*UPDATED THREAD TITLE* Free Agency thread

[quote name='JUNGLE TIME' timestamp='1331490742' post='1104324']
I call BULLSHIT ....

Everybody else has the Bengals at about 60 million under.

[left][i]"Saints cornerback Tracy Porter and Ravens safety Haruki Nakamura, a UC product, should be available."[/i]

[/left][left]Well who the heck cares ....[/left][left]If that is the kind of players they are thinking about bring in don't even bother.

[/left][left]If a team has even the slightest interest in WINNING and they have that kind of cap space they look for some upgrades.

[/left][left]Not just to bring in some guys who are really nothing more than roster-fillers.

[/quote]

Both are quality players. Are they stars? Nope. Are they upgrades? Yep.[/left]

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1331490039' post='1104320']

if we lose him, i'd like to see us draft josh chapman, who i think has maybe even a higher ceiling. he was the main cog in alabama's #1 rush defense last year that only allowed oponents 75 yds/game.
[/quote]

I really like Chapman a lot, he'd be a perfect replacement for Sims IMO...not sure where he's gonna end up though due to his injury

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1331492694' post='1104328']

I really like Chapman a lot, he'd be a perfect replacement for Sims IMO...not sure where he's gonna end up though due to his injury
[/quote]

You guys need to quit thinking replacements and start thinking upgrades.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1331492803' post='1104329']

You guys need to quit thinking replacements and start thinking upgrades.
[/quote]

I agree, but i think they are just being realistic. I'd love to be wrong, but i don't think there's going to be a whole lot of "upgrades" in FA this year for us. I'd be happy with Bush, Meachem, Grubbs, and maybe Mincey. That being said, i'd much rather have Colston, Nicks and Tulloch because i think they'd be bigger difference makers.

[b]Matthew from Washington writes: [/b]Considering the Bengals have a lot of cap space, is there any chance they could pull the trigger on both [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11398/carl-nicks"]Carl Nicks[/url] and [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10473/ben-grubbs"]Ben Grubbs[/url] and solve their line problems in one shot?

[b]Jamison Hensley[/b]: There's no question that the Bengals need to upgrade at both guard positions, and they have the cap space to do something about it. But don't expect to see both Nicks and Grubbs in Cincinnati next season. The Bengals don't go after the high-priced free agents, so that takes them out of the running for Nicks. I could see the Bengals pursuing Grubbs because they have a familiarity with him after playing him twice a year. So, what would Cincinnati do at the other guard spot? The Bengals will likely use one of their two first-round picks on a guard. Stanford's [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28952/david-decastro"]David DeCastro[/url] has a great shot to be Cincinnati's first selection in the draft.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/43640/afc-north-mailbag-102

If their own free agents are their priority, then they damn sure need to get to work. Having 20 UFA's about to hit the market and only one RFA FB in the fold is not acceptable on the eve before everyone in the league gets a shot at them. They better have a very good push before midnight tonight. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if nelson is a Dolphin and Fanene is a Pat within 48 hours.

[quote name='snarkster' timestamp='1331497826' post='1104347']
If their own free agents are their priority, then they damn sure need to get to work. Having 20 UFA's about to hit the market and only one RFA FB in the fold is not acceptable on the eve before everyone in the league gets a shot at them. They better have a very good push before midnight tonight.
[/quote]

Free Agency doesn't start until Tuesday. But I agree, the salary cap numbers are out, start tendering and signing mo-fos!

[b] Bengals will make Monday pitch to free agent safety Nelson[/b]

[quote]
Posted by Evan Silva on March 11, 2012, 5:58 PM EDT

[size=4][i]AP[/i][/size]

[size=4]The NFL rumor mill has connected free agent safety [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4164/reggie-nelson"]Reggie Nelson[/url] to the Dolphins and Titans, but the Bengals won’t let him get away without one last pitch.[/size]

[size=4]According to Joe Reedy of the [i]Cincinnati Enquirer[/i], the Bengals will reach out to Nelson’s representatives on Monday, the day before the free agent market opens. Reedy gives the club a “[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2012/03/11/cap-number-is-finally-in-120-6-million/"]slight chance[/url]” to re-sign Nelson, but ultimately considers him more likely to hit free agency.[/size]

[size=4]The 21st overall pick in the 2007 draft, Nelson was an early-career bust in Jacksonville, but has rehabbed his market value some over the past two seasons in Cincinnati. The 28-year-old intercepted four passes and caused two fumbles in 16 starts last year. He returned one of the picks for a 75-yard touchdown.[/size]

[size=4]Nelson is still a timid tackler, though. His next team would be smart to put Nelson in situations where he has opportunities to make plays on the ball as a “center-field safety,” as opposed to forcing Nelson to support the run.[/size]

[size=4][/quote][/size]

[size=4]Get it done.[/size]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1331509015' post='1104380']

what gives you that assumption?
[/quote]
Just the vibe the whole situation is giving me. Its happened in the past. I forget who, but I remember a FA was really just disgusted at the offer we gave em.The fact that we haven't had any real conversations over it makes it seem like we're not really seeing it as a priority when he really is our top FA.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1331509616' post='1104383']

Why cause reedy only gives it a slight chance? Reedy doesn't know shit.
[/quote]

I've felt that way for the past few days. I'm not a Reedy follower at all.

We've had the past few months and they're to meet tomorrow about it? I just can't see Cincinnati blowing him away with a contract offer. Hopefully I'm wrong, but we're probably screwed. At least we have Nugent!

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1331512488' post='1104395']
I've felt that way for the past few days. I'm not a Reedy follower at all.

We've had the past few months and they're to meet tomorrow about it? I just can't see Cincinnati blowing him away with a contract offer. Hopefully I'm wrong, but we're probably screwed. At least we have Nugent!
[/quote]

Scientist are bout to meet tomorrow to try and figure out how to stop the end of the world in December too. Don't you love procrastenators?

I'm sure they've reached out to him before, and given the lack of good safeties in FA left (Landry, who will be expensive, has injury issues, and gets hurt a lot besides; and Dwight Lowery is pretty good, but Reggie is better) and the relative lack of good safeties coming out (you have Barron and Smith, and not a lot else), Reggie and his agent probably figure they have a big payday coming.

The Bengals have a feel for what Reggie is looking for, and obviously this is a last attempt to ink him before FA starts. If their offer is not enough, he will test the market and (maybe) they'll continue to talk. One thing we know about the Bengals is they have a sense for what they'll pay and if it's out of whack vs what the player is looking for, they won't play. I think their logic is, OK, safety class is weak, but we aren't gonna overpay you because of it, and besides, you aren't that much better than the young guys we have. So Reggie, go for it, and if you get tha huge payday, have at it. And if not, come back and we wil talk some more. And I'm sure that's the same approach they've taken with the others that they want to retain but haven't signed. Some will sign, and others won't... and they seem to be OK with that.

I like Reggie and think he's an above average safety, but I wouldn't break the bank for him. I don't see him as a "must sign" like I did JJoe last year, and because I don't see the practices, the other guys may be more ready than I think.

Archived