!!!!!WITH THE 53 PICK THE BENGALS SELECT DT DEVON STILL!!!!!

[quote name='dabengals12' timestamp='1335576677' post='1124751']
I was mouthing the words Lamar Miller when they said Devon Still... Kind of disappointed with this pick. Pead went a round and a half before he was projected, we are going to mess around and be RBless... Smh...
[/quote]

a RB would be nice, but its not essential for the Bengals this year. CB, OG, WR and some form a pass rusher (apparently they think still) were all higher priorities.

I watched the BAMA and ILL videos...

My take:

Very limited on moves. He has a bull rush and swims/pushes aside more than most (tells me he's pretty strong and has decent hands). I think the lower body doesn't play very fast except for when he shows flashes of Geno. Sometimes he'll burst right out of his stance, almost unblocked, and gets in the backfield. Sometimes you'll see him disappear. He's a big guy so maybe it's fatigue? BIG 10 DPOTY... can't really argue that. In all, like I said, shows flashes of greatness but disappears a lot and to me, while maybe contrary to reports, looked like he stood around a bit much if he didn't beat his man right off the get go.

If Zimmer likes him, I like him. Go Bengals!

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335577272' post='1124782']

no he doesn't.
[/quote]

[b] Draft Analysis:[/b]

Mayock's take: "The Bengals need a big body behind Geno Atkins who can come in and play on run downs. A lot of people thought a year ago that Still would be a top-20 pick, but his tape is indifferent and inconsistent."
[b] Weaknesses[/b]

While Still can rush the passer, it is rare that he actually gets there to record the sack, as his athletic ability is rather average once he is in the open field. He works tremendously in tight quarters but doesn't display that quickness or explosion when free. This is true of his play in pursuit, as well. Once the ball gets past him, he usually is done for the play.

Poor choice of words in my original post...Basically he can rush the passer, but doesnt do shit once he gets beyond the O-Line.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1335577330' post='1124787']
I watched the BAMA and ILL videos...

My take:

Very limited on moves. He has a bull rush and swims/pushes aside more than most (tells me he's pretty strong and has decent hands). I think the lower body doesn't play very fast except for when he shows flashes of Geno. Sometimes he'll burst right out of his stance, almost unblocked, and gets in the backfield. Sometimes you'll see him disappear. He's a big guy so maybe it's fatigue? BIG 10 DPOTY... can't really argue that. In all, like I said, shows flashes of greatness but disappears a lot and to me, while maybe contrary to reports, looked like he stood around a bit much if he didn't beat his man right off the get go.

If Zimmer likes him, I like him. Go Bengals!
[/quote]

From what I have seen (game breakdowns) he seems to lose intensity later in game.. It looks like a conditioning issue to me,

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1335577405' post='1124793']
WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!!!!

Devon is a beast and this is awesome!! I think he can play some DE too.
[/quote]

Tell me some things about him. I saw 17 TFL, that is as good as sacks to me. I like DT's so this isn't bad in my opinion. I don't think Bengals need WR yet.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1335577505' post='1124802']

From what I have seen (game breakdowns) he seems to lose intensity later in game.. It looks like a conditioning issue to me,
[/quote]
[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1335579775' post='1124918']
Ahhhh, perhaps.
[/quote]

And another positive with the rotation that Zim likes to run....

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1335577509' post='1124803']

Tell me some things about him. I saw 17 TFL, that is as good as sacks to me. I like DT's so this isn't bad in my opinion. I don't think Bengals need WR yet.
[/quote]

According to the draft mag. He was the best DT of this draft. They had him going 12th in their mock.

They compare him to Kevin Wiiliams

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1335577181' post='1124778']
Not a fan of this pick. has battled injury his entire career, lacks pass rush ability and way to high for a rotational D-Lineman imo. Oh well...
[/quote]He battled back from injury to become a consensus 1st team All-America. That's a good thing.
For crying out loud, he was the Big 10 Defensive player of the year.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1335580831' post='1125020']
According to the draft mag. He was the best DT of this draft. They had him going 12th in their mock.

They compare him to Kevin Wiiliams
[/quote]

Hell yeah, Kevin Williams is/was awesome!

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1335587908' post='1125401']
whine much?
[/quote]

Not really whining...I think he is just saying what a lot of us were thinking.

Lot of positions of need but the Bengals obviously went with what they thought was BPA. Not really disappointed as much as surprised.

The Brandon Thompson pick kind of compounded the 2nd round pick's confusion.

Gotta love Hayes' quote though...."helps us break the will of people"

All these fresh guys coming in constantly against a worn down Oline combined with Hall/Kirkpatrick could be exciting to see unfold in the 4th quarter

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1335589426' post='1125431']

Not really whining...I think he is just saying what a lot of us were thinking.

Lot of positions of need but the Bengals obviously went with what they thought was BPA. Not really disappointed as much as surprised.

The Brandon Thompson pick kind of compounded the 2nd round pick's confusion.

Gotta love Hayes' quote though...."helps us break the will of people"

All these fresh guys coming in constantly against a worn down Oline combined with Hall/Kirkpatrick could be exciting to see unfold in the 4th quarter
[/quote]

Remember those close games earlier in year that we busted wide open with a big turnover late? Like that!

Archived