The Pac is Back

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332461867' post='1110672']

sims, lawson and collins and head to the draft. Then you're almost completely BPA.

Unless they feel compelled to go out and get one of the decent remaining WR's as well.[/quote]

Exactly.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332461867' post='1110672']

sims, lawson and collins and head to the draft. Then you're almost completely BPA.

Unless they feel compelled to go out and get one of the decent remaining WR's as well.
[/quote]

I'd still like to try and re-sign Lee and possibly bring in Jamaal Anderson or another DE/DT type.

I've been saying for a little bit now that I'd be pretty shocked if we took a 1st round CB. It's like people have been saying it for so long that it is just ingrained in the conscience that the Bengals need a 1st round CB. I don't see it at all.

In fact, I'd argue we have at least 5 or 6 needs bigger than CB and that it is pretty far down the list of needs.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1332461385' post='1110666']
Maybe since he's likely now our fourth corner he can return kicks and punts
[/quote]
Exactly. Get Tate out of that role....cut him if necessary. Tate wasn't terrible but he showed too many Keiwan Ratliff-ish hesitation moves in the PR game. Jones doesn't do that. Adam hasn't proven to be very durable lately, but him being relegated (in my mind) to the 4th CB makes him eligible for the risk of injury at PR. Dude is good at it. Let him do it.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1332468733' post='1110747']
I've been saying for a little bit now that I'd be pretty shocked if we took a 1st round CB. It's like people have been saying it for so long that it is just ingrained in the conscience that the Bengals need a 1st round CB. I don't see it at all.

In fact, I'd argue we have at least 5 or 6 needs bigger than CB and that it is pretty far down the list of needs.
[/quote]

If CB is the BPA I could see them doing it, but its definitely not a must IMO.

1st round CBs can usually come in and play right away, I dont think we need that this year. If Hall doesnt come back like expected or the other 3 guys dont step up, you can draft a CB next year to start right away.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1332462309' post='1110682']
Glad to have him back. I think we have 4 very average corners now so drafting one in round 1 is not out of the question. Love the depth, still don't think we are exceptionally talented at the position.
[/quote]
The thing is we don't need to be (and I don't think Leon Hall is average...he just may not be himself ever again, remains to be seen) exceptionally talented in the secondary. The Giants have proven TWICE in the Superbowl that Dline pressure is more important than incredibly talented CB's. Sure its nice to have them, but if you cannot generate pressure with your front seven (and the Bengals have had major issues doing so in the last several years), then it doesn't matter how good your CB's are. Nobody can cover an NFL wideout forever.

Crocker i hope goes no where, when i have my memories of ohlete, you can't have enough depth.

Here's to hoping we get kilpatrick in the 1st round or the Alabama safety. I think if we draft a safety though it says alot about what they think of the WVU and USC guy we have( having a tough time with names right now lol).

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1332469198' post='1110756']

If CB is the BPA I could see them doing it, but its definitely not a must IMO.

1st round CBs can usually come in and play right away, I dont think we need that this year. If Hall doesnt come back like expected or the other 3 guys dont step up, you can draft a CB next year to start right away.
[/quote]

I agree about BPA in general. There are only a couple positions (QB, OT) that you couldn't just take BPA.

That being said, I see a very glaring hole still at WR. That is going to be addressed early. I still see a pretty big need at RG. I think the D Line has some definite holes. Those could be addressed with low level FAs or mid-rounders, but an early pick there makes a ton of sense. Still could use some speed and big play ability at RB. LB has a lot of question marks. All of those spots are bigger needs than CB at this point.

I still think a dream scenario is to be able to trade down from 21 out of the 1st and pick up a couple #2s. In that case, you could draft D Line or OG at #17, just BPA and there should be a real talent there. Then with the 2nds, I think you can add a nice #2 WR and #1 RB. And with our own #2 go OG or D Line (whichever you didn't draft in the 1st).

Something like....Fletcher Cox, Rueben Randle, Doug Martin and Kevin Zeitler would be my "dream draft" if they could pull it off.

[quote name='mroby85' timestamp='1332471422' post='1110779']
I love Motherfucker Jones! lol, I'm really glad they re-signed him! I would assume its a 1 year deal, especially since he talked about looking forward to seeing bengal nation this year" in his tweets.
[/quote]

I'm hoping its a bit longer deal that doesn't have much money upfront. I like Pacman as a slot guy and he could be a decent option at that position for a few years.

[quote name='dabengals12' timestamp='1332473263' post='1110790']
Yay!!! 95% qb rating against. This blows. I wish he would have stuck to rasslin.
[/quote]

Not sure where that stat is coming from as qbs only completed 50% of passes on him for 1 td.

All this while missing a ton of games from a neck injury and probably coming back a little scared to make a hit.

He's as good as you are going to get for a number 4 CB.

[quote name='dabengals12' timestamp='1332473726' post='1110792']I have seen that stat a lot in the last week on countless threads here. And completion % and qb rating are 2 different animals.

Plus he is prone to dumb penalties because he is short.[/quote]

Didn't he only give up one td? He will probably be nickel anyways...not sure how this is disappointing to anyone besides his legal problems

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1332463871' post='1110698']

After seeing the free agents they have added, Wharton, Allen, and Green-Ellis, ALL known as high character guys, I really don't think they will take Jenkins.
[/quote]

They are high charecter and will stabalize locker room. If jenkins is there at 21 i dont see how they dont take him....he should be bpa by a mile. Not to mention we dont know how leon will rebound...clements in last year of deal...allen only signed for 2 and i think pacmans deal maybe only 1 or 2 years....i still see it as a need for future big time. Its a passing league and you can never have enough good corners.

[quote name='dabengals12' timestamp='1332473726' post='1110792']
I have seen that stat a lot in the last week on countless threads here. And completion % and qb rating are 2 different animals.

Plus he is prone to dumb penalties because he is short.
[/quote]

Not sure how 16 for 32 with 1 td would get any qb a passer rating of 95...one of the stats have to be wrong.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1332474306' post='1110796']

Not sure how 16 for 32 with 1 td would get any qb a passer rating of 95...one of the stats have to be wrong.
[/quote]

I thought that as well, but after a bit of playing around with a qb rating calculator it seems it could well be true - 16/32 for 315 yards with 1 TD and 0 INTs gives a rating of about 95.

[quote name='uniwildcat38' timestamp='1332474594' post='1110798']

I thought that as well, but after a bit of playing around with a qb rating calculator it seems it could well be true - 16/32 for 315 yards with 1 TD and 0 INTs gives a rating of about 95.
[/quote]

Either way I dont really give a shit about passer rating in that sense though. He started 7 games. That means over the course of 7 games they threw at him 4.5 times a game and he gave up 2.25 catches a game for 45 yards a game if those stats above are accurate. Thats not bad at all for a starting CB.

Archived