!!!!!WITH THE 53 PICK THE BENGALS SELECT DT DEVON STILL!!!!!

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335655277' post='1126535']

watching the video now. IMO Still handled it very well.
[/quote]

Yes he did and that was very impressive. And you really have to watch it and not read the transcript to appreciate what a douche line of questioning by Reedy. Lapham should have bitched slapped little fuck head.....

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1335655993' post='1126546']
Asked reedy about it on twitter and he responded to me by saying its not his job to lay out a welcome mat. Reedy just always comes off as a douche
[/quote]

No it's not his job, but his job isnt to be a gigantic douche either.

[b]Notes: Still won't baby Steelers; Report says Bengals get Burfict; WR insurance[/b]
Posted 9 minutes ago

Geoff Hobson
Editor

Following his birth on July 11, just in time for the 1989 NFL season, Bengals second-rounder Devon Still came home for the first time from the hospital dressed in a Steelers outfit.

"My dad grew me up into a Steelers fan," Still admitted after his introductory news conference at Paul Brown Stadium Saturday. "Now I have the opportunity to try to wreak havoc on my favorite team. Yes, it is very ironic."

Maybe just as ironic is that Still, a defensive tackle from Penn State, has a Pittsburgh guy for a head coach in Marvin Lewis. In Lewis' first NFL season as a coach when he was heading up the Steelers linebackers in 1992, one of his rookies was a future two-time Pro Bowler in Levon Kirkland. Kirkland just happened to be Still's cousin

"Another good second-rounder," Lewis said, when Kirkland was the 38th player that year coming out of Clemson.

Lewis knows Still waters run deep even though Still grew up in Delaware. Lewis made sure Still got No. 75, the number of every Pittsburgh kid's hero, Hall of Fame Steelers defensive lineman Joe Greene.

But make no mistake. Devon Still is a Bengal.

"This is a business," he said. "It's my job to help my team any way I can to win a game no matter who we play."

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Still-wont-baby-Steelers-Report-says-Bengals-get-Burfict-WR-insurance/d0371316-0038-4f49-8473-f3bcb068811a"]http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Still-wont-baby-Steelers-Report-says-Bengals-get-Burfict-WR-insurance/d0371316-0038-4f49-8473-f3bcb068811a[/url]

Dr T's 2-cents

As far as not understanding this pick....look at what happened at the end of last year after we lost our depth ie Sims....Run stopping game went South....They (and me...and you) don't want to see that happen again.

As far as taking plays off...yeah I've seen him do it a few times. Don't know if it was fatigue--mental or physical. The times I did see him take off a play, it was not so much he stunk up the joint...he went from kick-ass to average. There was a time where average was an upgrade for the DT's on this team. In a rotation, I sincerely doubt there will be any of that.....Same complaint about Michael Johnson coming out, but put him in a rotation, where you are not sure next time you'll step on the field, he's played his butt off every snap since he's become a Bengal. Same thing will happen with Still.

I have a gut feeling 31 teams will be kicking themselves for not taking him. When I see his game--the "quicks" of Geno that sees him regularly playing in the offensive backfield. I also see that when he is effectively blocked, he somehow manages to stear him and his blocker into the action, making his was through traffic to where the ball is going. Once upon a time the Bengals had a player like that and his name was Tim Krumrie. He would ALWAYS looked blocked, only to migrate to the ball and make the play from sideline to sideline. Hell he led our D in tackles for 2 years as a NOSE TACKLE. I see that same quality in Still, but he , of course, needs to prove it on the field at the professional level.

Also, Peko was not quite back to his old form before the knee injury. He said he was healed, but I saw him get ridden out of the play way more last year than ever before. If Peko doesn't pick up where he left off, pre-injury, I could see Still being the Starter and Peko coming off the bench for depth.

Respectfully submitted.

[quote name='Dr Tarzan' timestamp='1335714528' post='1127039']

As far as taking plays off...yeah I've seen him do it a few times. Don't know if it was fatigue--mental or physical. The times I did see him take off a play, it was not so much he stunk up the joint...he went from kick-ass to average. There was a time where average was an upgrade for the DT's on this team. In a rotation, I sincerely doubt there will be any of that.....Same complaint about Michael Johnson coming out, but put him in a rotation, where you are not sure next time you'll step on the field, he's played his butt off every snap since he's become a Bengal. Same thing will happen with Still.

[/quote]

good way of putting it. Reminds me of how I felt when I watched Quinton Coples. If he wasn't going full gear, Coples at 75% effort was still showing up more than most of the DE's I watched in the draft.

The more time I have to think about this draft, the more I come to love it - especially when it come to the DL.

You could almost have two seperate units, one for the run: Geathers, Thompson/Sims, Peko, Anderson and another for the pass: Dunlap, Atkins, Still, Johnson. I'm not suggesting they should go strictly platoon by any means (i'm sure they'll mix it up). Just saying it highlights the versatility they now have.

Still and Atkins should give us a heck of a push inside and ease the need to slide an end inside like Geathers, Rucker and Fanene in the past to get more interior pressure.

[color=#2D3E77][font=verdana, arial, helvetica][size=5][b]Penn State Football: For Devon Still, First Chat with Bengals since Combine Worth the Wait[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[b][i]Editor's note: This article was submitted by the staff of Penn State's ComRadio, which will provide draft coverage throughout the weekend from New York. [/i][/b][b][i]You can browse the organization's[size=2][u][url="http://psucommedia.com/special-coverage/story/nfl-draft/exclusive-interview-with-penn-state-dt-devon-still"]special draft coverage page[/url][/u][/size] and[/i][/b][b][i]follow it on Twitter @NFLDraftShow[/i][/b]

NEW YORK — Penn State defensive tackle Devon Still was selected 53rd overall in the NFL Draft by the Cincinnati Bengals on Friday night.

“It’s a blessing,” Still said. “I’m trying to take advantage of every opportunity I have to play with them.”

The 2011 All-American and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year had his family with him in New York, including his 2-year-old daughter, Leah.

Still, 6-foot-5, 303 pounds, was projected by many as a late-first to early second-round pick but slipped into the bottom half of the second round until the Bengals came calling, which surprised him.

“I haven’t talked to the Bengals since the (NFL Scouting) Combine, so it was a surprising pick for me,” Still said.

Still projects with the Bengals as a big body tackle that can substitute for Geno Atkins on run downs. Cincinnati also drafted Clemson defensive tackle Brandon Thompson in the third round.

Thompson provides some early competition with Still for playing time. Still said he had hoped to be the first player at his position to be drafted but instead he was seventh.

“I wasn’t a given a chance to do that,” he said, “so right now I just want to try to go out there and prove myself.”
Still says the birth of his daughter in April 2010 was a turning point in his life and helped him mature and see what was important to him.

“When you’re a parent, you always want to be able to take care of your kids,” Still said. “Being in the NFL gives me an opportunity to make sure my daughter is taken care of for the rest of her life.”

Still, one of 26 prospects invited to the draft in New York, was the second-to-last out of the Green Room — LSU wide receiver Rueben Randle was the last. Twenty of the invitees were taken in the first round.

Penn State, and the Big Ten, is known for its physical style of football, and Still is excited now to continue that at the next level in the AFC North. He is the eighth Penn State defensive lineman since 2000 to be selected in first two rounds of the draft.

“They have a hard-nosed defense up there in Cincinnati,” he said. “I can’t wait to be a part of it.”

Two of Still's cousins also have played in the NFL.

Art Still was a four-time Pro Bowl defensive end who played 10 seasons for the Kansas City Chiefs and two for the Buffalo Bills. Levon Kirkland was a two-time Pro Bowl linebacker who played nine seasons for the Pittsburgh Steelers and one each for the Seattle Seahawks and Philadelphia Eagles.

Patrick Woo is a sophomore majoring in journalism. He is a ComRadio Sports Director. To contact him, email: pww5053@psu.edu.

[url="http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-football-for-devon-still-first-chat-with-bengals-since-combine-worth-the-wait-1053042/"]http://www.statecoll...e-wait-1053042/[/url]

[b] Bengals end Still's wait[/b]

[left]NEW YORK — The wait was getting to Devon Still. He saw a Green Room at Radio City Music Hall that was filled with 26 draft prospects when the NFL draft began on Thursday dwindle to two as the second round dragged on Friday.
[/left][left][color=#2C2C2C][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]And he was one of them.[/size][/font][/color]
[/left][left][color=#2C2C2C][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Still, the Penn State defensive tackle who was born in Camden, N.J., and grew up in Wilmington was clearly upset when he wasn’t taken in the first round Thursday. So he spent the day Friday in his hotel room, playing with his 2-year-old daughter, Leah, hoping to take his mind off his disappointment.[/size][/font][/color]
[/left][left][color=#2C2C2C][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]The wait continued into the second round. Finally, Still heard his name called. The Cincinnati Bengals took him 53rd overall, the 21st pick of the second round. Just like that, everything changed.[/size][/font][/color]
[/left][left][color=#2C2C2C][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Still hugged his parents, kissed his daughter, embraced all 17 friends and family members who were in the Green Room with him. Then Still came out on stage, wearing a Bengals cap. He gave NFL commissioner Roger Goodell a long embrace and posed pictures, a feeling of relief coming over him.[/size][/font][/color]

][color=#2C2C2C][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][left]“I’m very excited,” Still said. “It was my dream to play in the NFL as a kid growing up. I’ve always took the hard road to get where I wanted to be. But I’m glad to have the opportunity to play in the NFL because not a lot of people get to do that.”[/left][/font][/color]
[/left][left][color=#2C2C2C][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Still said the wait was worth it. He had no plans of skipping the Green Room on Friday, which is what one of the six remaining draftees did when the second round started.[/size][/font][/color]
[/left][left][color=#2C2C2C][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]So Still waited. He had his family around him, and that was all that mattered to him.[/size][/font][/color]
[/left][left][color=#2C2C2C][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]“I wasn’t going to back down,” he said. “I was going to take the challenge head on. It was humbling and it was hard. It definitely took longer than I thought. I thought I was going to be an early-round pick. Whether I got picked with the first pick or the last pick of the draft, I see it as an opportunity, and I’m going to take advantage of the opportunity.”[/size][/font][/color]
[/left][left][color=#2C2C2C][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Still, who’s 6-foot-5, 303 pounds, is determined to prove that the Bengals made the right choice and that the teams who passed him up will regret it. In all, five defensive tackles were taken ahead of Still, who was named to 10 first-team All-American teams during his senior season at Penn State when he finished with 41⁄2 sacks and 17 tackles for losses and the Howard High product was named the Big Ten’s Defensive Player of the Year.[/size][/font][/color]

Still said he was surprised that the Bengals picked him. He interviewed with them in February at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis. But the Bengals were one of 22 teams that Still met with during that week.

Still didn’t hear from them again until a few minutes before their selection was official.
When that happened, “everyone was clapping. It was like the weight of the world came off his shoulders,” Still’s father, Antonio, said. “It was frustrating at first. But as soon as his name was called, it was like, everything’s OK because he has a chance to show everyone that he should have been a top pick.”

Still said it’s going to be interesting because he grew up a Steelers fan, in part because his cousin Levon Kirkland was a linebacker for them in the 1990s. Now, he’ll have to face them twice a season as a member of the Bengals.

From following the Steelers, however, Still knew that the Bengals typically have a formidable defense in order to survive in the rugged AFC North.

“It’s going to be hard going against my team, but it’s all business, no hard feelings,” Still said.

In the end, the night proved to be a coronation for Still. That’s because Still had his family and friends around him to celebrate, which they did later Friday night.

“It was a roller-coaster,” Still said. “There were a lot of emotions. But I want to make the best of this opportunity and show people why I should have been a top pick.”

[url="http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20120428/SPORTS02/120428014/Bengals-end-Still-s-wait?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports&nclick_check=1"]http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20120428/SPORTS02/120428014/Bengals-end-Still-s-wait?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports&nclick_check=1[/url][/left]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1336317966' post='1129172']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVTMgzDOcOU&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

It's funny how Mayock mentioned Thompson and Still, and we eventually got both of them.

Does Still ever smile?

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1336326085' post='1129182']
It's funny how Mayock mentioned Thompson and Still, and we eventually got both of them.

Does Still ever smile?
[/quote]

I don't give him much credit for the still pick. It leaked on twitter nearly a minute before Mayock said that, so my guess is he already knew who the pick was going to be before he said it. I actually saw him do that a few times throughout the draft.

Archived