Hard Drive Recovery

I have a related question. I have a hard drive that has about ten years worth of pictures on it. The machine that it is in now is about to give up the ghost. Removing the old hard drive is easy but I'm assuming I can't install that old hard drive into a new computer.

The question is how can I access the picture files on that hard drive if I choose to remove it and trash the old machine? Thanks.

[quote name='Enon Bengal' timestamp='1330451823' post='1100193']
I have a related question. I have a hard drive that has about ten years worth of pictures on it. The machine that it is in now is about to give up the ghost. Removing the old hard drive is easy but I'm assuming I can't install that old hard drive into a new computer.

The question is how can I access the picture files on that hard drive if I choose to remove it and trash the old machine? Thanks.
[/quote]

you can buy an enclosure from newegg.com for like $10-20, put the hard drive in there and plug into new machine via usb... the new machine will read it just like a thumb drive of files... you can go in and delte the system files and just look for your pictures or desktop folders of files you want to keep.. i have done this many times..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1330967405' post='1102273']

you can buy an enclosure from newegg.com for like $10-20, put the hard drive in there and plug into new machine via usb... the new machine will read it just like a thumb drive of files... you can go in and delte the system files and just look for your pictures or desktop folders of files you want to keep.. i have done this many times..
[/quote]
Wow - that's way too easy. Thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1330967405' post='1102273']

[/quote]
Did this over the weekend, works great. Thanks for the suggestion.

Archived