Reds talking trade - Brandon Phillips for Cole Hamels??? - The Trentonian

Jason

http://www.trentonian.com/article/20120320/SPORTS12/120329952/osborne-trading-cole-hamels-is-phillies-best-hope&pager=full_story

[quote]Criticize if you will, but before you call the men in white coats, consider that a source in Cincinnati said on Tuesday that the Phillies and Reds had at least talked about a Hamels for Brandon Phillips swap.[/quote]

What would you think? If the Reds were not able to lock up Brandon, would this be a good alternative?

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1332469276' post='1110758']

you realize there's a very good chance he's gone after this year anyway right?
[/quote]
The reds are not going to be able to afford both Phillips and Votto. If the Reds think there is a chance they can resign Votto, I believe they let Phillips walk or trade him at the deadline if they are out of it. If they know they can't sign Votto, they won't let Phillips go.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1332520318' post='1110995']

I thought that they had done up a new contract for him?
[/quote]

nope, I believe they picked up his option but he's only got 1 year left.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1332522774' post='1111018']
The reds are not going to be able to afford both Phillips and Votto. If the Reds think there is a chance they can resign Votto, I believe they let Phillips walk or trade him at the deadline if they are out of it. If they know they can't sign Votto, they won't let Phillips go.
[/quote]

I agree they definitely can't do both, but I don't think they'll necessarily do at least 1. Phillips is going to want a 5 year $60+ million deal and I don't think the reds are willing to go that high even without Votto. Phillips is getting to the age where a lot of players fall hard, so I don't think they'd do more than either a 3 year $36 million or 5 year $50 million deal.

I think they'll cling on to any hope to retain Votto until he's actually gone, which like you say means they either trade or let Phillips walk.

• 2 weeks later...
Seriously how could anyone here not like this deal?

We'd have 3 of the best pitchers in all of baseball for the next 3-4 years.

Hamels, Cueto, Latos means lights out, come post season.

I would totally be for this.

Plug in Billy Hamilton to pay play 2nd base in a few years.

[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,]
[url="https://twitter.com/#!/bradjohansen"][b]Brad Johansen[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]bradjohansen[/b][/url][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,]
If u missed news on Brandon Phillips. Walt Jocketty told me live[url="https://twitter.com/#!/Local12"][s]@[/s][b]Local12[/b][/url] "we hope to have to have a deal in place in a week or so."[url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23reds"][s]#[/s][b]reds[/b][/url][/font][/color]

Brandon doesn't get enough love in this city.. He is one of the best all around 2nd basemen in the game, and might be the best middle infielder defensively in baseball.. It's curious, can't think of [i]any[/i] reason why he seems to be less popular than several other players on the team with less accomplished (like Bruuuuuce).. Hmmm.. what could it be?

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1333654544' post='1115883']
Brandon doesn't get enough love in this city.. He is one of the best all around 2nd basemen in the game, and might be the best middle infielder defensively in baseball.. It's curious, can't think of [i]any[/i] reason why he seems to be less popular than several other players on the team with less accomplished (like Bruuuuuce).. Hmmm.. what could it be?
[/quote]

him half-assing it to first base at times?

We don't need to go where you're implying.

[/quote]
What 1181 said, plus his sometimes whiny demeanor. I'd simply rather have an ace pitcher in Hamels than Brandon...I'd rather have Hamels than Votto too. It doesn't mean neither of them aren't good position players, because they are. But we need better pitching still.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1333657490' post='1115914']

him half-assing it to first base at times?

We don't need to go where you're implying.
[/quote]

I didn't want anyone to go anywhere. It was a rhetorical question meant for reflection.. And he may have lacked hustle at times to first, but that seems to have been a problem in general over the past couple of years.. Overall, I would say Brandon shows great effort.. And I don't get the whiny attitude thing.. He always seems to have a great attitude to me, and he is one of the most accessible and fan friendly players on the team and in recent memory.

[/quote]

I cant speak for the city, but he's been my favorite ever since he called the Cards "little bitches".

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1333661581' post='1115966']

I cant speak for the city, but he's been my favorite ever since he called the Cards "little bitches".
[/quote]

yea but all that did was fire up the Cards, who went on a tear after he said it. He also played like crap against the Cards for the rest of that year.

If you're going to talk smack, back it up. He didn't.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1333662733' post='1115971']

yea but all that did was fire up the Cards, who went on a tear after he said it. He also played like crap against the Cards for the rest of that year.

[/quote]

Still love that he said it though.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1333662733' post='1115971']

[/quote]

That's an interesting take.. I thought we won the division that year. And the cards beat us in that series but went on to tank down the stretch. You make it sound like Brandon was responsible for spring boarding them to a world series.

I can't blame the guy for trying to step up and fire up the team.. One of the problems with the club has been a lack of leadership among the players, and someone had to try and fill that role. Maybe he isn't really that guy, but at least he tried.. And he was right, the cardinals [i]are [/i]a bunch of bitches, and Larussa was one of the biggest whiners in baseball. It was great that someone finally called them on their bullshit.

Archived