!!!!!WITH THE 166TH PICK THE BENGALS SELECT WR MARVIN JONES!!!!!

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1336394085' post='1129232']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32F2P3zaaYw[/media]
[/quote]
He's had to grow up very fast. Sounds like a very humble and responsible kid. I think he'll be a great locker room guy and will be a productive player in this league without question.

[quote name='blueridge' timestamp='1336406086' post='1129263']
Hazleton wasn't drafted because he tore up his knee. When healthy, that guy showed he has more than enough ability to be a #2 or #3 WR. Whether he ever puts it all together is another story.
[/quote]
Hazleton wasn't drafted because he tore up his knee. When healthy, that guy showed he has more than enough ability to be a #2 or #3 WR. Whether he ever puts it all together is another story.
[/quote]

I guess we'll see. There have been so many random Bengals players who would have been drafted so high if it wasn't for an injury that people thought were going to be great. Remember Matthias Askew who was a 1st round talent we stole in the 4th due to his back injury? Or the Center from LSU a few years back who so many on this board claimed would have been a really high pick if it wasn't for his injury?

The fact is that if you have talent, the NFL won't completely take you off their board due to an injury. Look at Ryan Broyles who was the 6th WR taken after a recent ACL injury. Or our very own 1st round pick a couple years back Jermaine Gresham who missed his entire senior year with a torn ACL.

In my opinion, Hazelton has never shown NFL #2 WR talent. It wasn't just an injury that kept him from being a high draft pick....

[/quote]

Hazleton had one halfway decent year at USC back in 2007 (which might as well be 100 year ago) and hasnt done anything but get hurt since. I don't think one decently productive college season 4 years ago shows that "he has more than enough ability to be a #2 or #3" NFL WR.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1336421063' post='1129301']

I guess we'll see. There have been so many random Bengals players who would have been drafted so high if it wasn't for an injury that people thought were going to be great. Remember Matthias Askew who was a 1st round talent we stole in the 4th due to his back injury? Or the Center from LSU a few years back who so many on this board claimed would have been a really high pick if it wasn't for his injury?

The fact is that if you have talent, the NFL won't completely take you off their board due to an injury. Look at Ryan Broyles who was the 6th WR taken after a recent ACL injury. Or our very own 1st round pick a couple years back Jermaine Gresham who missed his entire senior year with a torn ACL.

[/quote]

You mean ex-LSU center Ben Wilkerson? The only other UDFA other than Burfict to merit a super-long thread when he signed? After languishing on the Bengals' PS, he went to ATL and basically hung around... and reportedly was in the running for the position at Arkansas that Petrino gave to his GF that ultimately got him fired. Ben's college injury was a pretty severe one - IIRC, a broken patella.

Hard to say on your comment... Being injured can hurt your draft standing, no question, and I'm sure some NFL teams remove guys from their draft boards if their medical eval pre-draft suggests to them that your injury won't allow you to pass a phsical now, or play in the NFL at all. We'll never know in those instances, but I'm sure it happens every year.

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1335725525' post='1127208']

I don't know about that, I don't think you're giving either of those guys nearly enough credit. If he's healthy, Hazelton has more talent than any WR on this team not named AJ Green.
[/quote]

what a ridiculous statement! that you'd make it with such assuredness speaks volumes.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1336429479' post='1129343']
what a ridiculous statement! that you'd make it with such assuredness speaks volumes.
[/quote]

pure physical talent id say hazelton is 2nd on the team no doubt. that doesnt make him a good route runner, smart WR who knows how to get open or anything else. talent doesnt = success. hazelton was a top recruit at USC for a reason because he has every talent in the world. whether he puts it all together is different. he has yet to ever truly put it together in his career though

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' timestamp='1336438493' post='1129373']
pure physical talent id say hazelton is 2nd on the team no doubt. that doesnt make him a good route runner, smart WR who knows how to get open or anything else. talent doesnt = success. hazelton was a top recruit at USC for a reason because he has every talent in the world. whether he puts it all together is different. he has yet to ever truly put it together in his career though
[/quote]

let me guess....binns would be your next candidate in line, right?

smh

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1336439849' post='1129378']
let me guess....binns would be your next candidate in line, right?

smh
[/quote]

It really makes no sense. Because the guy was a high profile transfer to UC, people are convinced that he is a physical marvel. USC recruits good WR talents every year. And they haven't had a stud NFL WR in a while. Maybe Steve Smith who had a good season as a possession WR in NY.

Vidal Hazelton was beat out by a couple younger USC WRs, one of whom was Ronald Johnson who ended up being a late round pick of the 49ers who hasn't been able to make his mark in the NFL at all...Not every guy who gets a USC offer is ridiculously talented....

Also, from a pure size speed perspective, I'm pretty sure guys like Brandon Tate and the subject of this very thread, Marvin Jones are both superior to Hazelton. Both guys also put up better numbers in college and were actually drafted by NFL teams.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1336442730' post='1129386']
It really makes no sense. Because the guy was a high profile transfer to UC, people are convinced that he is a physical marvel. USC recruits good WR talents every year. And they haven't had a stud NFL WR in a while. Maybe Steve Smith who had a good season as a possession WR in NY.

Vidal Hazelton was beat out by a couple younger USC WRs, one of whom was Ronald Johnson who ended up being a late round pick of the 49ers who hasn't been able to make his mark in the NFL at all...Not every guy who gets a USC offer is ridiculously talented....

Also, from a pure size speed perspective, I'm pretty sure guys like Brandon Tate and the subject of this very thread, Marvin Jones are both superior to Hazelton. Both guys also put up better numbers in college and were actually drafted by NFL teams.
[/quote]

if you're not a fan of the cincinnati bearcats, you'd never understand the thinking, so don't waste brain cells trying. wittenburg is the local team here in the springfield area. i support the program and get fired up watching their players. but i do try to keep it in perspective, if you know what i mean. afterall, it's wittenburg.

[quote name='BlackBengal' timestamp='1336423817' post='1129312']
Hazleton had one halfway decent year at USC back in 2007 (which might as well be 100 year ago) and hasnt done anything but get hurt since. I don't think one decently productive college season 4 years ago shows that "he has more than enough ability to be a #2 or #3" NFL WR.
[/quote]

^This. I have no idea what and when a few of the posters above saw all this talent from Hazleton. The guy did absolutely zilch at UC but get injured. And when he was healthy he was a non-factor. And I am a big UC fan and have seen every UC game.

I like Binns and hope he earns a roster spot. However by no means think he is a lock to make this team. I'm anxious to see him in training camp / preseason after the coaches have talked him up.

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1336476101' post='1129429']
^This. I have no idea what and when a few of the posters above saw all this talent from Hazleton. The guy did absolutely zilch at UC but get injured. And when he was healthy he was a non-factor. And I am a big UC fan and have seen every UC game.

I like Binns and hope he earns a roster spot. However by no means think he is a lock to make this team. I'm anxious to see him in training camp / preseason after the coaches have talked him up.
[/quote]

Hazelton is very athletically gifted. If he's learned to be a good receiver behind the scenes over the last few years, he could eek out the 6th spot. Obviously he doesn't have the on field production other guys have. Thinking he could win the #2 job this year is pretty far-fetched.

Likely, I think we're gonna see 2 WR's kept on the practice squad, Hazelton being one. Moore being the other. I'd say Whalen, but IMO Whalen will be claimed by the Colts (who have Luck, Fleener, and his lil' brother griff whalen) pretty quickly.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1336429479' post='1129343']
[/quote]

Lol

lighten up francis....I'm simply talking about pure athletic talent as a WR. The kid's got bigtime talent. Makes no difference whatsoever if he can't stay healthy though. I certainly won't be holding my breath.

Personally, I think it's going to be real interesting in the WR room. I still think they were comfortable with the young guys they had before the draft, but Sanu and Jones both bring intriguing traits to the team. Sanu seems to be able to play both inside and outside, and with 115 catches last year, he has shown he will go and get it. Jones, coming from a WCO, should be a great fit systemwise, and seems sneaky fast and a good technical receiver. This looks to be really exciting.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1336571947' post='1129684']
Personally, I think it's going to be real interesting in the WR room. I still think they were comfortable with the young guys they had before the draft, but Sanu and Jones both bring intriguing traits to the team. Sanu seems to be able to play both inside and outside, and with 115 catches last year, he has shown he will go and get it. Jones, coming from a WCO, should be a great fit systemwise, and seems sneaky fast and a good technical receiver. This looks to be really exciting.
[/quote]

can't wait to see how the WR corp shakes out. There's currently 12 WR's on the roster and I could see as many as 10 of them being good enough to earn one of the 6 spots.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1336478538' post='1129436']
Hazelton is very athletically gifted. If he's learned to be a good receiver behind the scenes over the last few years, he could eek out the 6th spot. Obviously he doesn't have the on field production other guys have. Thinking he could win the #2 job this year is pretty far-fetched.

Likely, I think we're gonna see 2 WR's kept on the practice squad, Hazelton being one. Moore being the other. I'd say Whalen, but IMO Whalen will be claimed by the Colts (who have Luck, Fleener, and his lil' brother griff whalen) pretty quickly.
[/quote]

I think Whalen would be good trade bait for the Colts, teaming Whalen with Luck(they are bff's) would be great for the Colts to help ease Luck's transition into the NFL with some familiar faces who he already has timing and repoire.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1336572736' post='1129690']
I think Whalen would be good trade bait for the Colts, teaming Whalen with Luck(they are bff's) would be great for the Colts to help ease Luck's transition into the NFL with some familiar faces who he already has timing and repoire.
[/quote]

maybe, but I think the colts would be hardpressed to trade for a guy who probably won't make the team anyway, especially when they are first in line for any waiver claims.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1336572736' post='1129690']
[/quote]
If they can get anything for him, fine, but I think teams have learned not to try and reconstruct college powerhouses (see: Holtz' Jets, Spurrier's Redskins, Pitino's Celtics). If you think that Luck throwing the ball to Trojans and Golden Bears will win you one more game than getting the gang back together, you do it.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1336572376' post='1129687']
can't wait to see how the WR corp shakes out. There's currently 12 WR's on the roster and I could see as many as 10 of them being good enough to earn one of the 6 spots.
[/quote]

it's going to be so nice having training camp in cincinnati. we won't have to wait until the preseason games to watch all that talent in action. it's a mere 90 minute drive for me now. hell, i even have family down there, if i want to stay and do a two-for. i can't wait!

[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,][url="https://twitter.com/#!/MarvinJones_1"][b]Marvin Jones[/b] [size=4]‏[/size] [s]@[/s][b]MarvinJones_1[/b][/url][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=HelveticaNeue,]Cincy, I'm on my way... [url="https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23WhoDey"][s]#[/s][b]WhoDey[/b][/url]!!! [url="http://t.co/8cJfl1xF"]http://instagr.am/p/KcmPAqydKN/[/url][/font][/color]
[url="https://twitter.com/#"][b]Hide photo[/b][/url][list]
[*][b][img]http://distilleryimage1.instagram.com/2f4e9e629a9f11e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg[/img][/b]
[/list]

Archived