Printers - Pondering large format printer or just replacement normal inkjet

So i have previously owned a canon 13 x 19" printer, i bought it probably 10 years ago, maybe more, it worked AMAZINGLY. it was an older model at the time, and i replaced the print head once due to being too clogged when i didnt use it for a year or so. its packed away somewhere, but I cant even find the thing online anywhere for parts or anything and it cant possibly be functioning properly in this dry weather after its 6th moving truck move.

I want to do the following:

Print on CD's(all high end printers will do this, no biggie) Need Level: 7(on 10pt scale)

Print 13 x 19" Need Level: 5

High quality photos: Need level: 3

Random paperwork or lot plans or blueprint type things(black only printing) Need Level: 6

I have seen and heard nothing but hell from HP, i figure im not going down that path

Canon, Epson, Kodak seems to be leading the charge. Never had much experience with lexmark good or bad.

Kodak doesnt do anything 13 x 19" in the consumer range printers, canon doesnt do anything under $300-500 these days.

Epson has a few consumer grade large formats for $200-350 range... but i cant find much as far as a "deal" on one...

I can get away with not doing the large format, i feel i might regret it later, i always liked it, its fun to have, but no HUGE need right now..

suggestions? am i forgetting any brands to check out? advice?

I had heard good things about the kodaks, but reading some reviews a few models have like 35% horrible reviews... so thats kind of a red flag..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1333764689' post='1116437']kinda like the looks of this one: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=C11CB59201&BV_UseBVCookie=yes#0[/quote]

I'd think about that one, or maybe something like the Canon [url="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-iX6520-Inkjet-Printer-4895B002/dp/B004HO58VQ"]iX6520[/url]. It looks like it might be the Epson printer, but with better photo inks (but also more expensive... Also not sure if it does the DVD printing stuff).

I have an old Canon 9000 workhorse for large format and photo printing. It's loud, slow, and just works. My photographer friend swears by his Epson large format printer, so that's good enough for me. He says the real thing is to find the ecosystem you're comfortable with (and can find), and stick with it. Canon printers make better prints on Canon papers. Epson papers are best with Epson printers and inks... Makes sense.

I've been intrigued by Kodak, but I've never bought one.

The biggest advice I can give is to warn you about my last printer mistake. I bought a Dell color Laser for the home office (love it, but wish I could figure out how to turn off rich black printing for the normal stuff. Burning through all that toner for printed emails sucks). When I bought it, I spent the extra money on the wireless version. Big mistake. I've spent hours and hours trying to get that setup properly only to turn off the wireless settings, plug it into the usb on the Router, and be done with it. Seems to me, Time Capsules, and Airports do a much better job at wireless printing than printer companies...

BTW, consider something like Printopia. I hate HP with the fire of a thousand suns, but wanted to be able to AirPrint from my iPhone or iPad. Since my desktop stays on all the time (and I'd bet yours does too, with the AppleTV and all), I bought Printopia ($20). It routes all printing through the desktop so you can AirPrint to any printer your desktop can print to.

i like the looks of that canon, i have always loved my canon. i think you may have the same canon as I do.. print head getting unfixibly clogged is my only issue, the print quality was always top notch...

i found that ix6250 for $159 online. so im probably making this purchase today with a little more research... thanks for the advice!

everyone who has it in stock for sure is $199, three places that say "call for availability" have it at $159... so im reading some more reviews and shopping around a bit...

whats frustrating, is i dont see that printer on canon website at all...

i did find it in the store when i searched the model, but not on the canonusa site sifting through printers. many places are showing it out of stock and not sure if itll get back in stock... staples by my house has one for $199. so $215 with tax.... not terrible... the instant gratification might be worth the extra expense...

looks like $180 is the cheapest i will find with tax/shipping... so $36 difference...

probably go get this tonight if nothing else changes...

Thanks again! ink on amazon seems affordable, real canon ink set was $45 for CMYK cartiges(4 pack obviously) and a two back of black is like $20..

Archived