Aroldis Chapman

Jason

He either needs to be starting or closing. That inning he pitched was just nasty.

I'd rather see him in the rotation, but he is being wasted as an 8th inning guy. He is way too good for that. It really looks like he has matured since last season.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1333722654' post='1116144']
He either needs to be starting or closing. That inning he pitched was just nasty.

I'd rather see him in the rotation, but he is being wasted as an 8th inning guy. He is way too good for that. It really looks like he has matured since last season.
[/quote]

I think Marshall needs the be the closer no matter what.

For Aroldis, I've heard one good reasoning for him to not start right now. His arm isn't stretched out enough yet. If we put him in the rotation now, we'd have to shut him down by the end of the year. If we keep him limited now, he can start through the end of the year into the playoffs.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1333722654' post='1116144']

[/quote]

I don't agree at all. If he were starting the reds would likely have him on a pitch count, and he may end up not being useful down the stretch. By leaving him in the setup role he gets to be a factor in a lot of games, while making it easier to transition him out of the bullpen later on if they decide to put him in the rotation (Since we wouldn't have to replace our closer at that point). It also allows him to continue to refine his technique while not having the pressure of the closer role.

The best reds team I have had the pleasure of following (too young to really remember the machine) had 3 guys that were closers (Meyers, Charleton, Dibble).. Having a strong setup man basically shortens the game to 7 innings for the opposition, and it's a position I feel is pretty much as important as the closer.. Games can be lost in the 8th almost as easily as the 9th.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1333723426' post='1116149']
I say you bring him in at the 8th and if he's pitching lights out you leave him in. With as nasty as he is, 2 innings to him pitch wise is typically probably 1 normal inning for any other reliever we'd bring in.
[/quote]

Dusty would never go with it. He thinks only 1 person is allowed to close out a game.

[quote name='Egg Shen' timestamp='1333775775' post='1116477']
I think it stays like this until one of the starters hits the DL. As soon as one starting pitcher hits the DL, Aroldis will move into the starting rotation and Arredondo will take over as the setup man.
[/quote]
I think Chapman becomes a starter as soon as Massett comes off the DL.

The question is whether it's in Cincinnati or Louisville.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1337783317' post='1132137']
I still say he needs to be starting, but I'd rather he close than set up.
[/quote]

my concern with him as a closer is will he see less innings due to it not being a save situation? I want him pitching as many innings as possible.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1337783539' post='1132138']
my concern with him as a closer is will he see less innings due to it not being a save situation? I want him pitching as many innings as possible.
[/quote]

I want him impacting as many games as possible. He does that at the backend of the bullpen.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1337783539' post='1132138']
my concern with him as a closer is will he see less innings due to it not being a save situation? [b]I want him pitching as many innings as possible.[/b]
[/quote]

Agreed. Which is why I want him to start.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1337788158' post='1132152']
Agreed. Which is why I want him to start.
[/quote]

I even get concerned about him starting next year if nothing is done to extend his inning count this year. Chapman as the closer is a force and a mental edge but I worry about what it means for his development. I liked earlier in the year when he was left out to pitch 2 innings occasionally. Hopefully if there's a jam in the 8th Dusty won't hesitate to use Chapman to finish the 8th and pitch the 9th. It's a fine line to walk.... using him to most benefit the 2012 team while also developing him into a starter.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1337791244' post='1132158']
I see the value in developing him as a starter, but might we also be looking at a guy who could potentially be the most dominating closer of a generation?

Both have value...
[/quote]

They were making the argument when I was watching the game last night that he could be our mariano rivera

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1337791784' post='1132160']
They were making the argument when I was watching the game last night that he could be our mariano rivera
[/quote]

He could also be our Sandy Koufax.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1337792420' post='1132161']
He could also be our Sandy Koufax.
[/quote]

The question for me is do we have another guy on the roster or in the minors that could take over and be a good closer? Then who do you bump to make room for chapman in the rotation?

I'm not sure the move makes sense until Bronson's contract is up next year.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1337793877' post='1132168']

The question for me is do we have another guy on the roster or in the minors that could take over and be a good closer? Then who do you bump to make room for chapman in the rotation?

[/quote]

Agree. Unless there's an injury in the rotation AND Masset and bray come back healthy. Then I would consider it around the all star break.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1337793877' post='1132168']
The question for me is do we have another guy on the roster or in the minors that could take over and be a good closer? Then [b]who do you bump to make room for chapman in the rotation[/b]?

[/quote]

If Mike Leake continues to pitch the way he has, Homer. Make him the long man/spot starter for the rest of the year. As for closer, go with closer by committee. Go with match ups.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1337796161' post='1132179']
If Mike Leake continues to pitch the way he has, Homer. Make him the long man/spot starter for the rest of the year. [color=#ff0000]As for closer, go with closer by committee.[/color] Go with match ups.
[/quote]

Never really been a fan of that.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1337796325' post='1132180']
Never really been a fan of that.
[/quote]

But are you a fan of having another elite pitcher in the rotation?

What has more value, a dominant starter or a dominant closer?

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1337797908' post='1132187']

What has more value, a dominant starter or a dominant closer?
[/quote]

I think we have a good rotation now, and we dont have a good closer. Get us a good closer and I'd be ok with the move once a spot for him opens up.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1337797908' post='1132187']

[b]What has more value, a dominant starter or a dominant closer?[/b]
[/quote]

That's the $64,000 question. How many championships would the Wankees have won without Rivera?

I'm not pretending to know the answer, just glad I don't have to make the decision, and hope those that do make the correct choice...

Archived