Severe Computer Problems after Update

So my computer installed some updates this morning (Windows Vista) and now things are a mess. My internet is working at a beyond snails pace, and my computer overall is having major troubles. It took me 5 minutes just to open the page to create this topic. Probably 15 minutes to attach files and send an email (it timed out twice before sending).

Also having trouble with Excel and even Windows Task Manager and the Start Menu, and it took about 10 minutes for windows to boot up this morning when it usually takes less than 1. So it's not strictly an internet issue.

I'd think its my physical memory, but I'm not showing having used a lot.

Any suggestions? Is there a way to locate and deactivate the updates?

may wanna free up like 20-30 GB on the hard drive just to be safe.

if all else fails you can of course wipe the computer and install vista fresh and run the updates then.

while the issue was caused by doing the update, the update isnt the issue, your computer needs the updates, so undoing it is kind of a half ass fix. and may just cause other issues later..

save up $600 and buy a mac mini.... never look back..

ran disk defragmenter and disk cleanup while I was out and then re-started. Didn't help. Windows took 8 1/2 minutes to boot. Usualy takes 15-20 seconds.

Looks like the updates installed were updates and security updates for microsoft.net framework 4 client profile. also a few updates and security updates for microsoft windows and a hotfix for microsoft windows.

My computer did run windows repair yesterday (my computer froze in sleep mode and I had to manually shut down) but it was working fine when I turned it off last night.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1334279631' post='1118060']
Have you tried a system restore to a time prior to the updates?

And why are you waiting until you have problems to back your stuff up? :boese035:
[/quote]

ha, I back up the important stuff, but there's other stuff like music and stuff that I wanted to back up since I have the chance.

I spoke too soon on things being better. They're better, but not fixed.

Unfortunately it isn't letting me do a system restore. I stupidly didn't have any restore points set up.

To make matters worse, there's an unopened copy of Windows 7 Live somewhere in my office that is nowhere to be seen. Gave it to my wife for her to use, she never did, and now its vanished. Would solve my problems.

Gonna try to booth to the "last known good configuration".

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1334288632' post='1118083']
I'd recommend upgrading to W7, as Vista blows...
[/quote]

This. Was gonna say it yesterday but didn't have the heart!

Memory management, just everything about 7 is 1000% better than Vista. Vista is almost like Microsoft decided to try "something different" to see if it'd catch on and failed. Then, with 7 they took XP Pro, slimmed it down, scaled back the auto installables, improved the underlying OS management and released it.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1334316402' post='1118094']

This. Was gonna say it yesterday but didn't have the heart!

Memory management, just everything about 7 is 1000% better than Vista. Vista is almost like Microsoft decided to try "something different" to see if it'd catch on and failed. Then, with 7 they took XP Pro, slimmed it down, scaled back the auto installables, improved the underlying OS management and released it.
[/quote]

ha, no worries. Northing I didn't already know, just can't seem to find the damn disk, and don't want to have to buy it when I know there's a copy of it somewhere in my house. :lol:

Archived