*UPDATED THREAD TITLE* Free Agency thread

[quote name='mhfinks' timestamp='1332520593' post='1111000']
I really think you trade up to get TR...with your 17 and a 2nd and 5th... then trade down with number 21 to get a late first and another second and go best available.... so all you loose is a little position and a 5th from the chad trade.....
[/quote]
The only player they should consider trading up for is Luke Kuechly. Not Trent Richardson, or any RB for that matter. Richardson really isn't that special. He only had one outstanding year at Alabama, doesn't catch the ball that well, and hasn't even worked out for scouts. He's a tough runner,for sure, but you can say that about a lot of guys. i do like your idea of being creative with draft day trades to get the most out of the pathetically few picks that the Nfl gives each team.

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1332646548' post='1111765']
The only player they should consider trading up for is Luke Kuechly. Not Trent Richardson, or any RB for that matter. Richardson really isn't that special. He only had one outstanding year at Alabama, doesn't catch the ball that well, and hasn't even worked out for scouts. He's a tough runner,for sure, but you can say that about a lot of guys. i do like your idea of being creative with draft day trades to get the most out of the pathetically few picks that the Nfl gives each team.
[/quote]

Your writing style is so pissy. You act like you know things are facts that are obviously just opinions. You must get exhausted trying to keep all that knowledge you have in your brain.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1332647133' post='1111766']

Your writing style is so pissy. You act like you know things are facts that are obviously just opinions. You must get exhausted trying to keep all that knowledge you have in your brain.
[/quote]

just ignore the dumbass. he's not worth your time.

New England has two firsts and two seconds, I'd like a trade down scenario where we could end up with:

1-17 David Decastro (OG) Stanford/Cordy Glenn (OG) Georgia
1-31 Stephon Gilmore (CB) South Carolina (Trade Down with NE)
2-16 Mohamed Sanu (WR) Rutgers/Rueben Randle (WR) LSU/Stephen Hill (WR) Georgia Tech/Alshon Jeffrey (WR) So. Carolina (TD/NE)
2-21 Doug Martin (RB) Boise St
3-21 Phillip Blake (OC) Baylor
4-21 Chandler Jones (DE) Syracuse
5-21 Nicolas Jean-Baptiste (DT) Baylor
5-31 Emmanuel Acho (LB) Texas (From NE for Chad Ochocinco)
6-21 Winston Guy (SS) Kentucky
7-21 Chris Osuwu (WR) Stanford

Just looking at different scenarios

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1332647133' post='1111766']

[/quote]
i have an almost infinite capacity for storing knowledge. like a supercomputer. i'm a pissy supercomputer. remember that.

[quote name='snarkster' timestamp='1332653684' post='1111779']New England has two firsts and two seconds, I'd like a trade down scenario where we could end up with: 1-17 David Decastro (OG) Stanford/Cordy Glenn (OG) Georgia 1-31 Stephon Gilmore (CB) South Carolina (Trade Down with NE) 2-16 Mohamed Sanu (WR) Rutgers/Rueben Randle (WR) LSU/Stephen Hill (WR) Georgia Tech/Alshon Jeffrey (WR) So. Carolina (TD/NE) 2-21 Doug Martin (RB) Boise St 3-21 Phillip Blake (OC) Baylor 4-21 Chandler Jones (DE) Syracuse 5-21 Nicolas Jean-Baptiste (DT) Baylor 5-31 Emmanuel Acho (LB) Texas (From NE for Chad Ochocinco) 6-21 Winston Guy (SS) Kentucky 7-21 Chris Osuwu (WR) Stanford Just looking at different scenarios[/quote]

I definitely like the idea of trading down into the late 1st, though I think that late 1st might be where you need to take a WR. I'm not sure exactly where the dropoff from the top tier of WRs is (after 5 guys? 6 guys?). However, I think there is going to be a run on WRs in the 2nd half of the first round (and maybe into the first few picks of the 2nd round) and that the top 6-8 guys are all going to go in the top 40.

This season, there are a ton of teams with WR needs (thus the run on WRs in free agency). In addition to the Bengals, you also have teams like Cleveland, St. Louis and possibly New England with WR needs and a lot of early picks. You also have teams like Jacksonville, Miami, Buffalo, San Francisco, Arizona, NY Jets, Houston, Minnesota, Carolina, etc. that are all probably looking for upgrades at the position.

In short, we could see an early run on WRs in the draft just like we did in free agency. And when you look at the contracts that mediocre guys like Laurent Robinson, Robert Meachem, Pierre Garcon, etc. all got in FA, you can't even say that it'll be a reach when some of these WRs go earlier than projected. It's simply a case of demand exceeding supply making these guys have actual high value.

To follow up on that previous post, I think the smart move for the Bengals is going to be to sit tight in the 1st and use one of those 2 picks on a top 5 WR.

Then sit back and watch the run on WRs take place in the late 1st and early 2nd round. I think we could see 9 or 10 WRs go off the board in the top 40 picks. That will push the other positions down and allow us to get an outstanding value with our 2nd rounder.

stealers lose a starting corner.

[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,]
[url="https://twitter.com/#!/ProFootballWkly"][b]Pro Football Weekly[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]ProFootballWkly[/b][/url][/font][/color]
[url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23Cardinals"][s]#[/s][b]Cardinals[/b][/url] have signed CB William Gay to a two-year deal.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332697047' post='1111889']
stealers lose a starting corner.

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/ProFootballWkly"][b]Pro Football Weekly[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]ProFootballWkly[/b][/url][/font][/color]
[url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23Cardinals"][s]#[/s][b]Cardinals[/b][/url] have signed CB William Gay to a two-year deal.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
But a stealers fan will tell you he was just dead weight. I sincerely hope that the steelers find out those guys were more important than they thought and their youth movement/salary cap purge blows up in their face and leads to a losing season

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1332698563' post='1111905']
Patriots have signed a bunch of receivers, Lloyd, Gonzalez, Stallworth, plus someone else I can't think of offhand. [b]Ocho will probably be cut.[/b]
[/quote]

he just restructured his deal today. Wouldn't surprise me if they gave him a little money now, in exchange for his salary going from #3 million to $1million. And I wouldn't be surprised if they still cut him, and part of them restructuring him was lowering his cap hit.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332698410' post='1111903']
didn't realize Anthony Gonzalez signed in New England. If healthy that could be a sleeper pickup for them.
[/quote]

They are in their "gotta have em all" mode on WR again this year. Seems odd to sign so many just to cut them later.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1332698563' post='1111905']
Patriots have signed a bunch of receivers, Lloyd, Gonzalez, Stallworth, plus someone else I can't think of offhand. Ocho will probably be cut.
[/quote]

The resigned Branch. Not sure if that was who you meant.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1332698744' post='1111907']

They are in their "gotta have em all" mode on WR again this year. Seems odd to sign so many just to cut them later.

[/quote]

I don't see it as a bad thing, and I wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals add another DE and CB with the same thought in mind.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332698827' post='1111908']

I don't see it as a bad thing, and I wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals add another DE and CB with the same thought in mind.
[/quote]

Seems like the team there could use some attention to the Defense. You know Brady will be able to complete passes to whoever.

It is like Jon Gruden and his QB fetish his last year there. Collecting a dozen iffy QBs is no better than two.

by this I'm guessing Marvin counted MJ, Fanene and Rucker all as "starters"

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/GeoffHobsonCin"][b]Geoff Hobson[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]GeoffHobsonCin[/b][/url]
[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,]Boston Globe question on Fanene: Going to be interesting. Very hard on himself. Fine athlete. in our mind he was one of our 14 starters[/font][/color]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1332949374' post='1113073']
[url="https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter"][b]Adam Schefter[/b]‏[s]@[/s][b]AdamSchefter[/b][/url]

San Francisco 49ers reached agreement with former Giants running back Brandon Jacobs.
[/quote]

Funny 3 years ago he would have received a monster contract.

Archived