Web Searching Security

I don't use auto-fill for any password stuff. I use 1password instead. It's available for OSX and Windows. It puts a password protected button in your browser menu, and keeps all of your passwords encrypted. Pretty awesome, really. I don't even know my passwords to websites. I let it generate and store really complex passwords, and just remember the one password for the app (oh look, the name of the app!)... I also have the encrypted database in my dropbox folder so it syncs passwords to all my computers, phones, and pads. It's kind of my must-have app.

With those privacy changes to google and such, I'm finally reading up on site-specific-browsers. Fluid is the OSX one I've been reading about, but they exist for all OS's. As I read it, you create a browser window for one specific site, with all sorts of restrictions options. You then have it set up with a desktop icon... In a google case, you'd have a google icon on your desktop that brings up a single google.com web page. as long as you set up the restrictions to be super stringent, and do all of your searching in that one page, things stay secured from the rest of your info.

I think... Anyone else played with SSBs?

thanks, I'll have to check up on 1password. I'm looking to get more secure in light of the google changes, but I go to about 8 different sites daily that have some kind of login, and currently probably have about 4-5 different passwords between the 8 and its a bitch. A universal password would probably due the trick, but different sites have different requirements for password length/character inclusion, etc...

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1330440025' post='1100000']
I don't use auto-fill for any password stuff. I use 1password instead. It's available for OSX and Windows. It puts a password protected button in your browser menu, and keeps all of your passwords encrypted. Pretty awesome, really. I don't even know my passwords to websites. I let it generate and store really complex passwords, and just remember the one password for the app (oh look, the name of the app!)... I also have the encrypted database in my dropbox folder so it syncs passwords to all my computers, phones, and pads. It's kind of my must-have app.

With those privacy changes to google and such, I'm finally reading up on site-specific-browsers. Fluid is the OSX one I've been reading about, but they exist for all OS's. As I read it, you create a browser window for one specific site, with all sorts of restrictions options. You then have it set up with a desktop icon... In a google case, you'd have a google icon on your desktop that brings up a single google.com web page. as long as you set up the restrictions to be super stringent, and do all of your searching in that one page, things stay secured from the rest of your info.

I think... Anyone else played with SSBs?
[/quote]

I'm gonna try 1password and trust you that it works. :) I take it that it won't be effected by me turning off cookies?

Archived