!!!!!WITH THE 156TH PICK THE BENGALS SELECT CB SHAUN PRATER!!!!!

With only 8 spots, the team would like to keep 4 offensive and 4 defensive players. The offensive players will be a QB, WR, OL, and RB. The defensive players will be a DL, LB, DB plus 1 wildcard. If they go 9DL, 6LB, 10DB on the 53, then the wildcard will be a second LB. Maybe they go 8DL and 7LB, or 9-7-9. In any event it's likely we will have a safety on the PS, either Sands or Iloka. Getting Prater onto the PS if we're carrying 6 on the active list seems like a longshot. Kirkpatrick is our CB of the future that we want to develop. Prater isn't necessarily ruled out but we have Hall, Kirkpatrick, Allen, and Ghee under contract in 2013 and can probably re-sign Jones or Newman if they make the 2012 roster. We'll also probably draft a CB in 2013 in the 5th round or earlier.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1335732460' post='1127259']
With only 8 spots, the team would like to keep 4 offensive and 4 defensive players. The offensive players will be a QB, WR, OL, and RB. The defensive players will be a DL, LB, DB plus 1 wildcard. If they go 9DL, 6LB, 10DB on the 53, then the wildcard will be a second LB. Maybe they go 8DL and 7LB, or 9-7-9. In any event it's likely we will have a safety on the PS, either Sands or Iloka. Getting Prater onto the PS if we're carrying 6 on the active list seems like a longshot. Kirkpatrick is our CB of the future that we want to develop. Prater isn't necessarily ruled out but we have Hall, Kirkpatrick, Allen, and Ghee under contract in 2013 and can probably re-sign Jones or Newman if they make the 2012 roster. We'll also probably draft a CB in 2013 in the 5th round or earlier.
[/quote]

I just don't see it as "hard for him to make it". I think both Prater and Iloka will easily end up on the PS if they don't make the 53man. Along with a RB, OL, and WR. Maybe 2 WR. Don't think they'll keep a DL as they are likely keeping an extra on the 53-man.

Based on who they have, I expect to see a 9-7-9 breakdown on defense.

PS being: CB, S, RB, WR, OL

The other 3 spots I think could go pretty much any way.

IMO this is the defense that will take the field for game one:

DL (9): Dunlap, Atkins, Peko, MJ, Harvey, Still, Geathers, Thompson, Anderson

LB (7): Howard, Maualuga, Lawson, Muckelroy, Moch, Skuta, [u]Burfict/Rey[/u]

DB (9): Nelson, Mays, Miles, Hall, Clements, Kirkpatrick, Jones, Allen, [u]Sands/Iloka[/u] (Newman makes it if Hall goes on PUP)

The practice squad is there for two purposes, one is to have extra guys familiar with your schemes and ready to go if the frontline players get hurt. Most teams have their 3rd QB on the practice squad and I expect we'll do that again with Robinson. The other purpose is to develop players for future use so they can get a year in an NFL strength and conditioning program and they can learn the ins and outs of the playbook while watching a lot of film and being coached on the finer points of their position.

Prater doesn't fit the ready-to-go template. If our CB group gets decimated we're more likely to bring back Rico Murray, Jonathan Wade, or Morgan Trent if they're unemployed. Prater would surely benefit from a year on the practice squad in terms of making the active roster in 2013, but he's hardly a physical specimen like Sands or Iloka. If we aren't satisfied with our 2013 CB group, we'll probably just draft a CB more highly than we will if we're happy. We draft a CB pretty much every year.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1335733736' post='1127268']
The practice squad is there for two purposes, one is to have extra guys familiar with your schemes and ready to go if the frontline players get hurt. Most teams have their 3rd QB on the practice squad and I expect we'll do that again with Robinson. The other purpose is to develop players for future use so they can get a year in an NFL strength and conditioning program and they can learn the ins and outs of the playbook while watching a lot of film and being coached on the finer points of their position.

Prater doesn't fit the ready-to-go template. If our CB group gets decimated we're more likely to bring back Rico Murray, Jonathan Wade, or Morgan Trent if they're unemployed. Prater would surely benefit from a year on the practice squad in terms of making the active roster in 2013, but he's hardly a physical specimen like Sands or Iloka. If we aren't satisfied with our 2013 CB group, we'll probably just draft a CB more highly than we will if we're happy. We draft a CB pretty much every year.
[/quote]

forgot about Robinson. That still leaves 2 open spots.

I think you underestimate Prater. He was first team All-Big Ten the last 2 years, its not like he's some small school project.

Plus, even if they chose to bring back Murray or Trent first I don't see why that would prevent them from keeping a corner (Prater or someone else) on the practice squad.

Don't see any reason to think Prater wouldn't be put on the practice squad if he didn't make the 53 man roster. To the original point, I certainly don't see it being "hard" for him to find a spot on the practice squad.

I can't EVER recall a Bengals draft pick that after being cut wasn't put on the practice squad. Sometimes a guy will get cut and claimed by another team before they have a chance to put him on the practice squad, but its a pretty safe bet to assume that if they cut a 5th round pick, they're gonna attempt to put him on the practice squad.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335737472' post='1127295']

forgot about Robinson. That still leaves 2 open spots.

I think you underestimate Prater. He was first team All-Big Ten the last 2 years, its not like he's some small school project.

Plus, even if they chose to bring back Murray or Trent first I don't see why that would prevent them from keeping a corner (Prater or someone else) on the practice squad.

Don't see any reason to think Prater wouldn't be put on the practice squad if he didn't make the 53 man roster. To the original point, I certainly don't see it being "hard" for him to find a spot on the practice squad.

I can't EVER recall a Bengals draft pick that after being cut wasn't put on the practice squad. Sometimes a guy will get cut and claimed by another team before they have a chance to put him on the practice squad, but its a pretty safe bet to assume that if they cut a 5th round pick, they're gonna attempt to put him on the practice squad.
[/quote]

What about Kelton Lindsey and Jay Finley from last year? Were they on the practice squad at any point? I know they didn't end the year there.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1335761437' post='1127422']

What about Kelton Lindsey and Jay Finley from last year? Were they on the practice squad at any point? I know they didn't end the year there.
[/quote]

Lindsay got claimed by the Cardinals.

Finley I don't remember if he was claimed by Seattle (he ended up there) or if they chose to put a different RB on the practice squad. I think it was the latter. So that would be one.

Archived