Bengals FA Interest and Dealings

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1332192417' post='1109109']

[i]Terence[/i] Newman? Have you not seen a Cowboys game in 3-4 years, or are you just amused by watching him fall down in coverage?
[/quote]

I dont think its all his fault at all from watching their games. If anything at least he help us depth wise.Zimmer is sure to get the best out of him by reuniting again. Plus in Madden he is an 87 ! lol beats the hell out of jennings and ghee! Just sayin..

[quote name='DaltonGreen' timestamp='1332192994' post='1109120']

I dont think its all his fault at all from watching their games. If anything at least he help us depth wise. Plus in Madden he is an 87 ! lol beats the hell out of jennings and ghee! Just sayin..
[/quote]

1. He'll be 34 when the season starts.
2. Fuck. No. He's horrible.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1332193044' post='1109121']

1. He'll be 34 when the season starts.
2. Fuck. No. He's horrible.
[/quote]

He'll be 34 but he came in the league when he was 25ish. Not saying its all that much better but he did play in dallas where the stars are brighter and you get bitched at every time you dont make a play (see: Tony Romo).

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1332170003' post='1108895']

Steve Smith, Early Doucet, and Mark Clayton are all guys who I would like to see brought in for the #2 wr spot. Doucet has tons of potential and is ready to breakout, imo.
[/quote]
Forget it. Those guys are just names you've heard. Why sift through that scrap heap,at all?

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1332193564' post='1109127']
Forget it. Those guys are just names you've heard. Why sift through that scrap heap,at all?
[/quote]
False. Doucet put up good numbers last season. I've been watching him for a couple years.

[quote name='DaltonGreen' timestamp='1332190297' post='1109085']
So since they're visits are over im assuming they are leaving without a contract which is a let down IMO. I want Newman, Harvery, & Dressen from that list. Hopefully they still come around and sign.
[/quote]
The player's visit may be over, but his agent is the one who needs to be talking now. Dreessen would be a good pick-up-he's sort of the like the player we hope Colin Cochart will be one day. So, I guess D. Harvey is now in the DE mix with Jamaal Anderson-two 1st round busts. Though neither guy became the kind of elite pass rusher expected of a top 10 4-3 end, they are still in their 20s and are big guys with 1st round athletic ability who may respond to Zim and ML by becoming valuable-or at least effective-rotation guys. I wouldn't see any problem with taking a low cost flyer on Newman for the purpose of finding out what he has left in the tank. He might look better to people in the light of lowered expectations.

No real reason to sign Newman with Allen on the team now. We need a young stud on the team to take over for Clements after this season. One of the 1sts will be used on a corner most likely.

Hall
Clements
1st round pick
Allen
Jones

That's how I think it will be

Dreesen would be a good addition. I'm shocked anyone would endorse signing either Newman or Harvey. They both suck mightily. We need some LBs, either Lawson and Brandon Johnson or an upgrade from Maualuga. We also need to get Sims re-signed if possible and add a vet DE who's at least as good as Fanene or Rucker.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1332194955' post='1109136']
No real reason to sign Newman with Allen on the team now. We need a young stud on the team to take over for Clements after this season. One of the 1sts will be used on a corner most likely.

Hall
Clements
1st round pick
Allen
Jones

That's how I think it will be
[/quote]

...and yet they're bringin other CBs to interview.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1332199881' post='1109157']
Newman is probably just getting visit because of his connection with Zim. It's probably just a courtesy visit to make it look like someone is interested.
[/quote]
That's what I figured too. Plus the Allen signing wasn't official until today.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1332201952' post='1109168']
[url="https://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NFL"][b]John McClain[/b]‏[s]@[/s][b]McClain_on_NFL[/b][/url]

TE Joel Dreessen left Bengals on his way to Titans. His first visit was Saints.
[/quote]

where a DE knocked him out and made 500 bucks,

[size=6][b]Visits point to backup DE; Back debate[/b][/size]

By GEOFF HOBSON

Posted 28 minutes ago

The Bengals are apparently visiting the idea of signing a defensive end that can take snaps in their line rotation and seem to be mulling two top 10 picks trying to revive their careers.

On Monday the club confirmed the visit of Derrick Harvey, the eighth pick in the 2008 NFL Draft that the Jaguars traded up ahead of the Bengals at No. 9 to get. On Friday the Bengals checked out Jamaal Anderson, the eighth pick in the 2007 draft by the Falcons.

Both are coming off their second teams. Harvey has eight career sacks, but none in his first season with Denver last year, when he only took 92 snaps, according to profootballfocus.com. Anderson had a career year with the Colts last season, when he had three of his 7.5 career sacks.

The Tennessean's Jim Wyatt tweeted Monday night that Anderson is going to visit the Titans.

Also in town Monday were Texans tight end Joel Dreessen and Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman, but the real attraction was Patriots running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis. He's setting up what has been reported as Raiders running back Michael Bush's visit on Tuesday.

The back situation is making for some good debate. Bush, 27, and Green-Ellis, 26, are solid, productive guys who are younger than the 29-year-old Cedric Benson now being used in the past tense in Bengaldom.

One of the things that has Benson on the outs is last season's 3.9 yards per carry average. The Bengals are looking for some home-runs, some big plays that Benson rarely gave them with only four runs of at least 20 yards.

But Green-Ellis didn't have a run longer than 18 yards last season while Bush had five of at least 20, and both had averages less than Benson at 3.7 and 3.8, respectively.

So would the Bengals be better off drafting one to team with Bernard Scott and his career 4.6 average that dipped to 4.0 after last season?

Yet one of the compelling arguments for signing a veteran back to team with a rookie and Scott is the insurance it provides at the most vulnerable of positions. Plus, Bush is a versatile guy and local favorite that can catch passes out of the backfield and Green-Ellis would be a welcome addition to the AFC North with his zero fumbles.

It remains to be seen if the Bengals want to get into a bidding war with the Pats with Green-Ellis suggesting he'll give New England a chance to re-sign him.

Although the Bengals hosted Dreessen, it's believed they are still talking to last year's backup tight end Donald Lee. The tweets are saying Dreessen is heading to visit the Titans after getting into Cincinnati via New Orleans.

And even though Newman visited Monday, the Bengals would probably like to re-sign Adam Jones but the depth chart is rapidly filling up. Count a draft pick and there are already six cornerbacks with Leon Hall, Nate Clements, Jason Allen, Brandon Ghee and Rico Murray.

You'd have to say there isn't going to be much more spent in the secondary. With reports putting safety Reggie Nelson's deal at $18 million for four years with $6.5 million in the first year and cornerback Jason Allen's deal at two years, $8.2 million, the counting on the 2012 salary cap for the combination of both contracts is probably north of $8 million.

With that trio of young safeties sitting behind Nelson and Chris Crocker, the Bengals certainly aren't looking to drop much more money on a safety.

Monday was the first time Newman had a tour of Paul Brown Stadium since his pre-draft visit of 2003, when he was joined by USC quarterback Carson Palmer. A lot of water under the bridge since that day. The Bengals took Palmer first overall and then Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer was delighted Dallas took Kansas State's Newman fifth.

Zimmer wanted to make sure he checked out Newman this trip since he's a player and person he hugely admires. The big question is Newman's age. With Allen in the fold and Newman turning 34 early in the season, it may not be a quick strike if the Bengals pursue him.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Visits-point-to-backup-DE-Back-debate/5f6f1a33-1e50-4ff9-afd0-006b1ad1fb91

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1332205947' post='1109186']
[size=6][b]Visits point to backup DE; Back debate[/b][/size]

By GEOFF HOBSON

Posted 28 minutes ago

The Bengals are apparently visiting the idea of signing a defensive end that can take snaps in their line rotation and seem to be mulling two top 10 picks trying to revive their careers.

On Monday the club confirmed the visit of Derrick Harvey, the eighth pick in the 2008 NFL Draft that the Jaguars traded up ahead of the Bengals at No. 9 to get. On Friday the Bengals checked out Jamaal Anderson, the eighth pick in the 2007 draft by the Falcons.

Both are coming off their second teams. Harvey has eight career sacks, but none in his first season with Denver last year, when he only took 92 snaps, according to profootballfocus.com. Anderson had a career year with the Colts last season, when he had three of his 7.5 career sacks.

The Tennessean's Jim Wyatt tweeted Monday night that Anderson is going to visit the Titans.

Also in town Monday were Texans tight end Joel Dreessen and Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman, but the real attraction was Patriots running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis. He's setting up what has been reported as Raiders running back Michael Bush's visit on Tuesday.

The back situation is making for some good debate. Bush, 27, and Green-Ellis, 26, are solid, productive guys who are younger than the 29-year-old Cedric Benson now being used in the past tense in Bengaldom.

One of the things that has Benson on the outs is last season's 3.9 yards per carry average. The Bengals are looking for some home-runs, some big plays that Benson rarely gave them with only four runs of at least 20 yards.

But Green-Ellis didn't have a run longer than 18 yards last season while Bush had five of at least 20, and both had averages less than Benson at 3.7 and 3.8, respectively.

So would the Bengals be better off drafting one to team with Bernard Scott and his career 4.6 average that dipped to 4.0 after last season?

Yet one of the compelling arguments for signing a veteran back to team with a rookie and Scott is the insurance it provides at the most vulnerable of positions. Plus, Bush is a versatile guy and local favorite that can catch passes out of the backfield and Green-Ellis would be a welcome addition to the AFC North with his zero fumbles.

It remains to be seen if the Bengals want to get into a bidding war with the Pats with Green-Ellis suggesting he'll give New England a chance to re-sign him.

Although the Bengals hosted Dreessen, it's believed they are still talking to last year's backup tight end Donald Lee. The tweets are saying Dreessen is heading to visit the Titans after getting into Cincinnati via New Orleans.

And even though Newman visited Monday, the Bengals would probably like to re-sign Adam Jones but the depth chart is rapidly filling up. Count a draft pick and there are already six cornerbacks with Leon Hall, Nate Clements, Jason Allen, Brandon Ghee and Rico Murray.

You'd have to say there isn't going to be much more spent in the secondary. With reports putting safety Reggie Nelson's deal at $18 million for four years with $6.5 million in the first year and cornerback Jason Allen's deal at two years, $8.2 million, the counting on the 2012 salary cap for the combination of both contracts is probably north of $8 million.

With that trio of young safeties sitting behind Nelson and Chris Crocker, the Bengals certainly aren't looking to drop much more money on a safety.

Monday was the first time Newman had a tour of Paul Brown Stadium since his pre-draft visit of 2003, when he was joined by USC quarterback Carson Palmer. A lot of water under the bridge since that day. The Bengals took Palmer first overall and then Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer was delighted Dallas took Kansas State's Newman fifth.

Zimmer wanted to make sure he checked out Newman this trip since he's a player and person he hugely admires. The big question is Newman's age. With Allen in the fold and Newman turning 34 early in the season, it may not be a quick strike if the Bengals pursue him.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Visits-point-to-backup-DE-Back-debate/5f6f1a33-1e50-4ff9-afd0-006b1ad1fb91"]http://www.bengals.c...d0-006b1ad1fb91[/url]
[/quote]

Bring back Pacman and draft Kirkpatrick, Jenkins or Gilmore. It's tough finding a solid CB beyond the first and possibly second rounds. Not so with safeties. They may be able to find a decent depth guy in the late rounds or as a CFA. I like Winston Guy of Kentucky late as a Practice Squad prospect.

[quote name='snarkster' timestamp='1332208541' post='1109197']

Bring back Pacman and draft Kirkpatrick, Jenkins or Gilmore. It's tough finding a solid CB beyond the first and possibly second rounds. Not so with safeties. They may be able to find a decent depth guy in the late rounds or as a CFA. I like Winston Guy of Kentucky late as a Practice Squad prospect.
[/quote]

+1

I know Marvin has said that most successful corners are 1st rounders, but I feel that this year's class is extremely deep. I think that CB's like Brandon Boykin, Jayron Hosley, Chase Minnifield and Josh Robinson can be good players and can be had in round 2 or 3. I'm not sure they'd be your #1 CBs like Claiborne, Kirkpatrick or Jenkins. But heck even Jenkins might slide to round 2 with character concerns, and I still think Dennard could be serviceable (although maybe at safety).

Hopefully we can go BPA rounds 1-3 if they can lock up a starting RB, and another G, DT, WR and CB at least for depth.

[quote][url="https://twitter.com/#!/CincyJungle"][b]Josh Kirkendall[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]CincyJungle[/b][/url][size=4]
Defensive Tackle Andre Fluellen Re-Signs With The Detroit Lions[url="http://t.co/nHbwm2n4"]http://sbn.to/GAUxZa[/url][/size]
[size=3]
[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,]
[/font][/color]

[/quote][/size]

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Here's who they have reported interest in:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CB Aaron Ross, Giants. Visited Thursday. Stayed Overnight[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][s]DE Kendall Langford. VisitedThursday.[/s] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Stayed Overnight. Signed by Rams on Saturday[/font][/color]

[s][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TE Kellen Davis. Visit TBA [/font][/color][/s][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Re-signed by bears on 2yr deal[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]OG Jacob Bell. Visited [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thursday[/font][/color]

RB Ben-Jarvus Green-Ellis. Visited Sunday-Monday

RB Michael Bush. Visiting Monday

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CB Terrance Newman Visited Monday[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CB Tracy Porter. Visted Thursday. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Stayed Overnight[/font][/color]

[s]DT Andre Fluellen. Visited Thursday[/s] Re-signed with the Lions

CB Jason Allen. Visited Friday. [b]Signed by Bengals Saturday[/b]

DE Jamaal Anderson. Visited Friday

TE Joel Dreessen Visited Monday

OG Travelle Wharton[b] Signed by Bengals Saturday[/b]

S Stevie Brown. Early free agency

DE Derek Harvey. Visited Monday

[b]Bengals Free Agents Signed:[/b]

Reggie Nelson re-signs with Bengals (reedy belies its a 4 year deal

Fanene signs a 3yr deal with Patriots

Rucker signs a 5yr deal with Browns

Livings signs a 4yr deal with Cowboys

McGlynn signs with Colts[/quote]

[url="https://twitter.com/#!/alexmarvez"][b]Alex Marvez[/b]‏[s]@[/s][b]alexmarvez[/b][/url]

New [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23Titans"][s]#[/s][b]Titans[/b][/url] DE Kamerion Wimbley said [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23Patriots"][s]#[/s][b]Patriots[/b][/url] inquired about his services. He was surprised [b][url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23Bengals"][s]#[/s]Bengals[/url][/b] [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23Seahawks"][s]#[/s][b]Seahawks[/b][/url] & [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23Packers"][s]#[/s][b]Packers[/b][/url] had interest, too

[b] MARCH 20, 2012[/b]
[color=#000000]

[b] Mike Zimmer says Terence Newman could fit in with the Bengals[/b]

Mike Zimmer wasn't in Cincinnati on Monday when free agent cornerback Terence Newman arrived for his visit with the Bengals. But Zimmer knows all about Newman, having been the Cowboys defensive coordinator for the first four years of Newman's career.
The Cowboys released the nine-year veteran last week, and Newman has begun his search for a new home.
"I've known Terence for so long," Zimmer said Tuesday during the University of Texas' Pro Day in Austin. "You know sometimes it's just good for guys to get a change and get a new start on things. I always loved Terence. I always thought he was a good, competitive kid with a lot of ability. I think sometimes you get in different systems and things work out better for you, because it's a better scheme fit or whatever. I'm not saying it is or it isn't. I know when I had him, which was a few years, so you've got to see that in person, but I know what kind of person he is. I know what kind of character he has. And I know how he would fit in with our football team. To me, that's important, too."
Newman, who turns 34 in September, was cut to save the Cowboys $6 million in salary-cap room and to make way for Brandon Carr. Dallas signed Carr to a five-year, $50.1 million deal last week.
Newman has missed time due to injuries in three of the past five years. Although he played all 16 games in 2010, he played through a pain rib injury for much of that season. He was only the 97th-best cornerback in the NFL in 2011, according to Pro Football Focus. He was targeted 78 times and gave up 49 catches for 797 yards and three touchdowns. Quarterbacks completed 62.8 percent of their passes against him and had an 88.5 passer rating. Newman did have four interceptions.

-- Charean Williams

[url="http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2012/03/mike-zimmer-says-terence-newman-could-fit-in-with-the-bengals.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter"]http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2012/03/mike-zimmer-says-terence-newman-could-fit-in-with-the-bengals.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[/url][font=sans-serif][size=2]

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2012/03/mike-zimmer-says-terence-newman-could-fit-in-with-the-bengals.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#storylink=cpy[/size][/font]
[/color]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332297385' post='1109557']
[b] MARCH 20, 2012[/b]

[b] Mike Zimmer says Terence Newman could fit in with the Bengals[/b]

Mike Zimmer wasn't in Cincinnati on Monday when free agent cornerback Terence Newman arrived for his visit with the Bengals. But Zimmer knows all about Newman, having been the Cowboys defensive coordinator for the first four years of Newman's career.
The Cowboys released the nine-year veteran last week, and Newman has begun his search for a new home.
"I've known Terence for so long," Zimmer said Tuesday during the University of Texas' Pro Day in Austin. "You know sometimes it's just good for guys to get a change and get a new start on things. I always loved Terence. I always thought he was a good, competitive kid with a lot of ability. I think sometimes you get in different systems and things work out better for you, because it's a better scheme fit or whatever. I'm not saying it is or it isn't. I know when I had him, which was a few years, so you've got to see that in person, but I know what kind of person he is. I know what kind of character he has. And I know how he would fit in with our football team. To me, that's important, too."
Newman, who turns 34 in September, was cut to save the Cowboys $6 million in salary-cap room and to make way for Brandon Carr. Dallas signed Carr to a five-year, $50.1 million deal last week.
Newman has missed time due to injuries in three of the past five years. Although he played all 16 games in 2010, he played through a pain rib injury for much of that season. He was only the 97th-best cornerback in the NFL in 2011, according to Pro Football Focus. He was targeted 78 times and gave up 49 catches for 797 yards and three touchdowns. Quarterbacks completed 62.8 percent of their passes against him and had an 88.5 passer rating. Newman did have four interceptions.

-- Charean Williams

[url="http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2012/03/mike-zimmer-says-terence-newman-could-fit-in-with-the-bengals.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter"]http://sportsblogs.s..._medium=twitter[/url]

Read more here: [url="http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2012/03/mike-zimmer-says-terence-newman-could-fit-in-with-the-bengals.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#storylink=cpy"]http://sportsblogs.s...r#storylink=cpy[/url]

[/quote]

Newmann is supposed to be a decent guy and Zim is a friend as well as a former coach. I would expect him to say something glowing about TN, but would he bet his defense on him? While he may be a more "stellar citizen" than Pacman, TN loses when it comes to age, speed and ability. I'd say they can sign Jones for clos to what Newmann would want. I'd rather they did (as well as adding a 1st Rd. CB).

Archived