Lewis plans to talk to Bengals about extension

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1330231654' post='1099223']
And its lamer that he doesn't have a playoff victory after a decade and people want to give him a long term contract. Gimme a fucking break. Losers settle.
[/quote]

So here's the question I've got: Who's the next head coach? Zimmer? After seeing the LeBeau disaster before Marvin, I'm not convinced that Zimmer is the head coach of choice. Gruden? I'd like to see more experience before I consider him, after living through the David Shula fiasco. Maybe Hue Jackson, but not sure if anyone else would come to the Bengals.

There's nothing wrong with a head coach who rebuilds a team into a playoff contender. Just ask the Chargers fans if they would take Marty Schottenheimer back after living with Norv Turner.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1330226972' post='1099207']

Probably, though I think that has more to do with fickle fans than the quality of coaching.

Up until last year I think he's been fighting management, a sackless OC, and a heartless QB. He held the team together through all kinds of bullshit and I think has only just now been allowed to assemble a core of players according to his own philosophy. Given another year or two I think he could build the foundation to win long-term, not only for one season. And if not, [i]then[/i] I would consider canning him. He deserves the shot at least.
[/quote]

Oh you should let go of the 90s, we arent that 2-14 consistently bad team anymore. ;)

Jokes aside like I said I'm a Mavin fan for what he has done here, but at the same time Ive seen the getting into the playoffs by beating a bunch of bad teams and then being one and done enough now. Its time to do more and if Marvin cant do that then he doesnt deserve the long term contract.

Earn it.
[quote name='AZBengal' timestamp='1330227902' post='1099213']
But I thought Mike Brown was the problem! Wish people would make up their mind...
[/quote]

Oh Brown is a big part of the problem and Marvin gets credit from me for being able to do what he has done being handcuffed like he has.

But the on the field stuff is Marvin.

[quote name='jrandom42' timestamp='1330234209' post='1099229']

So here's the question I've got: Who's the next head coach? Zimmer? After seeing the LeBeau disaster before Marvin, I'm not convinced that Zimmer is the head coach of choice. Gruden? I'd like to see more experience before I consider him, after living through the David Shula fiasco. Maybe Hue Jackson, but not sure if anyone else would come to the Bengals.

There's nothing wrong with a head coach who rebuilds a team into a playoff contender. Just ask the Chargers fans if they would take Marty Schottenheimer back after living with Norv Turner.
[/quote]

We don't have to pretend that there aren't coordinators and assistants out there worthy of a head coaching job. Just because we can't name them off the top of our heads doesn't mean they're not out there. Once again, losers settle.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1330231654' post='1099223']
Losers settle.
[/quote]

Then take a good look at your own life. Are you among the best in the world at what you do, and if not then why did you settle for being a loser?

Marvin just took a team that was $30 million under the cap to the playoffs. He would have looked like a much better coach if Mike had just spent a little more money at a couple of key positions.

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1330294114' post='1099496']

Then take a good look at your own life. Are you among the best in the world at what you do, and if not then why did you settle for being a loser?

Marvin just took a team that was $30 million under the cap to the playoffs. He would have looked like a much better coach if Mike had just spent a little more money at a couple of key positions.[/quote]

Word.

Marvin just took a team that was $30 million under the cap to the playoffs. He would have looked like a much better coach if Mike had just spent a little more money at a couple of key positions.
[/quote]

Maybe he hasn't settled and is instead just a slow mover.

:locomotive:

[/quote]

Don't be fucking stupid. "Losers settle" means that people who are content with average year after year and a glimpse of success do not get over the hump. People who are okay with making it to the playoffs and nothing more don't win shit. Its been proven for the past 10 years. And now its Mike's fault again? We spend the thread saying that now Marvin has got some power so he's doing better, but our excuses for him not doing better than average is that its once again Mike's fault. 10 fucking years. Not a single playoff victory. You can't spin that any other way. That doesn't happen in any other franchise in the NFL. All I'm saying is he doesn't deserve a new contract before the season starts. If you believe he does, then you're absolutely crazy.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1330300629' post='1099519']10 fucking years. Not a single playoff victory. You can't spin that any other way. That doesn't happen in any other franchise in the NFL. All I'm saying is he doesn't deserve a new contract before the season starts. If you believe he does, then you're absolutely crazy.
[/quote]

If you believe that being $30 million under the salary cap did not handicap Marvin last year then you are the one who is crazy.

Keep blaming everything on the coach and you will keep getting the exact same results.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1330302433' post='1099533']

Yeh, actually, it does. Quite a bit in fact.
[/quote]

No there was just an article of how many coaches that have coached as many games as Marvin and not won a playoff game. I think there were like 2.
[quote]

[size=3]Lewis is third on the list for most regular-season games coached without a playoff win (144) behind Jim Mora (231) and Norm Van Brocklin (173), and that elusive victory bothers him.[/size][/quote]

I guess I don't see what ML has done to keep them from winning in the playoffs. You've got CP's knee getting shredded, CP playing like shit, and then this season drops by Crocker or Scott, where if either one had caught the ball it probably would've won the game. And this year, hell, the fact they even made the playoffs considering how the offseason went should be endorsement enough.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1330300629' post='1099519']

Don't be fucking stupid. "Losers settle" means that people who are content with average year after year and a glimpse of success do not get over the hump. People who are okay with making it to the playoffs and nothing more don't win shit. Its been proven for the past 10 years. And now its Mike's fault again? We spend the thread saying that now Marvin has got some power so he's doing better, but our excuses for him not doing better than average is that its once again Mike's fault. 10 fucking years. Not a single playoff victory. You can't spin that any other way. That doesn't happen in any other franchise in the NFL. All I'm saying is he doesn't deserve a new contract before the season starts. If you believe he does, then you're absolutely crazy.
[/quote]

Since nobody in the world feels that way except in your imagination, this was a waste of effort.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1330309590' post='1099560']
Name me the "quite a bit"
[/quote]

Well as someone else pointed out, you probably meant "..without being fired", which I'll grant you. Still, people want a coach fired if their team has a losing season. There are a number of consistently crap teams that have had the "carousel of coaches" thing going on and just seem to get worse for the effort. For the record I don't think I suggested signing ML long-term right now, but I would like to see something like a 2-3 year extension. I like the direction he has them pointed in.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1330309804' post='1099561']

Well as someone else pointed out, you probably meant "..without being fired", which I'll grant you. [color=#ff0000]Still, people want a coach fired if their team has a losing season.[/color] [color=#ff0000]There are a number of consistently crap teams that have had the "carousel of coaches" thing going on and just seem to get worse for the effort.[/color] For the record I don't think I suggested signing ML long-term right now, but I would like to see something like a 2-3 year extension. I like the direction he has them pointed in.
[/quote]

That isnt what is going on here.

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1330301609' post='1099528']

If you believe that being $30 million under the salary cap did not handicap Marvin last year then you are the one who is crazy.

Keep blaming everything on the coach and you will keep getting the exact same results.
[/quote]

Keep the same coach and you will keep getting the same results.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1330315205' post='1099574']
Well yeh, they haven't fired the coach every two years like Oakland or someplace like that. I am suggesting that's been to our benefit.
[/quote]

Yes and nobody is suggesting that is going on here either. But at somepoint you have to shit or get off the pot when it comes to winning in the playoffs.

And to suggest that Marvin deserves a extension until he does, well I just dont agree. And I'm a Marvin fan.

If he doesnt win a playoff game he will be getting close to the record of Jim Mora for 10.5 seasons coaching the same team without a playoff victory. I say let him get his victory this year and then sign him.

I would be all for signing him long term if I had any faith Brown would fire him before his contract is up if he doesnt have a good season, but I am not.

No team has ever had the same coach for 11 complete years without a playoff victory

I dont think anyone here is a Marvin hater. I don"t. He hasn't given me any reason to really dislike the guy. I just think he he is an average coach.

Sure he has done better than the guys before him but he hasn't convinced me he has the ability to take the team to the next level.

My biggest concern is the inconsistency the team shows from year to year. The last 4 seasons have been 4 wins-playoffs-4 wins-playoffs.
The team often comes out flat and looks uninspired. Too many dumb penalties. You guys know what I am talking about.

But there is always a myriad of excuses for Marvin. No control. Not his players. Coaches. Divas. Quitters. No training camp.

That is different now. Everyone is saying Brown has given Lewis a lot more control. Marvin says these are his guys. Coaches have been replaced.
The Divas are gone. And the Quitter is out and been replaced. And they will have training camp this year.

All the excuses have been addressed. The team has two 1st round picks. Unless there is some catastrophe the Bengals should be a much better team this year.

All I am saying is lets wait and see before he gets extended.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1330316244' post='1099576']

Yes and nobody is suggesting that is going on here either. But at somepoint you have to shit or get off the pot when it comes to winning in the playoffs.

And to suggest that Marvin deserves a extension until he does, well I just dont agree. And I'm a Marvin fan.
[/quote]

That's fine, but there isn't any need to caricature the other position as 'loving mediocrity' or some such. Look how much good SD did for themselves by firing 'loser' coaches like Marty Schottenheimer.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1330318643' post='1099584']
Still haven't seen anyone explain how Marvin is responsible for the playoff losses.
[/quote]

Well that dressing up like Kimo and taking out Carson's knee was pretty severe.

Archived