!!!!!WITH THE 27TH PICK THE BENGALS SELECT RG KEVIN ZEITLER!!!!!

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1335500348' post='1123377']

Yes. And they passed him over 2x. So obviously they didn't think as highly of him as some of you do. You do understand that as well, right?
[/quote]

well let's sit back and look at this from a different perspective, just to be fair, with no homerism involved, ok?

the pitsburgh steelers are recognized as a pretty astute organization in regards to making good draft choices year after year. you could even say they're an organization that prides itself on building through the draft. would you agree with me there? would you also agree that team has made some pretty good selections of late with offensive line picks?

that very same team had the same decision we had, yet chose the universally higher rated player in DDC. i doubt they had any second thoughts in doing so, either.

when you look at the two team's histories, by comparison, i'd like to be able to say we draft as well as our competitors have, but i don't think i could reasonably make that claim. this in spite of the fact that we have traditionally, almost every year, drafted at a significantly higher position than they have.

it's something to think about, if your truly willing to look at the two choices objectively.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1335501119' post='1123400']

well let's sit back and look at this from a different perspective, just to be fair, with no homerism involved, ok?

the pitsburgh steelers are recognized as a pretty astute organization in regards to making good draft choices year after year. you could even say they're an organization that prides itself on building through the draft. would you agree with me there? would you also agree that team has made some pretty good selections of late with offensive line picks?

that very same team had the same decision we had, yet chose the universally higher rated player in DDC. i doubt they had any second thoughts in doing so, either.

when you look at the team's histories. by comparison, i'd like to be able to say we draft as well as our competitors have, but i don't think i could reasonably make that claim. this in spite of the fact that we have traditionally, almost every year, drafted at a significantly higher position than they have.

it's something to think about, if your truely willing to look at the two choices objectively.
[/quote]

Actually, their OL has been a weakness for some time. Ben gets hit a lot, and they open creases instead of power running. Decastro fits into both strategies perfectly.

"would you also agree that team has made some pretty good selections of late with offensive line picks?"

When it comes to offensive line picks by the Steelers since they lost their Oline coach when Tomlin took over, I would say they have sucked at picking and developing Oline men.....

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1335501311' post='1123404']

Actually, their OL has been a weakness for some time. Ben gets hit a lot, and they open creases instead of power running. Decastro fits into both strategies perfectly.
[/quote]

ben gets hit a lot because he'll wait until the very last minute for an opening to create itself, challenging defenses to try to get him sacked. don't be so quick to look at figures and assess that on his linemen. that's just the way that offense operates.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1335501534' post='1123409']

ben gets hit a lot because he'll wait until the very last minute for an opening to create itself, challenging defenses to try to get him sacked. don't be so quick to look at figures and assess that on his linemen. that's just the way that offense operates.
[/quote]

Look, the coaches hate Ben just as much as we do. They aren't idiots.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1335501534' post='1123409']

[/quote]

OK. We will agree to disagree. You: the Bengals fucked up. Me: Bengals did a great job, got the guy they wanted, and another pick they can use to move up in the second round if they so choose to...

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1335501396' post='1123406']
"would you also agree that team has made some pretty good selections of late with offensive line picks?"

When it comes to offensive line picks by the Steelers since they lost their Oline coach when Tomlin took over, I would say they have sucked at picking and developing Oline men.....
[/quote]

Quiet, please! Steeler nut-swinging in progress!

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1335501119' post='1123400']

when you look at the two team's histories, by comparison, i'd like to be able to say we draft as well as our competitors have, but i don't think i could reasonably make that claim. this in spite of the fact that we have traditionally, almost every year, drafted at a significantly higher position than they have.

it's something to think about, if your truly willing to look at the two choices objectively.[/quote]

The steelers have missed on OL in the first round in recent years. Kendal Simmons and Jamain Stevens were both huge first round busts. Although Pouncey was a good, but slightly overrated, pick.

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1335501396' post='1123406']

[/quote]

if that's your stance, i'll leave you to think that way, since we're so far apart in our beliefs. i think they've done pretty well both in recognizing top talents and getting the most out of their lower level picks. this aside from injuries, of course.

i'll allow you the right to think paul alexander's done a better job than them. that's certainly your perogative.

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1335501680' post='1123415']

OK. We will agree to disagree. You: the Bengals fucked up. Me: Bengals did a great job, got the guy they wanted, and another pick they can use to move up in the second round if they so choose to...
[/quote]

you didn't listen to my words very well. i didn't say they fucked up. i said they made a good trade that they need that #93 to hit on. i also said that all things being equal, the steelers chose decastro over zeitler, which i would have done as well. there's a helluva difference in those two statements!

I said the day that Palmer was dwelt that if we got nothing else out of the 2012 and 2013 drafts/free agency, I wanted to see us rebuild the OLine. I think Zeitler may be the final piece.

Starters:

OC Kyle Cook
LG Travelle Wharton
RG Kevin Zeitler
LT Andrew Whitworth
RT Andre Smith

Top Reserves:

Jacob Bell
Clint Boling
Anthony Collins

Fighting for the last spot:

Otis Hudson
Matt O'Donnell
Dennis Roland

Not too shabby. A definite upgrade, IMO.

[quote name='snarkster' timestamp='1335503395' post='1123430']
I said the day that Palmer was dwelt that if we got nothing else out of the 2012 and 2013 drafts/free agency, I wanted to see us rebuild the OLine. I think Zeitler may be the final piece.

Starters:

OC Kyle Cook
LG Travelle Wharton
RG Kevin Zeitler
LT Andrew Whitworth
RT Andre Smith

Top Reserves:

Jacob Bell
Clint Boling
Anthony Collins

Fighting for the last spot:

Otis Hudson
Matt O'Donnell
Dennis Roland

Not too shabby. A definite upgrade, IMO.
[/quote]

i'd probably rate hudson higher than bell. i have my doubts he'll even make the team.

I strongly urge anyone who hasn't watched this video to check out our new RG. Dominant. He's very good at pulling and actually locating and engaging his man (I was through with all of the whiffing we had the last few years), he routinely fires off the line and drives his man five yards deep, he never loses his feet, and he frequently plants his man into the turf. One of those was Devon Still, who many had as a 1st round caliber DT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phahBI8uxKw

i can grow to like this pick, you couldn't really go wrong with him DDC or glenn, i'm just glad we grabbed one and didn't do anymore of this 5th round project bull crap that rarely works for us lately, look our two best linemen on the team are whit and andre, a 2nd and 1st rounders, there's a reason there's people at the top and people at the bottom of prospect lists and we'd been digging for the bottom trying to find a diamond for the interior o-line for too long

Archived