Supreme Court Rules

Jason

Irony - the Ten Commandments are engraved on the walls of the Supreme Court building.

Link: [url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/27/AR2005062700416_pf.html"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...2700416_pf.html[/url]

Ten Commandments Disallowed in Courthouses
Supreme Court Rules, 5-4, That Such Religious Displays Violate the Separation of Church and State

The Associated Press
Monday, June 27, 2005; 10:11 AM

A split Supreme Court struck down Ten Commandments displays in courthouses Monday, ruling that two exhibits in Kentucky cross the line between separation of church and state because they promote a religious message.

The 5-4 decision was the first of two seeking to mediate the bitter culture war over religion's place in public life. In it, the court declined to prohibit all displays in court buildings or on government property. Justices left legal wiggle room, saying that some displays - like their own courtroom frieze - would be permissible if they're portrayed neutrally in order to honor the nation's legal history.

But framed copies in two Kentucky courthouses went too far in endorsing religion, the court held.

"The touchstone for our analysis is the principle that the First Amendment mandates government neutrality between religion and religion, and between religion and nonreligion," Justice David H. Souter wrote for the majority.

"When the government acts with the ostensible and predominant purpose of advancing religion, it violates tha central Establishment clause value of official religious neutrality," he said.

Souter was joined in his opinion by other members of the liberal bloc - Justices John Paul Stevens, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen G. Breyer, as well as Reagan appointee Sandra Day O'Connor, who provided the swing vote.

Guest BadassBengal

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Jun 27 2005, 10:41 AM']<sarcasm>
Way to go!! First school prayer, now this maybe by the time my kids have kids the use of the word God will get you arrested!!! Whoo hooo!!!
</sarcasm>

And we like to think were a tolerant society.  <_<
[right][post="107800"][/post][/right][/quote]

Agreed. The commandments aren't there to try to fucking make you a Christian or something. It's part of our country's history, and the basis on which our country was built on. Leave it up, muthafucks. It ain't hurtin anyone...

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Jun 27 2005, 11:45 AM']Agreed. The commandments aren't there to try to fucking [b]make you a Christian or something[/b]. It's part of our country's history, and the basis on which our country was built on. Leave it up, muthafucks. It ain't hurtin anyone...
[right][post="107801"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Especially since they were given to the Jews.

So how is [b]Congress[/b] making a law regarding establishment of a religion by [b]courthouses[/b] having a list of commandments that are accepted by [b]at least 2 religions[/b]?

Guest bengalrick

i think it is fair to post the actual ruling:

[url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/27/AR2005062700416_pf.html"]washingtonpost.com[/url]

[quote][b]High Court Disallows Ten Commandments in Courthouses[/b]
[b]In Separate Decision, Justices Uphold Displays on Government Land[/b]

By HOPE YEN
The Associated Press
Monday, June 27, 2005; 11:59 AM

WASHINGTON -- [b]A sharply divided Supreme Court on Monday upheld the constitutionality of displaying the Ten Commandments on government land, but drew the line on displays inside courthouses, saying they violated the doctrine of separation of church and state.[/b]

The court ended its term Monday with no retirement announcements from any justices. Speculation focused on Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, who has thyroid cancer, and is widely believed to be considering retirement.

Sending dual signals in ruling on the separation of church and state for the first time in a quarter-century, the high court said that displays of the Ten Commandments _ like their own courtroom frieze _ are not inherently unconstitutional. But each exhibit demands scrutiny to determine whether it goes too far in amounting to a governmental promotion of religion, the court said in a case involving Kentucky courthouse exhibits.

[b]In effect, the court said it was taking the position that issues of Ten Commandments displays in courthouses should be resolved on a case-by-case basis.[/b]

In that 5-4 ruling and another decision involving the positioning of a 6-foot granite monument of the Ten Commandments on the grounds of the Texas capitol, Justice Sandra Day O'Connor was the swing vote. The second ruling, likewise, was by a 5-4 margin.

[b]Justice Antonin Scalia released a stinging dissent in the courthouse case, declaring, "What distinguishes the rule of law from the dictatorship of a shifting Supreme Court majority is the absolutely indispensable requirement that judicial opinions be grounded in consistently applied principle."[/b] [i](scalia knows what he is talking about)[/i]

The justices voting on the prevailing side in the Kentucky case left themselves legal wiggle room, saying that some displays inside courthouses _ like their own courtroom frieze _ would be permissible if they're portrayed neutrally in order to honor the nation's legal history.

But framed copies in two Kentucky courthouses went too far in endorsing religion, the court held. Those courthouse displays are unconstitutional, the justices said, because their religious content is overemphasized.

In contrast, a 6-foot-granite monument on the grounds of the Texas Capitol _ one of 17 historical displays on the 22-acre lot _ was determined to be a legitimate tribute to the nation's legal and religious history.

"Of course, the Ten Commandments are religious _ they were so viewed at their inception and so remain. The monument therefore has religious significance," Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist wrote for the majority in the case involving the display outside the state capitol of Texas.

"Simply having religious content or promoting a message consistent with a religious doctrine does not run afoul of the Establishment clause," he said.

[b]Rehnquist was joined in his opinion by Scalia, and Justices Anthony Kennedy and Clarence Thomas. Justice Stephen G. Breyer filed a separate opinion concurring in the result.[/b] [i](just noting who has brains in the supreme court...)[/i]

The rulings were the court's first major statement on the Ten Commandments since 1980, when justices barred their display in public schools. But the high court's split verdict leaves somewhat unsettled the role of religion in American society, a question that has become a flashpoint in U.S. politics.

"While the court correctly rejects the challenge to the Ten Commandments monument on the Texas Capitol grounds, a more fundamental rethinking of our Establishment Clause jurisprudence remains in order," Thomas wrote in a separate opinion.

Dissenting in the Texas case, Justice John Paul Stevens argued the display was an improper government endorsement of religion. Stevens noted in large letters the monument proclaims 'I AM the LORD thy God.'"

"The sole function of the monument on the grounds of Texas' State Capitol is to display the full text of one version of the Ten Commandments," Stevens wrote.

"The monument is not a work of art and does not refer to any event in the history of the state," Stevens wrote. "The message transmitted by Texas' chosen display is quite plain: This state endorses the divine code of the Judeo-Christian God."

Justices O'Connor, David H. Souter and Ruth Bader Ginsburg also dissented.

The case was one of two heard by the Supreme Court in March involving Ten Commandments displays, in a courtroom boasting a wall carving of Moses holding the sacred tablets.

In Texas, the Fraternal Order of Eagles donated the exhibit to the state in 1961, and it was installed about 75 feet from the Capitol in Austin. The group gave thousands of similar monuments to American towns during the 1950s and '60s.

Thomas Van Orden, a former lawyer who is now homeless, challenged the display in 2002. He lost twice in the lower courts in holdings the Supreme Court affirmed Monday.

Meanwhile in Kentucky, two counties originally hung the copies of the Ten Commandments in their courthouses. After the [b]ACLU[/b] :angry:   filed suit, the counties modified their displays to add other documents demonstrating "America's Christian heritage," including the national motto of "In God We Trust" and a version of the Congressional Record declaring 1983 the "Year of the Bible."

When a federal court ruled those displays had the effect of endorsing religion, the counties erected a third Ten Commandments display with surrounding documents such as the Bill of Rights and Star-Spangled Banner to highlight their role in "our system of law and government."

The Cincinnati-based 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeal subsequently struck down the third display as a "sham" for the religious intent behind it.

[b]Ten Commandments displays are supported by a majority of Americans, according to an AP-Ipsos poll. The poll taken in late February found that 76 percent support it and 23 percent oppose it.[/b] [i](though, you'd never know it, reading this board at times <_< )[/i]

The case is McCreary County v. ACLU, 03-1693.[/quote]

Guest bengalrick

i find it extremely ironic that these judges are trying to preserve our consitution, and in doing this, they are going to have to take down some of the symbols that those same founders hung in their days... what the fuck!?! :huh: [url="http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/capital.asp"]snopes.com[/url]

interesting history in there... the founders were brilliant in even making all these statues and plaques look like the 10 commandmetns, but don't necessarily represent them... therefore, they can't take them down...

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Jun 27 2005, 12:39 PM']i find it extremely ironic that these judges are trying to preserve our consitution, and in doing this, they are going to have to take down some of the symbols that those same founders hung in their days... what the fuck!?! :huh:   [url="http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/capital.asp"]snopes.com[/url]

interesting history in there... the founders were brilliant in even making all these statues and plaques look like the 10 commandmetns, but don't necessarily represent them... therefore, they can't take them down...
[right][post="107844"][/post][/right][/quote]

I think that is why they said "Case by Case basis".

[quote name='Ben' date='Jun 27 2005, 02:14 PM']I think that is why they said "Case by Case basis".
[right][post="107870"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

A sharply divided Supreme Court on Monday upheld the constitutionality of displaying the Ten Commandments on government land, but drew the line on displays inside courthouses, saying they violated the doctrine of separation of church and state.

[url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/27/AR2005062700416_pf.html"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...2700416_pf.html[/url]

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]10 commandments banned from Courthouses[/quote]

[img]http://img288.echo.cx/img288/7459/applause9cn.gif[/img][img]http://img288.echo.cx/img288/7459/applause9cn.gif[/img]
[img]http://img288.echo.cx/img288/7459/applause9cn.gif[/img][img]http://img288.echo.cx/img288/7459/applause9cn.gif[/img]

[b]Now lets get those Nativity scenes out of public space, all the crosses off the buildings, stop using the bible in court, get god off the money, get God out of the pledge, get prayer out of schools, and we may start to grow as a society.

[i]"Hanging the 10 commandments in the classrooms may have worked in 12th century Turkey, but not anymore"[/b][/i]

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Jun 27 2005, 05:09 PM'][size=7][/size]
[b]Now lets get those Nativity scenes out of public space, all the crosses off the buildings, stop using the bible in court, get god off the money, get God out of the pledge, get prayer out of schools, and we may start to grow as a society. 

[i]"Hanging the 10 commandments in the classrooms may have worked in 12th century Turkey, but not anymore"[/b][/i]
[right][post="107925"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

If by "grow" you mean grow into a nation full of bigots who preach intolerance towards believers then yeah well "grow" [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/33.gif[/img]

Both sides can be very intolerant to each other and this is just goverment endorsed bigotry.

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]Ten Commandments displays are supported by a majority of Americans, according to an AP-Ipsos poll. The poll taken in late February found that 76 percent support it and 23 percent oppose it. (though, you'd never know it, reading this board at times)[/quote]

[b]Never underestimate the power of dumb people in large groups ....

at one time a majority of Americans thought it was ok to
- Own Slaves
- Not allow blacks to share swimming pools and water fountians
- not allow women to vote
- commit genocide on Indians
- burn "witches"
etc etc etc etc etc
[/b]

[i]"Three quarters of the American population literally believe in religious miracles. The numbers who believe in the devil, in resurrection, in God doing this and that -- it's astonishing. These numbers aren't duplicated anywhere else in the industrial world. You'd have to maybe go to mosques in Iran or do a poll among old ladies in Sicily to get numbers like this. Yet this is the American population."
--- Noam Chomsky[/i]

[i]"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it."
--- John Adams

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--- Stephen Roberts[/i]

Guest bengalrick

"Now lets get those Nativity scenes out of public space, all the crosses off the buildings, stop using the bible in court, get god off the money, get God out of the pledge, get prayer out of schools, and we may start to grow as a society. "

we haven't progressed as a country??? :blink:

"Never underestimate the power of dumb people in large groups ...."

so b/c you are part of the 23 percent, the other 76 percent are stupid... doesn't that sound... stupid...

funny how their arguement is freedom of speech/religion, yet whenever religion is brought up in any context, that freedom of religion is gone all the sudden...

we just unzipped our pants, and pissed all over most of our founders graves... good job america <_<

My intent isn't to turn this into a Pro-Christian; Anit-Christian thread with you BJ... I just ask that you understand that we should be representing the people and not discriminating against them, (yes I’m ok with other faiths being represented as well) this ruling is a start in which people who do believe will not be allowed to have their beliefs made public. It's Government endorsed discrimination, I would never ask that your rights to speak out against religion in the public square be taken away, and I would hope you would have the same basic respect for me to be able to speak out for it, whether you believe in a God or not.

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]My intent isn't to turn this into a Pro-Christian; Anit-Christian thread with you BJ... I just ask that you understand that we should be representing the people and not discriminating against them, (yes I’m ok with other faiths being represented as well) this ruling is a start in which people who do believe will not be allowed to have their beliefs made public. It's Government endorsed discrimination, I would never ask that your rights to speak out against religion in the public square be taken away, and I would hope you would have the same basic respect for me to be able to speak out for it, whether you believe in a God or not.[/quote]

[color="blue"][i][b]I feel that faith should be something that is internal, and private. It is not necessary to share with others why you feel we are here, or what happens when we die. That is why "faith" is ok. but Religion is destructive, and a curse upon the world that we haven't gotten rid of yet. Christianity needs to go in the same pile of excrement that we have already thrown Zues, the Sun God, and the Egyptian Gods Ra and Sha. If historians want to refer to the fact that at one time (goat herders in the middle of the desert, followed a crazy man who claimed he walked up a moutain, talked to a burning bush, and was given tablets from God of the rules of life) , and that this as with many things was a myth of people non educated enough to know the difference then fine.

However I do have a problem with "In God we trust" on Coins. It is speaking for everyone, but some of us don't trust in God. If it said "Some trust in God" that would be Ok I guess.

Now why would churches be opposed to faith being a private internal matter.... well have you ever seen some of these gotty ass cathedrals? Also it them becomes harder to lobby politicians, have public access TV shows to dupe retards, etc etc

And don't even get me started on the Nativity scene ?[/b][/i][/color]

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Jun 27 2005, 05:42 PM'][color="blue"][i][b]I feel that faith should be something that is internal, and private.  It is not necessary to share with others why you feel we are here, or what happens when we die.  That is why "faith" is ok. but Religion is destructive, and a curse upon the world that we haven't gotten rid of yet.  Christianity needs to go in the same pile of excrement that we have already thrown Zues, the Sun God, and the Egyptian Gods Ra and Sha.  If historians want to refer to the fact that at one time (goat herders in the middle of the desert, followed a crazy man who claimed he walked up a moutain, talked to a burning bush, and was given tablets from God of the rules of life) , and that this as with many things was a myth of people non educated enough to know the difference then fine. 

However I do have a problem with "In God we trust" on Coins.  It is speaking for everyone, but some of us don't trust in God.  If it said "Some trust in God" that would be Ok I guess.

Now why would churches be opposed to faith being a private internal matter.... well have you ever seen some of these gotty ass cathedrals?  Also it them becomes harder to lobby politicians, have public access TV shows to dupe retards, etc etc
And don't even get me started on the Nativity scene ?[/b][/i][/color]
[right][post="107944"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
problem is your not anti religion, your anti christian. Just read your post, not once do you mention anything other than christianity. There is no specific religion mentioned in an of the "In God we trust" or one nation under god. It doesnt say catholic god or jewish god or islamic god, its open to each persons interpretation. If you dont like it, dont look at it.

Lets analyze your screen name, huh includes the word jesus---a christian figurehead. What does that say, you are implying marvin lewis is the savior (which many people on this board have said over and over) so logically that means that jesus was the savior of something. So im not really sure how your stance on religion goes together with this. Explain how you can call marvin lewis blackjesus and imply he is the savior and not have any direct corellation to christianity and ill never post one word about religion on here again.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='whodey319' date='Jun 27 2005, 04:55 PM'][b]problem is your not anti religion, your anti christian.  Just read your post, not once do you mention anything other than christianity.  There is no specific religion mentioned in an of the "In God we trust" or one nation under god. It doesnt say catholic god or jewish god or islamic god, its open to each persons interpretation.  If you dont like it, dont look at it.[/b]

Lets analyze your screen name,  huh includes the word jesus---a christian figurehead.  What does that say, you are implying marvin lewis is the savior (which many people on this board have said over and over) so logically that means that jesus was the savior of something.  So im not really sure how your stance on religion goes together with this.  Explain how you can call marvin lewis blackjesus and imply he is the savior and not have any direct corellation to christianity and ill never post one word about religion on here again.
[right][post="107951"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

very well put...

I realize you have a vile contempt for Religion and I understand your reasons for it, and to some extent I can share in that contempt for the false profits and Pharisees of it, but not in the contempt for the Religion. You share your experiences of being in Africa because it changed you as a person and made you see things in a completely different way, you have opened my eyes to some things I hadn’t thought of or been privileged to see. I would never take away from you the right to express yourself based on these experiences, you have the ability to teach the masses from them. I share my experiences as someone who has accepted Christ, but studied other religions and have a basic respect for them, it too has changed me as a person. While it is my commandment to share my faith, I don’t do so to preach or tell others they have to share that, that is the choice of each person, but please do not ask me not to share my experiences based in my faith, it would be the same as if I asked you to not share yours.

Guest steggyD
Yeah, BJ. Call us dumb people. That will help your cause. You self-righteous jackass. There are so many things to worry about in our world today, such as houses being taken by a business, because they want it. And you are worried about some harmless displays? Let's compare it to genocide of native americans.

Genocide of Native Americans = Ten Commandments displayed in Courthouse

That's BJ's logic.

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]problem is your not anti religion, your anti christian.  Just read your post, not once do you mention anything other than christianity.  There is no specific religion mentioned in an of the "In God we trust" or one nation under god. It doesnt say catholic god or jewish god or islamic god, its open to each persons interpretation.  If you dont like it, dont look at it.

Lets analyze your screen name,  huh includes the word jesus---a christian figurehead.  What does that say, you are implying marvin lewis is the savior (which many people on this board have said over and over) so logically that means that jesus was the savior of something.  So im not really sure how your stance on religion goes together with this.  Explain how you can call marvin lewis blackjesus and imply he is the savior and not have any direct corellation to christianity and ill never post one word about religion on here again.[/quote]

[i][b]I am anti all Religion.... Muslims follow Muhammed who had 16 wives one as young as 9 years old. He killed and pillaged most of Saudi Arabia and then called on Holy Wars to do the same. (Much like most of the Old Testament) that Jews and Christians follow. I hate menorahs, mosques, buddah statues, Hindu God displays etc etc etc etc etc The one that alwasy comes up however is Christianity in this country and they are usually the most obnoxious when it comes to "converting" others.....

As for the Name BlackJesus[/b][/i]

I use it because Players for the Bengals began to call Marvin "BlackJesus" because he was resurrecting the team. I also love the irony that 1. Whites have morphed their Jesus into a hippie looking white guy, when there is evidence that a person in that area at the time would have looked middle eastern or arab.

[u]AS FOR THE NAME "JESUS"[/u]
The archetypal Jewish hero was Joshua (the successor of Moses) otherwise known as Yeshua ben Nun (‘Jesus of the fish’). Since the name Jesus (Yeshua or Yeshu in Hebrew, Ioshu in Greek, source of the English spelling) originally was a title (meaning ‘savior’, derived from ‘Yahweh Saves’) almost every band in the Jewish resistance had its own hero figure sporting this moniker, among others.

Josephus, the first century Jewish historian mentions no fewer than nineteen different Yeshuas/Jesii, about half of them contemporaries of the supposed Christ! In his Antiquities, of the twenty-eight high priests who held office from the reign of Herod the Great to the fall of the Temple, no fewer than four bore the name Jesus: Jesus ben Phiabi, Jesus ben Sec, Jesus ben Damneus and Jesus ben Gamaliel. Even Saint Paul makes reference to a rival magician, preaching ‘another Jesus’ (2 Corinthians 11,4).

[u]Early Jesuses include:[/u]

[b]Jesus ben Sirach[/b] --- This Jesus was reputedly the author of the Book of Sirach (aka 'Ecclesiasticus, or the Wisdom of Jesus the Son of Sirach'), part of Old Testament Apocrypha. Ben Sirach, writing in Greek about 180 BC, brought together Jewish 'wisdom' and Homeric-style heroes.

[b]Jesus ben Pandira[/b] --- A wonder-worker during the reign of Alexander Jannaeus (106-79 BC), one of the most ruthless of the Maccabean kings. Imprudently, this Jesus launched into a career of end-time prophesy and agitation which upset the king. He met his own premature end-time by being hung on a tree – and on the eve of a Passover. Scholars have speculated this Jesus founded the Essene sect before the “actual” popularized version of Jesus ever existed.

[b]
Jesus ben Ananias[/b] --- Beginning in 62AD, this Jesus had caused disquiet in Jerusalem with a non-stop doom-laden mantra of ‘Woe to the city’. He prophesied rather vaguely:
"A voice from the east, a voice from the west, a voice from the four winds, a voice against Jerusalem and the holy house, a voice against the bridegrooms and the brides, and a voice against the whole people."
(Josephus, Wars 6:3)
Arrested and flogged by the Romans, he was released as nothing more dangerous than a mad man. He died during the siege of Jerusalem from a rock hurled by a Roman catapult.

[b]Jesus ben Saphat[/b] --- In the insurrection of 68AD that wrought havoc in Galilee, this Jesus had led the rebels in Tiberias. When the city was about to fall to Vespasian’s legionaries he fled north to Tarichea on the Sea of Galilee.
Jesus ben Gamala --- During 68/69 AD this Jesus was a leader of the ‘peace party’ in the civil war wrecking Judea. From the walls of Jerusalem he had remonstrated with the besieging Idumeans (led by ‘James and John, sons of Susa’). It did him no good. When the Idumeans breached the walls he was put to death and his body thrown to the dogs and carrion birds.

[b]Jesus ben Thebuth[/b] --- A priest who, in the final capitulation of the upper city in 69AD, saved his own skin by surrendering the treasures of the Temple, which included two holy candlesticks, goblets of pure gold, sacred curtains and robes of the high priests. The booty figured prominently in the Triumph held for Vespasian and his son Titus.

[b]Jesus ben Stada[/b] --- was a Judean agitator who gave the Romans a headache in the early years of the second century. He met his end in the town of Lydda (twenty five miles from Jerusalem) at the hands of a Roman crucifixion crew.

Sorry to insert research into this...............

[i][color="purple"]"Oh fuck Jesus saves, falls out of chair with the living power [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img] "[/color][/i]

BJ,

If you don't like religion, don't practice it, but don't tell me I can't, and in the public square if I so choose. The PRIMARY TENANT of the Christian faith is to tell others about it. If you don't like it, don't listen, don't believe, but it is my RIGHT to practice it if I choose.

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Jun 27 2005, 06:10 PM'][i][b]I am anti all Religion.... Muslims follow Muhammed who had 16 wives one as young as 9 years old.  He killed and pillaged most of Saudi Arabia and then called on Holy Wars to do the same.  (Much like most of the Old Testament) that Jews and Christians follow. I hate menorahs, mosques, buddah statues, Hindu God displays etc etc etc etc etc The one that alwasy comes up however is Christianity in this country and they are usually the most obnoxious when it comes to "converting" others.....
As for the Name BlackJesus[/b][/i]

[b]I use it because Players for the Bengals began to call Marvin "BlackJesus" because he was resurrecting the team.  I also love the irony that 1. Whites have morphed their Jesus into a hippie looking white guy, when there is evidence that a person in that area at the time would have looked middle eastern or arab. [/b] 
[u]AS FOR THE NAME "JESUS"[/u]
The archetypal Jewish hero was Joshua (the successor of Moses) otherwise known as Yeshua ben Nun (‘Jesus of the fish’).  Since the name Jesus (Yeshua or Yeshu in Hebrew, Ioshu in Greek, source of the English spelling) originally was a title (meaning ‘savior’, derived from ‘Yahweh Saves’) almost every band in the Jewish resistance had its own hero figure sporting this moniker, among others.

Josephus, the first century Jewish historian mentions no fewer than nineteen different Yeshuas/Jesii, about half of them contemporaries of the supposed Christ! In his Antiquities, of the twenty-eight high priests who held office from the reign of Herod the Great to the fall of the Temple, no fewer than four bore the name Jesus: Jesus ben Phiabi, Jesus ben Sec, Jesus ben Damneus and Jesus ben Gamaliel. Even Saint Paul makes reference to a rival magician, preaching ‘another Jesus’ (2 Corinthians 11,4).

[u]Early Jesuses include:[/u]

[b]Jesus ben Sirach[/b] --- This Jesus was reputedly the author of the Book of Sirach (aka 'Ecclesiasticus, or the Wisdom of Jesus the Son of Sirach'), part of Old Testament Apocrypha.  Ben Sirach, writing in Greek about 180 BC, brought together Jewish 'wisdom' and Homeric-style heroes.

[b]Jesus ben Pandira[/b] --- A wonder-worker during the reign of Alexander Jannaeus (106-79 BC), one of the most ruthless of the Maccabean kings. Imprudently, this Jesus launched into a career of end-time prophesy and agitation which upset the king.  He met his own premature end-time by being hung on a tree – and on the eve of a Passover. Scholars have speculated this Jesus founded the Essene sect before the “actual” popularized version of Jesus ever existed.

[b]
Jesus ben Ananias[/b] --- Beginning in 62AD, this Jesus had caused disquiet in Jerusalem with a non-stop doom-laden mantra of ‘Woe to the city’. He prophesied rather vaguely:
"A voice from the east, a voice from the west, a voice from the four winds, a voice against Jerusalem and the holy house, a voice against the bridegrooms and the brides, and a voice against the whole people."
(Josephus, Wars 6:3)
Arrested and flogged by the Romans, he was released as nothing more dangerous than a mad man. He died during the siege of Jerusalem from a rock hurled by a Roman catapult.

[b]Jesus ben Saphat[/b] --- In the insurrection of 68AD that wrought havoc in Galilee, this Jesus had led the rebels in Tiberias. When the city was about to fall to Vespasian’s legionaries he fled north to Tarichea on the Sea of Galilee.
Jesus ben Gamala --- During 68/69 AD this Jesus was a leader of the ‘peace party’ in the civil war wrecking Judea. From the walls of Jerusalem he had remonstrated with the besieging Idumeans (led by ‘James and John, sons of Susa’). It did him no good. When the Idumeans breached the walls he was put to death and his body thrown to the dogs and carrion birds.

[b]Jesus ben Thebuth[/b] --- A priest who, in the final capitulation of the upper city in 69AD, saved his own skin by surrendering the treasures of the Temple, which included two holy candlesticks, goblets of pure gold, sacred curtains and robes of the high priests. The booty figured prominently in the Triumph held for Vespasian and his son Titus.

[b]Jesus ben Stada[/b] --- was a Judean agitator who gave the Romans a headache in the early years of the second century. He met his end in the town of Lydda (twenty five miles from Jerusalem) at the hands of a Roman crucifixion crew.
Sorry to insert research into this...............

[i][color="purple"]"Oh fuck Jesus saves, falls out of chair with the living power  [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img]   [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img] "[/color][/i]
[right][post="107961"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
first sentence says it all and the rest is bullshit. So basically your whole explanation is that some bengals players called marvin that, so you do too but dont intend for it to be in the same context as they do because they are obviously using it in the religious sense. As for your other bullshit about race, lets "insert some research" into this as you say.

1. No one claims to know what Jesus looks like
2. you acknowledge his existance and never say he didnt exist
3. jesus looks like whatever the eye of the beholder thinks he looks like. Your perceived white hippie is because all pictres the western world know him as are from churches controlled by white men. I know many black people that think he's black, and many women that think its a she. Ive also seen pictures of him with darker skin and thats how i perceive him.

You also list several people with the name Jesus which have nothing to do with this topic. The obvious nature of the situation says that it is a reference to jesus christ, the christian son of god. The mexian who cuts my dads grass is named Jesus and i doubt the name you give marvin lewis is because of him. Thank you for a page of bullshit that only you believe.

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Jun 27 2005, 09:09 PM'][size=7][/size]

[right][post="107925"][/post][/right][/quote]

Do you not understand the importance of a society with fears of a supreme being? I think its a good thing that some may be better citizens being scared of hell!

I say put the ten commandments at every street corner, every school and preach the hell out of it (no pun intended :D )

Guest BlackJesus

[quote]first sentence says it all and the rest is bullshit. So basically your whole explanation is that some bengals players called marvin that, so you do too but dont intend for it to be in the same context as they do because they are obviously using it in the religious sense.[/quote]

[i][b]
Yeah they used the name BlackJesus for Marvin...... I also like the name because I like Marvin much more than "Jesus".... Nobody has killed others in the name of Marvin or wiped out towns because Marvin said so..... Also Marvin is factual and real, I can see him and hear him.... Jesus is made up, and most likely never existed, if he did he had psychophrenia and would be the type of people who are now homeless in a park. [/b][/i]

[quote]As for your other bullshit about race, lets "insert some research" into this as you say.

1. No one claims to know what Jesus looks like
2. you acknowledge his existance and never say he didnt exist
3. jesus looks like whatever the eye of the beholder thinks he looks like. Your perceived white hippie is because all pictres the western world know him as are from churches controlled by white men. I know many black people that think he's black, and many women that think its a she. Ive also seen pictures of him with darker skin and thats how i perceive him.[/quote]

[i][b]White Christians always depict Jesus as White. Mel Gibson cast a fucking white guy to play jesus, had a black guy played him "The Passion" wouldn't have nearly the amount of money. And no Jesus doesn't look like whatever the beholder thinks what kind of idiotic stupid shit is that. He was obvioulsy a male (if you believe the bible) and he was (Jewish) ...... You can't say you believe the bible and then also think he was a Jamican Drag Queen....[/b][/i]

[quote]You also list several people with the name Jesus which have nothing to do with this topic. The obvious nature of the situation says that it is a reference to jesus christ, the christian son of god. The mexian who cuts my dads grass is named Jesus and i doubt the name you give marvin lewis is because of him. Thank you for a page of bullshit that only you believe.[/quote]

[i][b]Are you fucking kidding me, these are people who were also seen as the "Messiah" ...... and some were killed in the same manner. The point is that the Jesus christians follow was most likely a fraud if he even existed at all, and they were common in those days, some idiots just started carving his image into buildings and chopping penis skin <_< [/b][/i]

Guest BengalBacker
I don't hate religious people. I don't hate religion. It simply has no place in our government. Anywhere in any form.

Archived