like a driver's issue to me. Did you re-boot once you installed the drivers?
[/quote]
Oh yeah. I was prompted to do so after both driver installs (off disc, off website).

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1329793327' post='1097751']
Everything I am reading says it is some kind of driver issue. Either a driver for your video card, a driver for your monitor, or that you are missing an update on your OS.
[/quote]

I'll follow along these lines and ask if you've run Windows Update since installing the card? If not, run it, install the updates, reboot, and scan again.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1329795002' post='1097759']
Did you uninstall all previous drivers from your old card? Nothing got left behind?
[/quote]
Yes. I manually removed all Nvidia software at the recommendation of the AMD manual for the new card.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1329793459' post='1097752']

I'll follow along these lines and ask if you've run Windows Update since installing the card? If not, run it, install the updates, reboot, and scan again.
[/quote]
I will try this.

Archived